• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is the best identification bird book for a trip to Argentina? (1 Viewer)

You have two options:

- Birds of Southern South America and Antarctica by Martin de la Pena
- Birds of Argentina and Uruguay by Tito Narosky

Since they are not comparable in quality with the Collins Guide for Europe, you may consider to add following ones:

- Field Guide to the Birds of South America: Non-Passerines byJorge R Roderiguez Mata, Francisco Erize and Maurice Rumboll
- Field Guide to the Birds of South America: Passerines by Guy Tudor and Robert S. Ridgely

- Field Guide to the Birds of South America: Non-Passerines byJorge R Roderiguez Mata, Francisco Erize and Maurice Rumboll
- Field Guide to the Birds of South America: Passerines by Guy Tudor and Robert S. Ridgely

These are the two I used in and around Ibera, Corrientes in 2014, and I found them adequate (which is not to say that I managed to put a name to absolutely everything, but who ever manages that in a new country 8-P )

Hope you have a great time if you go, I found it an excellent area to bird.

All the best

James

Another vote for the Field Guide to the Birds of South America two-piece from me. The passerine volume is a lot better i.m.o. but very bulky. You could opt to cut it in half and have the plates/maps section bound separately.

Is the "Field Guide to the Birds of South America: Non-Passerines" the same book then "Birds of South America: Non-Passerines: Rheas to Woodpeckers (Princeton Illustrated Checklists)"?

Is the "Field Guide to the Birds of South America: Non-Passerines" the same book then "Birds of South America: Non-Passerines: Rheas to Woodpeckers (Princeton Illustrated Checklists)"?

Correct.

Princeton published also "Birds of South America: Passerines: Sapayoa to Finches (Princeton Illustrated Checklists)" by Van Perlo

Which one has better drawings? "Birds of South America: Passerines: Sapayoa to Finches" or "Field Guide to the Birds of South America: Passerines".

depending upon where you're going in Argentina... If you're heading west (Andes) or Southern Patagonia I'd recommend bringing Jaramillo's Birds of Chile as well. It certainly served us really well. :)

depending upon where you're going in Argentina... If you're heading west (Andes) or Southern Patagonia I'd recommend bringing Jaramillo's Birds of Chile as well. It certainly served us really well. :)

Agree. For Patagonia the Jaramillo book is the best option.

Which one has better drawings? "Birds of South America: Passerines: Sapayoa to Finches" or "Field Guide to the Birds of South America: Passerines".
Almost everyone can produce a better drawing than Van Perlo.
The second book is great (although as with anything ever produced by Ridgely the pictures are incomplete – so only 9.9 out of 10).

Or just not take so many clothes. If you don't stink on the way home you've miscalculated. Or is that just me. I'll get my (foetid) coat....

:t: yep that's the way I roll too. I didn't mind lugging the thing around in my day pack but it's not exactly 'field guide' format :)

The forthcoming Pearman fieldguide to Argentina is one of the most needed books there is. Also one of the most delayed unfortunately.

Steve

The forthcoming Pearman fieldguide to Argentina is one of the most needed books there is. Also one of the most delayed unfortunately.

Steve

Yes, I no longer describe such oft-delayed books as "forthcoming." Along with Zimmer's guide to the birds of Brazil, and the second edition of Birds of East Africa, it's probably more apt to call them "proposed."

I used this book also
Birds of Argentina and Uruguay by Tito Narosky

But now exists also Helm Field Guide

Birds of Argentina: v. 1-2 (Helm Field Guides) 1. Januar 2014
Mark Pearman

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back