• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (1 Viewer)

thanks for the comments - I'm not sure I'd do the drawing justice by commiting to colour -it had always meant to be a drawing for drawing's sake - it is 30" x 20" and I'd considered getting it framed, but the cost may be prohibitive. I may do a slightly smaller colour sketch - if I get any time.

It would be interesting to see in color, but I don't know if it needs it. I think you have obviously taken it further than just a sketch; the lines are definite(I know what I mean by this, not sure anyone else will) and all the birds stand out once one peruses the scene. It has that finished feel to it, really.

Could you do one a bit similar to this one but in color, a little smaller or perhaps doing one section of the drawing?
I'm just curious to see what it would look like.
It is a beautiful piece, no matter.

Woody, all I have ever done in oil is landscapes. One of these days I will sit down and do a bird, wow, it sounds like fun...painting. I'll get to it sooner rather than later!

timwootton said:
thanks for the comments - I'm not sure I'd do the drawing justice by commiting to colour -it had always meant to be a drawing for drawing's sake - it is 30" x 20" and I'd considered getting it framed, but the cost may be prohibitive. I may do a slightly smaller colour sketch - if I get any time.

wootton sketches do sometimes make it to the framers- here's one just back complete with admiring observer

Attachments

• DSC_0375 copy.jpg
    DSC_0375 copy.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 168
Ha ha! - many thanks, Ed - hope you have many happy years together! Perhaps more importantly, however, I'm so pleased the GND came in from the shed (and you resisted the temptation to 'colour' the sculpture) - it looks absolutely stunning!
Hi Peter - I assume your 'it's fantastic' is applicable to both the sketches (I hope) and the sculpture (much more deserved!). This lad Keeble's not bad, y'know ;)

timwootton said:
Ha ha! - many thanks, Ed - hope you have many happy years together! Perhaps more importantly, however, I'm so pleased the GND came in from the shed (and you resisted the temptation to 'colour' the sculpture) - it looks absolutely stunning!
Hi Peter - I assume your 'it's fantastic' is applicable to both the sketches (I hope) and the sculpture (much more deserved!). This lad Keeble's not bad, y'know ;)

My round I think. I managed to repair the bust bill tip on the GND and finished it off with some rather nifty stuff in a spray can which I have in front of me as I type- "Citroen Arctic Steel" says the label, supplied by the ever dependable Halfords.

fantastic divers all round, if ever there was a bird that could be considered to be perfect, it's a diver. Before I saw my first ever diver (Great Northerns at Weymouth in 1999) I couldn't picture them in the wild, I honestly couldn't imagine what my first diver would be like, whereas other species are easily imaginable, for example I've yet to see Dotterel and Black Guillemot, yet I can imagine the scene quite well. I'm waffling because of too much rum (but still typing coherently :) . Just wondered if anybody else felt the same about certain birds.

ps, Tim, your curlews, starlings and oystercatchers is a finished and successful drawing, however being also curious to see it in colour, you'll have to find the time to start another version!

Wonderful home for a wonderful series of sketches. Have to say the admiring diver is very tasteful and in its own right a superb piece. Delighted to see Tims work has found such a great space to reside. Bravo!

birdpotter said:
Ed, what a great diver! I'm in the dark, what is it made from?

A mixture..

-chicken wire skeleton

-plaster bludged onto the wire frame and then chiselled + sanded down

-resin poured inside to seal the cracks created by over vigorous hammering and chiselling...

-beak and neck patch done in a sandable expoxy resin, with detail carved in

-taxidermists eyes

-then lastly about two ponds of iron filings set into its tail so that its centre of gravity is far enough back for it not to fall over.

One day when I have time I will see if I can cast a pair to it using latex moulds and then reposition the head and body angle so bird #2 is slightly offset. But don't hold your breath..

Those sketches look great in their home Tim. The diver sculpture looks terrific too, so sensuous.

Elizabeth, my oils are all disasterous to date but I'm having fun sliding them about on the surface, and I love the smell!

Woody

Ed......you want to make a few more of those GND's - I'm sure you'd sell out straight away :t:

Absolutely sublime.....both the sculpture AND the framed sketches :clap:

Well, I've been terribly, feels-like-death, ill since Saturday and haven't had the energy to even think about getting to the computer.
What's everyone else's excuse?

Sorry you've been poorly Elizabeth - for my part, I've just been doing other things. Sally's had some time off and the weather's been very nice for the time of year (actually feels like spring) so we've been at work building a garden (to replace the polytunnel whose short existance was so dramatically curtailed). I am going out drawing today - I have a target species which my friend Paul (he of the avocet fame) has put me on to. I'll be doing that after I've 'helped' with the bathroom decorating.
See ya later.

Great White Egret

Just back from an hour's drawing in the West Mainland (Loch of Banks) where I eventually located the great white egret - stunning bird (thanks Paul!). Made a few exploratory sketches of it and the habitat and, at one point in the afternoon, the sun managed to break through the haze and illuminated the whole scene - the bird dazzlingly bright even from from 200 metres.
After a 75 minute return trip, I arrive to find that Paul has left another message with Sal - "Just had a turtle Dove on the front lawn!" - apparently!
Paul lives within sight of our property and this bird is the first to be recorded in Britain this year (I haven't seen one for over a decade - at Broomhill Flash, Wombwell.)
Hope it pops down to my garden tomorrow . . . ..

Attachments

• Eg1.jpg
    Eg1.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 126
  • Eg2.jpg
    Eg2.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 98
  • Eg3.jpg
    Eg3.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 95
  • Eg4.jpg
    Eg4.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 116
  • Eg5.jpg
    Eg5.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 136
Great to see some more stuff, you've certainly gone for the jizz in this egret, that kink in the neck and the triangular peak at the back of the head are only ever seen in proper fieldwork. Got to say, I love GW Egrets, but hate sketching them, they move too bl**dy much. Good luck with the turtle dove, I haven't heard of any coming through this part of France yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back