• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds youve seen at work (1 Viewer)

Back in the "Swiss office" this week, and nice to see (and hear) a couple of dozen Alpine Swift back in town.

The best I've seen was a pair of peregrines contemplating pigeons from the University of London's Senate House.

The most interesting was a herring gull devouring a freshly run-over feral pigeon.

From office in Calder Valley:

Peregrine & raven over.
Grey wagtail
Goldfinch
Wren
Blackbird
Song thrush, chiffchaff heard
Jackdaws
Chaffinch
Greenfinch

Not sure if this counts but my patch is a tree and shrub-covered roundabout and a now redeveloped pitch and putt golf course at Hong Kong International Airport.

I have an inside office with no windows, so don't have that many actually from the building, but my list for this very small area, which I work at lunchtimes when I'm free is over 180 taxa (including identifiable races) in a bit less than five years.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=242877&page=22.

I've also attached a map to show the size of the patch.

Top birds have included Hong Kong's second Middendorff's Grasshopper Warbler and other species with less than 20 records including Rustic Bunting, Naumann's Thrush and Sulphur-Breasted Warbler, plus some spectacular sightings including 20-odd Oriental Pratincoles, 5 Oriental Plovers, 11 Grey-headed Lapwings, Little Curlew, Japanese Paradise Flycatcher, Siberian Blue and Rufous-tailed Robins.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• Magic RDBT + Middendorff's location.jpg
    Magic RDBT + Middendorff's location.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 39
Good Morning All

I work at, for now, two different apartment complexes here in the Las Vegas Metro area.

I always see Rock Doves, Mourning Doves, Eurasian Collarded Doves, Finches, Sparrows, Great Tailed Grackles, and lately early in the day the American Robin. We also see Crows occasionally, and there is an Owl hanging around someplace (I hear him or her on and off through out the day.)

You should have titled this thread 'Birds you've seen, while you should have been at work'

I could have contributed a large number of species over the last 25 years!

cheers, alan

Last week heading into my school lab building I disturbed a goldfinch in such a way as to make me suspect it might be nesting - sadly later in the week this was confirmed when I found its dislodged nest on the path.

The local peregrines in the centre of Bristol have fledged two juveniles (a male and a female) and are providing some work entertainment for me. Sadly, I cannot see their main perches from my desk but I am treated to various aerial performances and a short 2 minute walk normally provides very good views. A few shots from today of the adults.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Peregrine (3).jpg
    Peregrine (3).jpg
    697.6 KB · Views: 73
  • Peregrine (4).jpg
    Peregrine (4).jpg
    639.2 KB · Views: 70
  • Peregrine (5).jpg
    Peregrine (5).jpg
    646.3 KB · Views: 76
  • Peregrine (6).jpg
    Peregrine (6).jpg
    636.8 KB · Views: 67
  • Peregrine (7).jpg
    Peregrine (7).jpg
    600.6 KB · Views: 80
And a few of the youngsters.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Peregrine (1).jpg
    Peregrine (1).jpg
    598.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Peregrine (2).jpg
    Peregrine (2).jpg
    498.1 KB · Views: 64
  • Peregrine (8).jpg
    Peregrine (8).jpg
    465.9 KB · Views: 68
  • Peregrine (9).jpg
    Peregrine (9).jpg
    181 KB · Views: 66
  • Peregrine (10).jpg
    Peregrine (10).jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 59
On my rare visits to our office north of Edgeware (very north London) I've discovered it's not bad for BOPs. So far: Buzzard, Red Kite, Kestrel and Sparrowhawk.

Best birds from my office in the last few years: a singing Icterine Warbler (very scarce breeder in southern Germany), many Alpine Swifts (breeding nearby) and group of Common Cranes migrating overhead.

Most birds seen during lenghty telephone calls...

I once had a hoopoe in my office. I found it with a broken wing at Hong Kong Airport and kept it safe until the animal rescue crew arrived. Happy to say it made a complete recovery and was released.

Cheers
Mike

I work on the Steelworks on Teesside. The site is situated on the south edge of the Tees Estuary and coast.

It depends on what you mean by "what you have seen at work".

Birds seen whilst going about my normal job include things like Yellow Browed Warbler, Waxwing, Crossbill and common migrants in the bushes behind the office block. Flyovers include Honey Buzzard, Long & Short Eared Owls, skeins of geese etc.

If I can count birds seen on/from the site then it's much better. The fly through Sandhill Crane was seen from the roof of Steel House, the sites main office block. I did get a few strange looks when I dashed through the offices and onto the roof with scope & tripod that day.

Great Knot, Short Billed & Long Billed Dowitchers, White Rumped Sand have all roosted on the site. Lesser Crested Tern, Roseate Terns,Long Tailed Skuas, Sabs Gull have all been seen in the river mouth from the site.

I could technically include South Gare as most of this area is owned by the steel firm. The access road is a private road and is closed one day per year to maintain the rights. South Gare would add a much longer list of rare & scarce migrants I have seen there over the years.

Much more difficult to bird on site nowadays, due to partial change of ownership, health & safety etc. Wandering around site on my own is now frowned upon.

It was good whilst it lasted

Martyn

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back