• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2019 - New models EL (1 Viewer)

By the way, I just attended the grand opening of a birding store (we finally have an alpha optics dealer in town) and saw Swaro's binocular eyepiece on the ATX scope. In a word, wow! Really amazing comfortable view. It seems a bit much to lug around (I don't even have a scope myself), but maybe not compared to a 95mm full bino. The only variable magnification is by adding in a 1.4x converter, but still... wow.

I hate to be that guy that makes corrections but it might matter to some in their shopping process, that converter is 1.7x, and yes, … wow.;)

Unless my sources are wrong, there not ready yet. I hear it's 2020 for the release.

The 4th Gen EL's are something completely different....FOV is better than the Zeiss SF. Lighter than the old EL's..New coatings to achieve higher transmission. Larger focus wheel...

There goin blow the Zeiss SF out of the water ...

Cheers Tim

Unless my sources are wrong, there not ready yet. I hear it's 2020 for the release.

The 4th Gen EL's are something completely different....FOV is better than the Zeiss SF. Lighter than the old EL's..New coatings to achieve higher transmission. Larger focus wheel...

Cheers Tim

None of that sounds like it will blow SF out.
Only thing intriguing here to me is lighter weight.

I doubt only new coatings will make the bino brighter enough for
the eye to detect. They'd have to use HT glass or increase exit pupil size if they want it brighter than it already is and brighter than SF.

I can't imagine FOV would be much wider than SF. It would have to be wider enough for people to notice.

Larger focus wheel. I think it's fine as is.

Lighter weight sounds good though.

I do wonder how you would know all of this secret info so far out from its alleged release.

Current EL is great. Hope they don't ruin it. Hope they don't go with garish aesthetic design of new CL.

Last edited:
Maybe they are going to reduce the magnification from 8.5x to 8.0x so they can catch up on brightness and fov.

Lee

Cheers Tim

I suppose they've got to try something and can't just bring out another new strap design, but it's hard to believe they've got all that much to play with when it comes to FOV if they're going to keep the long eye relief, 8.5x and edge to edge flat field. Lee might be right about bringing out a new 8.0x, but I can't imagine they'll drop the 8.5x as it's kind of their flagship. I think they could drop the eye relief a little on the 8.5x and increase the FOV from 7.6 to say 7.8 deg without too much compromise. If they could reach 8.0 deg on the 8.5x that would be fantastic and pretty much match the SF for AFOV, but still a way off on FOV.

To my knowledge Swarovski uses selected user en consumer groups to identify the needs for new or improved products and what they do very well, is to design it, make it, check the new instruments and when everything is ready to go, the new instruments are produced and when enough supply is available they come on the market and generally are directly available, something not every company does. So this topic will undoubtedly be read by Swarovski and when the company does not see a need to invest in new products it will not be done, despite this discussion.
Gijs van Ginkel

No Bullshit ...I don't post rumours.
That's what I heard from a good source.

The only caveat is fov. I'm not sure how it can be achieved ..The Zeiss SF are pushing the boundaries of what is possible at the moment, unless they go down the route of the Nikon SX which is impractical in my opinion because of added the cost, size and weight.

I wonder if it's possible to have a interchangeable lense system. I.e. A 42mm Body with interchangeable bayonet lenses units?

Cheers Tim

Last edited:
No Bullshit ...I don't post rumours.
That's what I heard from a good source.

The only caveat is fov. I'm not sure how it can be achieved ..The Zeiss SF are pushing the boundaries of what is possible at the moment, unless they go down the route of the Nikon SX which is impractical in my opinion because of added the cost, size and weight.

I wonder if it's possible to have a interchangeable lense system. I.e. A 42mm Body with interchangeable bayonet lenses units?

Cheers Tim

Its an interesting idea Tim but for sure would add cost and weight. Zeiss 7x42 had the same eyepiece as the 8x and achieved the 7x and much wider fov with a shorter objective added on, but of course this was not user-changeable.

Lee

Hi Lee..

I agree, but I just don't know how it would be possible to increase the fov beyond that of the Zeiss SF ...
I was just wondering how on earth it could be achieved ..

I'll message you later my friend

Cheers Tim

ticl2184,
Hans Hensold has made such a binocular with two different objective lens units which can be changed through a bayonet mount. It never became popular (a test and description can be found on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor under "verrekiijkers testen en vergelijken", it is a powerpoint of a presentation at the BHS in Muenich in 2017.
Gijs van Ginkel

If Swarovski feels the need to make anything Zeiss has made,they can and will do so, if they feel a need. With their sales targets doing quite well I do not think they feel the pressure. I would think the sales of their existing glass surpasses those from Zeiss.

Andy W.

Last edited:
ticl2184,
Hans Hensold has made such a binocular with two different objective lens units which can be changed through a bayonet mount. It never became popular (a test and description can be found on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor under "verrekiijkers testen en vergelijken", it is a powerpoint of a presentation at the BHS in Muenich in 2017.
Gijs van Ginkel

There's also Leica's Duovid with 8+12x42 or 10+15x50 powers.

There's also Leica's Duovid with 8+12x42 or 10+15x50 powers.

True but these come with drawbacks: for example the 42mm model weighs more than a kilo and set to 8x only has a fov of 118m. But it is an option that no other brand provides.

Lee

The EL SV's outsell Zeiss Sf's and everything Leica by a wide margin. Why would you guys think they need improving so much?

Current market position is not a good excuse for complacency. Looking at the pro and prosumer DSLR market, Nikon has been out innovating Canon and delivering better products to market of late, and swings in sales are starting to reflect it. Perhaps Canon will respond and reclaim their lost market share or perhaps Nikon will continue to chip away at the beheamoth. The American car industry has demonstrated the fallacy of complacency numerous times as well over the past 50 years.

I for one would love to see a new EL that aims to outdo the SF. Competition among manufacturers benefits end users most of the time.

I don't know how there going to do it, but Swarovski are capable of coming up with radical design's...Look at the Modular scope concept for example.

Would interchangeable ultra wide angle eyepiece units even be feasible, which also ensure Alpha quality images ?

Cheers Tim

It is nice to sit here as bino fans and dream of new binoculars, however Swarovski is running a business of what sells, do you think they don't know what sells?
Cameras and lens manufacture is different from the binocular industry, it represents a much greater division in both Canon and Nikon, the Manufacture of Binoculars to both of those companies is peanuts compared to that division.
The only glass that is coming out now in droves are the low/mid range with every brand trying to get into the disposable binocular marketplace, and in a couple of years others will join Zen Ray,... Alpen was the last. Nikon appears to rule this section of market. Disposable products.

Swarovski sells high end products, I think they know a think or two about selling binoculars among other things.

The auto industry is a whole other animal all together. Most people need or have a car, owners of binoculars are few compared to that.

Andy W.

Does the 8.5x actually need more fov ? after all its 0.1 deg short of the NV/HT.

more fov is always nice I suppose but I'd agree, the 8.5x is not exactly lacking in with an AFOV 60 degrees vs the 8x SF at 64. Dropping magnification to 8 just for more angular field would imo be pointless. Now if Swaro could increase the afov to 65 one wouldn't say no I suppose either!

On a slightly more curious note, I just noticed that Zeiss quote the AFOV of the HT as being a simple angular field x magnification (62) rather than measured AFOV that they use on the SF (64)....

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back