• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From the sketchbook... (2 Viewers)

Set up another easel next to that one and add another couple of pics; Instant Rick Wakeman of art! I love the idea that splashes of paint could be 'life-threatening'. I know exactly what you mean though... just never move the cushion on the armchair in my conservatory!

The eider is a real beauty already, looks as though there's not much left to do on that one.

Mike

living dangerously with those paint splashes, I still get moaned at for having stained a table two years ago. The Glauc is coming along a treat, great big nose of a bird, superb. They remind me a bit of ponies.

Hmm, I feel like Eiders - oddly enough there is a pair that nest in the region, that stayed one year after an influx. Looks a very tidy bird against his choppy habitat, very nice.

Looks a very tidy bird against his choppy habitat, very nice.

Spot on, Nick - you know when there's a bit of a blow if a drake eider's plumage gets a tad ruffled! Alan's caught that indomitable persona perfectly - just on the look-out for a bit of Oooooowwwahh.

wow Alan what a do....very artistic, and I like the paintings too..
Thanks for the gull info, I'm woefully uninformed, my gull id is: brown ones grey and white ones, smaller and bigger :-O....but with the page link I can see some difference, think I'd have to be with an experienced birder to id for me. I can tell a ringbill now.
I love gulls who've been in my life since I was literally a baby in sand in So California where I was born....but haven't tried to paint them yet. My fave so far is that back view...

Alan,
Gulls are great (keep watching my thread and you'll see I rather like sketching 'em) but white-winged gulls are the bees knees ( I rather prefer something a tad cruder here). This glauc is superbly caught. I've not yet had the oppo to sketch either glauc or Iceland (not with any conviction anyway) but there's something about that imm plumage thats likened to weetabix, porridge oats ( I was gonna say Ready-brek but you won't have heard of that in Sweden) and mushroom soup. I love that beady-eyed lok on 1st winters, too.

Please sir, can we have some more white-wings.

Russ

Bit of fun first, used to do these a lot when I was a teen, imaginary hybrid species, or on occasion completely made up species.

Drawn on April Fools Day through beer googles...Blue Eared Wheathroat, a male in full summer plumage...

Attachments

• Wheatthroat!.jpg
    Wheatthroat!.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 56
Sketches from this morning. Migrants back so far are few, some Terns, the first few Chiff Chaff etc, so a good time to get out and draw before the rarities become a distraction.

Common Buzzards are back, displaying pair on view today, as were a pair of dancing Lapwings, don't they look great in the air. Yellowhammer here too...

All I had in the satchel was a blue biro, god knows where I lose my black ones...

Attachments

• Yellowhammer.jpg
    Yellowhammer.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 55
  • Common Buzzard.jpg
    Common Buzzard.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Displaying Lapwings.jpg
    Displaying Lapwings.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
This Nuthatch singing its heart out for 45 minutes and was a real star model, still going strong when I left it....

Attachments

• Nuthatch.jpg
    Nuthatch.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 57
  • Singing Nuthatch.jpg
    Singing Nuthatch.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 63
  • Displaying Nuthatch.jpg
    Displaying Nuthatch.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
you mean he stayed in one place that long? I've been eyeing the little ones lately, cant draw fast enough yet, they aren't there long enough for me to even get bins to my eyes...also like the prev flight sketches

Where is that gull painting....;)

you mean he stayed in one place that long? I've been eyeing the little ones lately, cant draw fast enough yet, they aren't there long enough for me to even get bins to my eyes...also like the prev flight sketches

Where is that gull painting....;)

Hi there Colleen, as you have noticed, its rare to get these guys static at all, so this chap was a nice bonus. a lot of smaller birds will stay stationary for longer than usual whilst singing, always a good time to sketch them.

The Glauc painting is casting its beady eye on me as I type, will post the results when he's fully dressed in acrylic attire.

These are pure genius, Alan - the final nuthatch sketch is requiring of a frame, methinks. Buzzards are perfect too and, yes - lappies are wonderful on the wing, as are these on the page.
Where did you see the b-e wheathroat?? - I've been after one for yonks!! :)

all of it just magical, how do you manage to make the nuthatch so 'real', it's the one bird that each time I try to draw it, I end up drawing a cartoon image that bears no ressemblance to what I saw. Truly stunning.

Very striking! And certainly puts my fieldwork from this morning to shame. I love the buzzards and the nuthatches.

And I am glad you explained the color! But it doesn't seem to have hurt the drawings at all, and maybe even added a little surprise.

Another set of simply sublime drawings here, Alan. Shall I try a biro? Another question then, mate: surely these aren't done with a black Bic, can I ask what pen you are using? A magic one by the looks of these!
Yes, as Tim mentions it's great to see the smudging work on the sketches. I try this a bit myself, but don't see that much it, which is a shame.

Russ

Another set of simply sublime drawings here, Alan. Shall I try a biro? Another question then, mate: surely these aren't done with a black Bic, can I ask what pen you are using? A magic one by the looks of these!
Yes, as Tim mentions it's great to see the smudging work on the sketches. I try this a bit myself, but don't see that much it, which is a shame.

Russ

Hi Russ, not a bic on this occasion, but they are in fact my favourite biro to use due to the fine ballpoint tip. Just a bog standard blue ballpoint biro on this occasion, a nordic office biro, cheap as chips, which is just as well at the rate I misplace them! Smudging works great with biro ink and saves lots of time and light hatching.

I love all your "blue birds" too, and especially the nuthatch, wonderful little birds, and what a treat to find one for such a long time - as you say a double bonus, lots of song, plus a good model. Thanks for sharing them.

First of all a Caspian Tern from yesterday. This is a bird I really struggle with on the deck, hard to get that gargantuan bill right in relation to the rest of the bird, it looks like it should be heavy enough to stop the poor sod taking off, yet these birds hold it rather high generally.(They even manage to look rather gracefull in the process)
Anyhow, I digress...

Attachments

• Caspian 1.jpg
    Caspian 1.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 42
  • Caspian 2.jpg
    Caspian 2.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Caspian 3.jpg
    Caspian 3.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Caspian 4.jpg
    Caspian 4.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Caspian 5.jpg
    Caspian 5.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 44
Lapwing painting...

Was up at the crack of dawn to go fishing for Pike today, arrived on site, set up the rods and sat back. Half an hour later I was under a full on blizzard. Rather bizarre to watch an Osprey hovering in a blizzard, which I spent a while doing. Then the Lapwings started to display and I was struck by the effect of the dark sky as a backdrop, the whites giving the scen a real impact.
Seeing as I was freezing my butt of and catching nothing I decided to go home and paint the scene using the sketch from the other day. Not my usual thing, but wanted a simple, graphic image. All but finished, a tiny bit of detail needed on the face of the lower bird in retrospect...
Tough one to photograph, but turned out okay...

Acrylic on Canvas; 96"x14" (Sorry about the lack of metric, alway got on better with inches, about 120cmx25cm!)

Attachments

• Lapwings 1.jpg
    Lapwings 1.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 45
  • Lap Detail.jpg
    Lap Detail.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back