• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dried Meal Worms (1 Viewer)

snowyowl

I am thinking of setting out some dried meal worms on spec. to see what they might attract. We don't normally get bluebirds but since they seem to be moving back into their historic range so you never know. Orioles are showing up here with some regularity plus there are things like gnatcatchers, ,cuckoos, even robins that might be attracted.
Does anyone on here have any experience? I expect to soak the mealworms, perhaps toss them in some type of oil. Any ideas?
I'll also be putting out a jelly feeder with sunflower seeds and a birdbath close by.

I started adding dried meal worms to my feeders this past winter. The blue birds loved them along with a few other species. I simply put them out straight from the bag, no water or oil needed.

i agree with keithdog: i just put dried meal worms, no water no oil, to my feeder this past winter and i attracted many species: sparrows, battlements, robin, warbler, redstart chimney sweep etc...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back