• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nightjar (1 Viewer)

CWOBrien

Hi there,

Not an easy assignment, I know, but I'd like to go looking for (European) nightjars this year.

Does anyone have any tips for when and how is best to find nightjars in Britain/Ireland. Is it best to see them on passage? What time of year? Habitat preferences?

Any and all tips would be greatly appreciated!

Almost any heathland in southern England, at dusk, from approx 20 May until early August. Not a difficult bird to get provided it's not windy or cold when you try. I'd think there's RSPB reserves which will hold special guided Nightjar evenings.

Much rarer in Ireland; only 4 or 5 locations mapped in the 2007-11 Atlas. Sadly, chances of seeing them on your home turf very low.

They're very easy to find on a summer's night in the New Forest - fly into Southampton, direct train to Beaulieu for a night and if you don't mind staying up late you're pretty much guaranteed to see a few :)

As part of the Stour Ringing Group that has been studying Nightjars and has ringed over 1300 of them, I can say that they are very easy to see and hear but you don't get great views due to the low light levels. However if you came to Poole in Dorset when we were doing a Nightjar ringing demonstration you should (no guarantees) see them in the field and in the hand. These are run by the local council in conjunction with our group. See https://www.facebook.com/events/706298159560083/

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back