• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sony Nex 7 for Digiscoping (1 Viewer)

Neil

I've been waiting for an excuse to get the nex 7 since it's launch about 1 year ago. http://www.dpreview.com/products/sony/slrs/sony_nex7
I've enjoyed the Nex 5 but wanted an electronic viewfinder and better video options. The extra megapixels doesn't hurt either.
I plan to match it up the the Zeiss Nex 24/1.8 lens for digiscoping.
I'll start posting some images early next week when the typhoon which is almost upon us , passes by.
Neil

I've been using the nex 7 for a a couple of months now Neil, and I must say I rather like it. Once you have the buttons set up the way you like them, I think you'll find it a rather quick camera to use. The extra megapixels give plenty of extra cropping also 8)

one reason that I'm interested in the nex 7 is the focus peaking as I think think could be extremely useful . Hanve you used it much Neil and if so what's your opinion please ?

Les,
We are just getting over a typhoon here and it's been raining since I got the camera. I can tell you it's weather proof as it's been wet several times already with no problems.
I did a quick test yesterday of the Digital Zoom to test it's digiscoping with the kit zoom 18-55 zoom, which can work with a long eye relief eyepiece, eg Kowa 25x LER. This was equivalent of 104 mm ( 1.5x dig zoom).
I will prefer the Sigma 30/2.8 or a MF 35/50 mm lens which I will test soon.
Neil

Hong Kong,
July 2012

Attachments

• pied avocet nex7 kw25x Vign_DSC0725.jpg
    pied avocet nex7 kw25x Vign_DSC0725.jpg
    363.7 KB · Views: 812
  • pied avocet p.snipe nex7 orig kw25x _DSC0683.jpg
    pied avocet p.snipe nex7 orig kw25x _DSC0683.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 549
Neil,
I intend to get one of the new swaros so I'm hoping I could finally get some decent shots using their new adaptor . I'm off to see the system at birdfair ( if its there ) to get more ideas as I am changing from photography to digiscoping. At the moment the nex 7 seems to be the best for this unless you can recommend something better ? I am looking at the new g5 or perhaps omd ?

Neil,
I intend to get one of the new swaros so I'm hoping I could finally get some decent shots using their new adaptor . I'm off to see the system at birdfair ( if its there ) to get more ideas as I am changing from photography to digiscoping. At the moment the nex 7 seems to be the best for this unless you can recommend something better ? I am looking at the new g5 or perhaps omd ?

Les,
It depends what you are hoping to achieve by switching. One of the advantages I get these days is the HD video which requires the discipline of digiscoping and I'm planning to use the Nex 7 a lot for this. I'm still not sure about the Manual Focusing option as I tried it this week and wasn't happy with the digital zoom function. I wasn't able to see detail enough for accurate focusing. As I was shooting in the rain it wasn't a fair test though so I'll give it another go tomorrow ( if the rain stops).
The Sony lenses for the Nex System are not suitable for digiscoping which is a shame , whereas the kit zooms for Micro Four Thirds and Nikon V1 are very good. Now we have the option of the Canon Mirrorless too.
Neil.

Neil
One of the reasons for switching is that I have decided I need scope more that camera for wildlife and I can't carry everything ( especially with my bad back )
I would still use camera for general stuff which is why I lean towards the EM_5 with its inbuilt stabilization, weather proofing etc, but this focus peaking on the nex looks very good on paper .
According to the blurb I've read so far the new swaro adaptor is a lens and only requires a t adaptor to suit the camera . With all your cameras this would make life much simpler if it works .

one reason that I'm interested in the nex 7 is the focus peaking as I think think could be extremely useful . Hanve you used it much Neil and if so what's your opinion please ?
Les - Regarding Focus Peaking
It is an extraordinary feature - it allows me to use non-Sony lenses and focus as easily as with film cameras. An advantage using non-Sony lenses is that I can shoot in shutter priority, set the aperture on the lens and select AutoISO. This way I can emulate Nikon and Canon manual mode with AutoISO, which NO Sony camera does.

In regard to Nex 7: I prefer my Nex 5n because I can look down in the EVF, thus keeping the camera on the tripod UNDER my face, and having an unobstructed view ahead.

S5th
thanks for the info - I'm old fashioned, unfortunately and have looked through viewfinder for 45 years so I can't really change ( especially when I can't see at close range without glasses ). It has to be 7 or different make but the focus peaking has really intrigued me ( I'm also an old technophobe as well ) Will continue my research !

S5th

I'm like you, use non-Sony lenses. (Canon FD fit) set them to infinity then you don't have to worry about the camera focusing just focus the scope using peaking or enlarging the the central portion of the image on LCD....works a treat. I've stuck a screen protector on my screen and attached an LCDVF to that. This helps with any reflections on the screen. I have both the 5n and the 7 and use the same setup on both.

