• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (2 Viewers)

Tuesday, March 13 my hubby's and my 8th anniversary!

Tim, I am glad that you changed the water. I was going to say something, but have only had the time to drop in and read. You did a good thing changing the color and tone, which of course, changed the mood of the overall picture, from Disney-esque scene to something subdued and more pleasing. I hope that wasn't too harsh. If so, you can water down my drink.

I am off to take an exploded sculpture out of the kiln. Perhaps I will take a picture of it and share. I am truly disappointed. erg. Refering to people not being happy with their work; I finally have gotten to a point where I like most of my work, specifically the sculptures, but when the next piece comes along I think all before are crap.

Best to all,
Elizabeth

Glad I went to bed early in the end Landlord. Managed to see 4 Woodlark today, including a singing bird through the morning. didnt oblige much in the way of photos but got a few quick sketches...
Was a very nice day, lots of interest. Blog has been updated with the days photos.

Off to the movies, The Departed, at last. Been meaning to see it for months now!

Happy anniversary, Elizabeth - and many more to come! Thanks for the comments about the water, i was never happy but, being somewhat impetuous, wanted to get the piece 'finished' - which I thought I had, until I realized it was a poor conclusion to a reasonable process. You ought to feel free about commenting openly - i don't water the drinks down if someone upsets me - I strengthen them up!!!! ;)
Sounds like a good day with the migrants, Alan - hope the film's worth it. Post the drawings somewhere soon.

Ok - Second day of the greatest racing festival on planet Earth . . . and if anyone had a punt at Cheltenham yesterday - commiserations, it wasn't easy!
Today (purely for my own satisfaction, you understand) I'm not tipping favourites (although I'm nearly certain that Denman will win the 2:35 and Well Cheif the 3:15) -
2:00 - Tidal Bay @ 12-1 (e/w)
2:35 - Snowy Morning @ 9-1 (e/w)
3:15 - Nickname @ 7-1 (Win)
4:00 - could be anybody's but a cheeky 12-1 shot Nation State will give me a run for my (virtual) money.
Have been 'graphic designing' therefore I need a distraction.
Cheers.

Hi Tim,
first time I've had a chance to drop into the studio. Another vote for the last version of the seal painting from me. I think it definitely improves the "mood" of it now you've toned down the background.

Sorry I'm unable to obey the rules and have a wee drinkie as I'm driving later, but I may pop back for a pint of Taylor's Landlord this evening!

ps. Good luck with the neds.

Avocet sketch

I thought my tipster service was quite good today - the first selection came second by a head (a winner at each way) - 2nd race I said Denman would win and the value was Snowy Morning - Denman won and Snowy came 2nd - a winner at each way - 3rd race my selection was a non-runner (money back) and the unfortunate Well Chief fell at the second fence. Last race - ah, well . ..

I've been threatening to make some progress regarding the avocet so here's my first stumbling effort to make fieldwork into 'finished' work . . .
(Homage to Nick Derry - using a coco pops box for a support)

Attachments

• Avo1.jpg
    Avo1.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
haha, now this I like a lot! I love the water in the foreground, you're not supposed to use my technique and do it better than me! :) The quality of the light is dazzlingly bright.

Got an afternoon off tomorrow so am going to be turning some 'adequate' but not exceptional paintings into sellable paintings that might be able to pay for me to go on holiday! Will be posting the pics in 'the dining room'.

Watercolour revisited

Having spent the past few months workig almost entirely in acrylics, it's been apleasant and refreshing change to 're-discover' watercolours. This colour sketch is a worked-up version of a sketchbook drawing from another thread -http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=61622

Avid followers of my Racehorse Tipping Column for the Cheltenham Festival will be delighted to learn (I'm sure!) that as soon as I've nipped to the village for the paper, I shall have more Golden Selections for your delictation and enrichment. . .

