• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbirds in South Carolina (1 Viewer)

Partsman41953

Hello,

My wife and I live just outside the Columbia, SC area and it seems that for the last couple of years the hummingbirds that come to visit are becoming less and less for some reason. We have put forth an extra effort to turn our backyard to a hummingbird friendly environment by planting more plants that they like and have 3 nectar feeders up but this year we have only seen maybe 2 hummingbirds. Anyone know what is going on with them?

Thanks

I'm experiencing the same dilemma here in Myrtle Beach. I put it off to the hundreds of Yellow-rumped Warblers I had here this late winter and early spring. Very territorial and were continually chasing the hummers around and away from the feeders.

BTW, a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

Things are normal at the base of the Smokys, Tennessee North Carolina Line. We have Hummers, but they haven't hit the feeders yet. They won't start sucking down sugar water till migration back to Mexico looms.

Maybe I should take that back. I am not noticing hummers in their usual haunts, fields and streambeds. Nor am I seeing the numbers I am used to around the house.

I live in west Georgia and I don't believe we have as many this year as in the past. With seven feeders, the most I have observed at any one time is two.

Any thoughts on why? Our biota hasn't changed, there wasn't much crazy weather during migration. Have they introduced some bad agricultural chemicals between Panama and the Yucatan Pennisula, or has deforestation gone wild down there? Last year wasn't great, but this year is turning into total crap. I got no baby hummers.

Things picked up on the 20th of July, the Hummers are trying to fatten up for migration. I still believe numbers are down for the year. This is a good time to focus on the NEGATIVE, if there is a problem with the ecosystem, then we, (birdwatchers), are the first ones to notice it.

I have lots now, but they are mostly juveniles and females, very few adult males. I think I had a banner year for fledgelings. I have noticed juvies stalking out feeders; in the past the only dominant birds have been adult males.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back