• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aussie wedge tail eagle antics (1 Viewer)

aussiesteve

G'day,
I have watched with astonishment as wedge-tailed eagles circle to climb high up to the jetstream.
Finally becoming a small dot in the sky, to then rocket across the sky like an F18 and vanish.
But, I was even more startled by the antics of one eagle while motoring around the Gulf country.
As I approached just before dusk, I could see the bird flap skywards holding what looked like a length of rope.
Then drop the rope and dive back down to grab hold of it again and repeat this caper.
As I slowly motored towards this scene, I naturally realized that the rope was a rather sizeable snake.
I stopped and watched this performance.
The bird finally achieved it's objective, to drop the snake draped across the barbed wire boundary fence.
No way was I getting out of the car to grab the camera, aussie snakes are definitely not friendly.
Especially something as big as this one was.
Once secured across the fence, the bird began pecking at the snake's head.
Dispatching the snake, it then flapped away with it's prize.
I do wish that I had grabbed the video camera.
Steve.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back