• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From the sketchbook... (4 Viewers)

Can only agree with the comments above - awesome sketches! There are a couple of piedflys that are in real danger of springing off the page and one whitethroat that is more perfect and alive than would seem possible. Absolutely superb!

Stunning set, Alan (I adore that last Yellowhammer)! Was admiring these on the blog earlier, don't think I commented then (was supposed to be working at the time o:D), loved your lapwing piece -- very stylized feel to it.

I shall have to come back and enjoy these at my leisure this evening, for the moment I'm just trying to catch up on the forum. I shall come back with a cup of tea later! Can't wait!

I was right - superb stuff - I still don't know how you manage to capture those liquid forms with such decisive lines - just the shape of your bird on a blank page describes its path across a whole unseen background.

Their back again...two dawn trips, a few sketches here. Planning on more outings to see these over the next few weeks...

Attachments

• d1.jpg
    d1.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 57
  • d2.jpg
    d2.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 51
  • d3.jpg
    d3.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 45
  • d4.jpg
    d4.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 51
  • d5.jpg
    d5.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 62
great series- love the lwow-in-the-water bodies and that flared "cobra" neck on pic #2

Have been watching these birds for many hours Ed, am completely taken by them. Trying to get enough reference together to do them justice. Watching them in the water feeding they most often stay very low in the water and appear serpintine. The neck though is most amazing to me, how they can flare it and appear to pinch the base of the neck. The black throat changes shape constantly, often in shadow as is the head, the eye often invisible.

BTDs are brilliant!

Love the forms you've sculpted here!

Kurt Wallander has nothing on your "bird jizz detective powers!"

Seen many of the birds you've represented in North Poland. All is truth here!

Amazingly viscerely lovely in every way!

I love these BTD's Alan. Black, white and grey - what a combination! They seem to glide through the water and the last of your series of five is an absoloute corker with the head slightly tilted. Sublime draftsmanship.

Russ

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back