• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandwell Valley (1 Viewer)

I used to visit Sandwell a lot from 1993 to 2000 but only have sporadic visits nowadays. Yes it was better in the old days with the old hides but I don't really know what the RSPB can do about the vandalism, unfortunately it's a sign of the times. The RSPB have done a lot of work improving the marsh and lake and the amount of birds being seen doesn't appear to have gone down any more than you would have expected in a general period of bird decline. Nice to see Cetti's Warbler recently colonising or attempting to anyway.

I still look forward to visiting when I can but prefer to visit very early about 6am in spring to avoid dog walkers etc. I would be sad to see the RSPB leave Sandwell Valley.

Sandwell Valley does not just consist of the RSPB reserve, welcome as it is. It ranges from Ray Hall sewage works in the north to Handsworth Cem in the south. It varies in habitat from Hill Top, Priory Woods, The Paddocks, Swan Pool to the other side of the motorway to Salters Lane and Dartmouth Park. Whilst most birding centres on Forge Mill these areas are still covered by some of the Valley regulars and are worth checking out.
I would suggest getting hold of a copy of Birds of the Sandwell Valley by Forbes, Hackett And Hextell ( if you still can ) to see the full picture.
Too many birders are guilty (myself included) of sitting in a hide for long periods and not getting "out there". This is probably more apparent in an area like the Valley, which to many just means the RSPB reserve.

Hughie King.

Last edited:
I used to head up to the paddock area to see Tree Sparrow and Yellowhammer but haven't seen them there for some years, as far as I am aware Tree Sparrows have gone but do the Yellowhammers still cling on? I always hoped to see a Little Owl but never got lucky.

Adding the Swan Pool and Priory woods to a trip to Forge Mill and you could easily see 50 species in a day ( i'm sure regulars have topped this by some way) which in a reserve so close to the urban conurbation is fantastic.

Yes it's a more far flung area than most people think with almost every surrounding field having it's own speciality...e.g. in one of the fields a couple of summers ago I spotted a little day flying almost Black moth which liked just a certain species of grasses...they were quite abundant - but only in a small part of the one field.
Little Owls could be seen around the Paddock area a few years ago...think they moved not too far away though.Bit hard to spot if they stay in the trees though.

Keith :t:

Those moths were probably Chimney Sweepers Keithr. I have seen these next to the old (burnt down) RSPB centre. I believe I found the first Essex Skipper nearby for the reserve. As for Tree Sparrows Matt, these have long since disappeared. I believe Yellowhammer are either non existent or very scarce. A long standing regular and knowledgable birder Pete Hackett is a good source of information.
Most Slav and Black n Grebes have been found on Swan Pool. Whilst elsewhere Ring Ousel,Redstart, Y b Warblers, Groppers, Stonechats and Firecrests graced surrounding areas. Salters Lane used to have a regular flock of Golden Plover till the habitat changed.
Despite habitat change and numbers of former common birds being drastically reduced it's still an area worth grilling, RSPB reserve included.

Hughie.

Chimney Sweeper

Yes it's a more far flung area than most people think with almost every surrounding field having it's own speciality...e.g. in one of the fields a couple of summers ago I spotted a little day flying almost Black moth which liked just a certain species of grasses...they were quite abundant - but only in a small part of the one field.
Little Owls could be seen around the Paddock area a few years ago...think they moved not too far away though.Bit hard to spot if they stay in the trees though.

Keith, These would be Chimney sweeper moth as identified by Hughie, Black when first emerged then fading to Brown Black, having a white margin to their wing tips, they rest on tall grasses but their foodplant is Pignut.

Regards, John

There is a copy of Birds of the Sandwell Valley by Forbes, Hackett And Hextell on Amazon I have just purchased a copy just copy and paste the title and authors hope this helps anyone

Keith, These would be Chimney sweeper moth as identified by Hughie, Black when first emerged then fading to Brown Black, having a white margin to their wing tips, they rest on tall grasses but their foodplant is Pignut.

Regards, John

Yes they were the Chimney Sweepers.....have been looking through files for a pic but drew a blank......will keep searching.

There is a copy of Birds of the Sandwell Valley by Forbes, Hackett And Hextell on Amazon I have just purchased a copy just copy and paste the title and authors hope this helps anyone

It was Pete Forbes that introduced me to Sandwell ...and he also helped to get it ship shape in the early days.
I can remember him taking me around all the interesting parts of the wider area and pointing out great birds like Tawny and Long eared Owls.

Had quite a nice walk around the reserve this lunchtime, my findings were

blackbird, bluetit, bullfinch, can goose(with chicks), crow, cettis(singing well), chaffinch, chiffchaff, 2 common tern(male feeding female but does not seem to be settling anywhere to nest,lets keep hoping) coot(with chicks), dunnock, goldfinch(2), great crested grebe(2 pair), gs woodpecker(as my other half says doing woodpeckery things), great tit( feeding nest box), grey heron(flew along river), herring gull, house martins, lapwings(8 chicks), LBBG, LRP, long tailed tit, magpie, mallard, moorhen(4 chicks), mute swan (3 pairs), oystercatcher(2/3 chicks), a lonely pochard, reed bunting, reed warbler showing and singing well all round reserve, ringed plover, robin, swift(too many to count), treecreeper, tufted duck, woodpigeon.

Also what I thought was a meadow pipit. Being fairly new to this I could be wrong but it was only a second long spot as it landed and was spooked by the GS woody. Not seen one here before though to know wether they would be around here?!

As i say enjoyed the walk;);)

Local LRP's are incubating at present so one might have been on the nest - re: Mipit, i'm only summising on habitat but there's plenty of suitable grassland around there.....

Laurie:t:

Steady walk around Swan pool and the paddocks this afternoon, but very little about:

1 Reed Warbler
c150 Swifts (all Common)
c50 Swallows
1 GC Grebe with 3 chicks
2 Buzzards
3 LBB Gulls
2 Tufted Ducks
24 Mallards
2 Willow Warblers
2 Chiffchaffs
1 Mistle Thrush
2 Mute swans with 6 cygnets
2 Whitethroats

Plus one bloke hanging about looking as if he was waiting to mug someone, and one couple in the back of a car on the car park who obviously couldn't find somewhere more private. God, don't you just love that place :eek!:

Steady walk around Swan pool and the paddocks this afternoon, but very little about:

1 Reed Warbler
c150 Swifts (all Common)
c50 Swallows
1 GC Grebe with 3 chicks
2 Buzzards
3 LBB Gulls
2 Tufted Ducks
24 Mallards
2 Willow Warblers
2 Chiffchaffs
1 Mistle Thrush
2 Mute swans with 6 cygnets
2 Whitethroats

Plus one bloke hanging about looking as if he was waiting to mug someone, and one couple in the back of a car on the car park who obviously couldn't find somewhere more private. God, don't you just love that place :eek!:

no. its a dump. used to go but not anymore. too many undesirables hanging round. amazed the rspb are still there

no. its a dump. used to go but not anymore. too many undesirables hanging round. amazed the rspb are still there

Can't deny that it does attract some undesirables, but I know the RSPB are doing a lot to detract anti-social behaviour and get the locals more interested in the reserve. They are starting a new project this year to re-build the visitors centre and more info (and donations)for the project can be found here if anyone is interested. -

https://spacehive.com/breathingnewlifeintosandwellvalley

Local LRP's are incubating at present so one might have been on the nest - re: Mipit, i'm only summising on habitat but there's plenty of suitable grassland around there.....

Laurie:t:

Could it be Skylark...for same reason and have seen some a few years back.

Keith

Users who are viewing this thread

Back