Gary

It still raining here but I've done some quick tests on third party lenses on the Nex 7 for digiscoping.
The Voigtlander 35/2.5 , Nikon 35/2.0D and Nikon 50/1.8 D all work on the Kowa 20-60 zoom,25x and 30x with no vignetting. They should also work with similar eyepieces from other manufacturers. Other 35 and 50 mm lenses should also be ok ,although probably not macro lenses as they are usually recessed too much.
I tried my Nikon 24/2.8 and 28/2.8 but there was vignetting which was not acceptable.
I also had a play around with the 18 - 55 kit zoom on the 25x LER eyepiece. I could eliminate vignetting if the glass surfaces were almost touching. This requires the removal of the rubber eyecup which means the UCA adapter becomes unstable so I would need to set it up a different way. Probably using the Kowa Support Bracket would do the trick. It should also work with the Kowa VA 3 adapter.
Neil

Hong Kong,
China.
July 2012

S5th
thanks for the info - I'm old fashioned, unfortunately and have looked through viewfinder for 45 years so I can't really change ( especially when I can't see at close range without glasses ). It has to be 7 or different make but the focus peaking has really intrigued me ( I'm also an old technophobe as well ) Will continue my research !

Les,
I wear bifocals and it can be a bit of a problem viewing the Electronic Viewfinder. As I'm normally sitting in a hide though I'm used to using the lcd and watching out at the same time.
Neil

I have been a bit tardy in updating this thread as I have been using the Nex 7 for digiscoping , especially since I got the Swarovski STX 95 mm Scope ( thank you Swarovski).
I use it with the TLS APO adapter which eliminates the camera lens and slides nicely over the zoom eyepiece ( with collar on ) so you start with 30x ( on the 95 mm scope ) x 1.5 , although the APO has a 30 mm lens inbuilt so this drops magnification down a bit. The advantage of this is that when you take the camera of the scope to view through the eyepiece the sensor is protected from dust getting in.
Neil
Sydney,Australia
Dec 2012

Sony NEX 7 and Swarovski STX 95 mm Scope and TLS APO adapter

Attachments

• white eared honeyeater nex7 stxapo iso800 DSC01245_edited-3.jpg
    white eared honeyeater nex7 stxapo iso800 DSC01245_edited-3.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 733
  • golden whistler fem nex7 stxAPO DSC01164_edited-2.jpg
    golden whistler fem nex7 stxAPO DSC01164_edited-2.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 634
  • grey fantail nex7 stxAPO DSC01030_edited-2.jpg
    grey fantail nex7 stxAPO DSC01030_edited-2.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 605
  • rufous whistler male b nex7 stxAPO DSC00858_edited-2.jpg
    rufous whistler male b nex7 stxAPO DSC00858_edited-2.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 702
Neil, I've been following your flickr page and really like your pics taken with the V1/300mm F4 (810mm effective) combo. Now that you have taken similar shots with STX95/Nex7 at what I assume to be 900mm effective, do you have a preference?

Neil, I've been following your flickr page and really like your pics taken with the V1/300mm F4 (810mm effective) combo. Now that you have taken similar shots with STX95/Nex7 at what I assume to be 900mm effective, do you have a preference?

Rick,
It depends on what type of photography I'm doing. In Sydney there is a lot of walking around in bushland and rainforest birding so digiscoping is out of the question. Difficult to drag a tripod through the bush.
For waterholes,reefs and wetlands I prefer to digiscope. Also I like to get video these days so like the scope on the tripod for that.
I often have both systems with me so I don't miss anything that flies by while I'm digiscoping.
Neil

It's a real shame on the Sony Nex 7 they did not design a cable release on the shutter.Ideal system for Digiscoping.. I was considering it till I found out about the cable release.
Excellent photos Neil !!!

Last edited:
It's a real shame on the Sony Nex 7 they did not design a cable release on the shutter.Ideal system for Digiscoping.. I was considering it till I found out about the cable release.
Excellent photos Neil !!!

I picked up the IR Remote for the Nex 7 recently and like it, especially for starting and stopping video mode. I wish it would work on the RX 100 though.
Neil

I picked up the IR Remote for the Nex 7 recently and like it, especially for starting and stopping video mode. I wish it would work on the RX 100 though.
Neil

I have a Pentax Optio W90 with the IR shutter release. The receiver on the camera is at the 4 o'clock position and is only accessible if you put your hand /arm out and around too trigger the shutter. I cannot figure out why on the camera they did not put the IR receiver on the front & back. I wrote Sony on this and it seems they have been deluded on this item. I would look forward too a NEX 8 with a cable release some were in the future. They do have a Radio Control module with a IR that can be mounted on the camera and triggered 600 feet away. Just get a 2-3 ch R/C on the new 2.4ghz. Then purchase the IR Module.. $26.00 US cost. The Module plugs into receiver on the odd 3rd channel. Which is triggered by the transmitter.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back