• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wisconsin Checklist (1 Viewer)

There are some regional naming problems - some of these have different names in the US. "arctic redpoll" is much better known as "hoary redpoll" in the US. In fact, I had never seen the name "arctic redpoll" before. You also have "common loon" listed as "great northern loon". There may be others.

Hi
I follow the IOC naming convention (as stated on the home page) so some of the names will be different to those you may be used to, but thanks for the reply.

If you're going to make a species checklist for a specific area it seems logical to use the names which are accepted in that area. Bringing in unfamiliar names from elsewhere just promotes confusion.

Using just ONE system of names will help to remove the "confusion" you mentioned. There are already too many different naming conventions and the IOC are trying to streamline them into just one. The IOC system applies to the whole of the world and not just to the Usa.

By whose authority? These are common names, not scientific names, and they should reflect the variations of accepted local usage, not submit to the arrogance of some distant panel of worthless busybodies.

The checklists are free to use, change or ignore. If you don't want them, don't use them. There are plenty of people out there that do.

Right, time to create some more "busybody" checklists......

OK, I am a little cooled down now. It's bad enough hearing people butcher the names of hawaiian species, but ruffians trying to alter the names of our heartland critters, including my State Bird, means we are getting out the muskets and the tea is going to end up floating in the bay again!

I hope to FINALLY see some hoary redpolls in Minnesota/Wisconsin this Thanksgiving. (I guess that would require some awful weather, but I'm still missing out on a bunch of boreal species)

Last edited:
Mal, thanks for this list. This is much easier to navigate than some others I have seen. Just one question, when it says "* report required" at the bottom, what does that mean? I am new with this.

Hi, Mal! Thank you for the Wisconsin checklist! (It is my first checklist.) Your site was easy to use and I like that I had a choice between a PDF and an Excel spreadsheet. :t:

Many thanks ScottAz for the comments. Glad the option of both types was useful. I have started to create Word versions too as some people like to export the info into Word-specific reports. I will be starting to add them this weekend.

Best wishes.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back