• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic Lumix dmc-g1... (1 Viewer)

idaho john

Does anyone on the forum know of an aftermarket book on the G1 that is a easier to understand? Something better organized - with specific examples.

John

2nd question...

So - if no information or aftermarket user guide for the DMC-G1 (in english anyway and not the scam book re info taken from Wiki), if those of you who may have owned or used both the G1 and G2 are they similar enough (except for video) that the aftermarket guide for the G2 work for the G1?

John

My impression is that most panasonic cameras have a good deal of similarities. Therefore, purely a guess, I would expect the G2 book to be helpful. There is bound to be something added from the G1, but likely most it will be possible to find in the menus.

Niels

and...

Thanks Niels for your reply. I think I am going to go ahead and give the book a try...and keep using the camera even though there are so many things I do not understand.

And thanks for your reply on the question about the Thrush family.

John

and...

first afternoon of serious photographing of birds in my area...

I am so new, I don't know what to post with this pic, but

- lumix dmc-g1

- vario g 100-300mm lens

- jpeg

it was cropped and enhanced (and by that I mean that the editing software - Silkypics - says it is enhanced).

I am not pleased with it, but I also have to say that after a day of shooting (and learning a new camera and being new to photography) that this was the best of what I took. Raptors remain irritatingly reluctant to pose for me, despite my being a ways off from them. I have come to believe that they are all republicans and in a snoot since Obama won the election in November. Anyway...

I am open to criticism and suggestions here (about the photo) ;).

John

Attachments

• Phil - the mighty English Sparrow.jpg
    Phil - the mighty English Sparrow.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 144
Hi John,
The Exif information about your camera settings appears to have been removed from this picture. If you can manage to leave it embedded in the image file we can all see exactly what you have done, and comment more usefully where appropriate. I like this shot. The lighting and composition are good and the bird isn't too big in the frame - I personally like to see a bit of 'habitat'. Maybe try a faster shutter speed next time, minimum 500s to get the image sharper. Anyway I didn't know you had House Sparrows in Idaho! Why not though they seem to be everywhere else? As for the raptors - let them stay in a snoot :) but maybe I shouldn't get into politics here! Cheers, Keith.

and...

Keith: thank you for your reply. When I say that I don't know very much about cameras, I mean it. I don't know what EVIF is or how to turn it on or off.

As far as House Sparrows go, I thought they were everywhere.;)

My dad called them English Sparrows when I was very little and then when I was older and would go birding with him, he called them Weavers one afternoon. I like them - despite the level of irritation that most around me seem to feel for them.

Of all the gifts we've received from our home country (England), in many ways I like these little folks the most. However, Starlings on the other hand...:C

Your comments are appreciated.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back