• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New shots (1 Viewer)

Hi All,

Anyone had experiences dismantling their scope doublet and after assembly experience CA? I just did on my TV-85 and now cursing myself for it. Any cheaper solutions than sending it back to it's creator? Pretty sure it'll burn a hole in my pants. I didn't know there's a need to mark on the lenses and didn't have the proper tools. Nearly broke the lenses not to say the frequent putting in and taking out the elements due to finger prints smudges at the edges and dust particles trapping between the doublets. SIGH...................

tbc

I can't offer any advice apart from doing what mooreorless suggested. I've never collimated my own doublet although it could probably do with being done as I've had the elements out a few times. I've never noticed anything in the photos I've taken though so hopefully it's fairly good.

Paul.

Oh boy, that is a lot of money!!! You could set up the lens in some sort of fixture to hold it and use a higher power eyepiece to star test the lens. You could use a ball bearing on a sunny day for a glitter of light [star] or a Christmas ball if available as well, anything would be cheaper than their quote. Make sure you mark the lens starting point and keep rotating it until you get it right. http://aberrator.astronomy.net/

Last edited:
TBC, Other than marking lens position to start and keep trying rotations I don't what more to tell you. It could be a long process, but worth it.

Mooreorless,

I have tried to download the freeware but have no idea at all what is it all about. I guess you need an otics expert to understand all the settings and terminologies. But greatly appreciate your help.

tbc

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back