• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic G1 or new super zoom? (1 Viewer)

flossiepip

I have the Canon SX30 and it has given me some good results and a super zoom seems to suit my style of birding very well. I have been steadly saving up for the SX40/50 which would I guess be logical. That said I do struggle with small fast birds and birds in flight.
Now for alot less money I can pick up a near mint used camera like the Panasonic DMC G1 or maybe an Olympus EPL-1. So before I part with my hard won dollars for a new super zoom, would one of these make a better alternative with the right lens, or would a good 100-300 lens make it to dear?

I think there are pros and cons that you need to weigh yourself. When I switched from superzoom to m4/3, I waited until the combination of 100-300 and GH2 made it worth it for me: significantly better low iso performance, a good enough long lens, and autofocus that is good enough for my use. Given that GH3 is just around the corner, GH2 will soon be available discounted or second hand, and likewise, G3 is much better value now after G5 has come out. However, will you have enough money for this level of camera/lens (quick ebay search will give you a rough estimate)? and also, I do not know if the superzooms have caught up sufficiently to make my combo not very much better? Low iso on a superzoom has definitely improved.

No matter what -- I would not buy a camera without a view finder for birds.

More discussion in this thread http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=240807

Niels

personally i am happy with the results i get form (EPL1 + Lumix 100-300mm). and strongly recommend it. but a quick look at the amazon shows that you can get a new body only of EPL2 at about 200USD. of course the used EPL1 body only can be in less than 150 USD.

not sure if you are comfortable with using the live view, if so then you will be happy with the EPL. the Lumix 100-300mm, work in a nice way with it and give a real fast focus, and the OIS in it works so well. for me as i seldom go above ISO 800 i find the results really nice, a little bit of noise reduction maybe from a PSE or the free photofilter will help to get nice clean shots.

the G1 will have a built in electronic view finder but no in body IS, which you will not use anyway if you got the Lumix.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back