• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron Discovery 7x42 (1 Viewer)

Petrus82

Looking at the Opticron brochure, it would appear a 7x42 model is coming in the Discovery range. This is a very interesting and welcome development. I am very fond of the Discovery model. Does anyone know when these are available?

First shipment arrived in the warehouse this week and is in in-bound QC so we should have them ready in a week or so.

Cheers, Pete

Yes Bob - that's the one.

The MSRP of the BX2 (was $389) suggests it is probably in a different performance class than the Discovery range, probably more like an older variant of our Natura line.

But we'll get review units out soon so we can get some independent views on how it performs.

Troubador saw an early version of it at Birdfair last year and seemed to be quite impressed.

Cheers, Pete

First shipment arrived in the warehouse this week and is in in-bound QC so we should have them ready in a week or so.

Cheers, Pete

Pete,

Can I ask what the rationale was for introducing a 7x42 in the Discovery range? It’s a welcome, if a little unusual, move.

It was requested by one of our biggest US customers because there is no 7x42 roof prism binocular in that price/performance range.

Cheers, Pete

Last edited:
It was requested by one of our biggest US customers because there is no 7x42 roof prism binocular in that price/performance range.

Cheers, Pete

Pete,

You are to be commended for being so intrepid! :t:

There haven't been any moderately priced 7x42s made AFAIK since the Meade Montana 7x42 and Leupold 7x42 Hawthorne were discontinued.

They serve a purpose for those who like to bird in close quarters in the brush or woodlands or jungles or who hunt in similar places without having to Max out a Credit Card to get one of the few high end 7x42s still being made.

Depth of Field is their forte!:king:

Bob

Last edited:
Very nice to see a new 7x42. 7x is my favourite magnification

Any chance of a dba vid version in 7x35?

I would be interested in a decent 7x35 because my Nikon EDG 7x42s feel too heavy at times.

I am also delighted that Opticron are releasing the Disco 7x. I've had a couple of 8x42s and they were very good for the money. Interestingly, for Opticron, they seem to have a good field of view. The increased depth of field that the 7x will bring, combined with a close focus of 1.5m should make these very good bins for butterfly watching as well as birding on dull days.

I am also delighted that Opticron are releasing the Disco 7x. I've had a couple of 8x42s and they were very good for the money. Interestingly, for Opticron, they seem to have a good field of view. The increased depth of field that the 7x will bring, combined with a close focus of 1.5m should make these very good bins for butterfly watching as well as birding on dull days.

Swarovski Man,

The only thing I would note is that an experienced birder like you would need something with a higher magnification for the coast. I know you do a lot of coastal work in your professional capacity.

I am happy to report that I should have a 7x42 Discovery in hand some time in the next week or two. More to follow.... ;)

Just got word that the bins made it stateside so I should have them in hand before the end of the week. Looking forward to them.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back