Attachments

• waders.jpg
    waders.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 166
Cheltenham Festival, Day 3 . . .
Ground drying and perhaps the weakest day (if there can be a weak day at Cheltenham) so we may get a long-shot landed.
2:00 - Chief Yeoman - 16-1 (e/w)
2:35 - Racing Demon - 6-1 (win) - top man on board
3:15 - Inglis Drever - 4-1 (win) - will sluice home if in the mood
4:00 - Opera Mundi - 4-1 (win) - the irresistable Ruby, Ruby, Ruby Ruby Walsh and Paul Nichols combination (will make up for all the other tips will, no doubt, have failed)

I don't know what to say about the races. I wish I could be there? Love what you are doing with the Avocet. And the other quick watercolor is, of course, perfect.

I am attaching two of my latest pieces for all to see. Now, mind, some of you have seen my work before and know these are definitely not paintings or anything like what has been shown on this thread.
I took these two shots quickly in my backyard--the white background is snow, lots and lots of snow---I needed to get something in for a show this spring. Our slides will be seen at a local cinema every single day before the movies start. I think that deserves a drink and a 'here here'

The last is a photo of the one that got away, or exploded. You can see the back/wings have pretty much popped off. I am glad that it didn't make it. Looking at it now with that black, I think it is too much...there isn't enough transition from the face and neck into the black either. I am not trying to make it exact, just an image, and sometimes I like to throw in a few accurate traits. I did like it though, despite the black...

Attachments

• mockingbirdcanister.jpg
    mockingbirdcanister.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 147
  • heroncanister.jpg
    heroncanister.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 104
  • explodedcomorant.jpg
    explodedcomorant.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 137
Just a quick note for Cheltenham - Final Day.
Following the tremedous win of INGLIS DREVER at 6-1 yesterday, 4 more selections for your consideration . . .
2:00 - Freeze the Frame - real longshot at 25-1 (e/w)
2:35 - Negus De Beaumont -another longy at 33-1 (e/w)
3:15 - THE GOLD CUP - will be won by KAUTO STAR at 7-4 (remortgage all your properties, sell the cars and the kids and lump on this equine machine) - ignore the factthat he'll hit every fence like a heavyweight - he'll come home in front.
4:00 - Foxhunter madness - Telemoss for a laugh at 50-1
Good luck.

Watercolours are great Tim, particularily like the Avocet, tis lovely!Tinted paper works beautifully...The light in the piece is so amzingly tranquil, you have caught eary sping sunlight perfectly..

This picture has me thinking about getting some watercolours and having some fun, its been a long time. Why I have not used them in so long I really dont know, I enjoy using watercolours hugely..

Happy Patricks Day for tomorrow to you all. Working the day shift and then I am out for a good drink with friends. Ignore any mumbo jumbo posted my me around midnight tomorrow so!

Last edited:
Elizabeth - the exploded bird is such a shame - I think it has a wonderful character (interesting as it is, actually - but the glaze would need re-doing). The drawings on the pots are full of energy and I loike the qualities you bring to them. Let's see a few more, eh?
Thanks Arthur and Alan - Happy St. Pat's Day - here's to several gallons of shamrock-juice!!!
Oh - I really hope everyone followed my strong advice - KAUTO STAR won the GOLD CUP at a generous 5-4 , this means you should all be living mortgage free now!!!!

hey Tim!
It's been a while. I've been out of town so I had to do some reading to catch up with your thread. I think the you did the right thing with the seal piece. Nice painting! The colors work well and there is more of a serene feeling.

Oh - I really hope everyone followed my strong advice - KAUTO STAR won the GOLD CUP at a generous 5-4 , this means you should all be living mortgage free now!!!!

Tim, I don't rely on luck so I didn't follow your advice on betting... and now I regret it! :-C Next time I'll do, promised, as you seem an expert in this matter of bets... I remember somebody betting on a certain pic... ;) Do you know him?

Please, serve me something from your store to cheer me up! When I think by now I could have my home paid up... :-C

By the way, loved your "collage" of waders on watercolours!!! :clap:

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back