• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swallows (1 Viewer)

El Annie

Phew..............
Got swallows with their second brood of the year in the outbuilding just a few yards from my back door!! Today made a sort of hide type thingy so I could watch them closely without disturbing them, absolutely wonderful!! Babies hatched about a week ago so they've a way to go yet, just wandering about migration - are they going to be ready in time and will the parents have time to fatten themselves up etc :confused:

El Annie

Re Swallows

Hi El Annie

One of my favourite birds, you are lucky to be able to watch them. I would not worry too much about them being prepared for the journey. Unless our climate cuts up really rough which is not impossible, they have time to do it. I think they feed as they travel apart from a few inconveniences like deserts, though even these have a few watering holes.

I was only looking at some a couple of nights ago flying low over a meadow catching insects disturbed by the cattle. I though that it would not be too long before they would be flying around Elephants catching flies.

burhinus

Yes burhinus, I feel very priviledged, there were 4 in the first brood, we got quite parental about them!! It was not without drama specially when the nest started to disintegrate and Chris Mead suggest I try to bodge it back together!!

Pretty amazed when new nest building commenced not long after fledging took place so doubley honoured to see the second brood safely hatched.

El Annie

I always feel priviledged when any bird nests in my garden, but especially if it is a migrant. I get really annoyed when I see people attach bags to their eaves to distract House Martins. They have flown a long way and chose a site, then because of a few droppings are moved on.

I feel dead chuffed when House Martins nest under my eaves.

burhinus

Hi El Annie,

I feel dead envious about you having the Swallows quite so close at hand. They are one of my favourite birds, and so beautiful when seen close up. Normally they are so difficult to get anywhere near to. So often I see them resting on wires with a too bright sky behind to see them clearly :(

Congratulations on being able to share the successful breeding :)

Swallows again.....

Had them in the kitchen this morning!! A very strange carry on with about 13 or so all twittering like mad and frantically flying around the house and in and out of the nest building, one or too miss-judged the entrance and came into the kitchen instead!! I got dive bombed twice whilst out in the yard

:eek:

El Annie

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back