Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Essex Birding

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 79 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Monday 27th January 2014, 21:39   #3126
Linfordbirder

There is at least 1 regularly viewable Iceland gull, and possibly more in the Thames at the moment. Two seperate birds a 2nd winter and 1st winter have been observed following ships up the river (generally larger high sterned vessels) on consecutive Saturdays.

The 1st winter on Saturday appeared to feed from the wake of the ship. After feeding it appeared to be prompted by a vessel heading downstream, flew into the wake and then flew strongly NE landward towards Coryton.

The Gulls were viewed from East Tilbury at the Coalhouse Fort radar tower, or from the sea wall/grass bank downstream of the Fort.

Kittiwake numbers were down to 8 on Saturday from 87 the Saturday before.

This site and associated app http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ is useful in seeing number and size of ships navigating the river.
Old Monday 27th January 2014, 21:56   #3127
The sniper

Hi Steve.
I visited mucking this morning,only spent an hour or so over there as I got a bit fed up of either dogs barking around the hide or at one point a dog and it's owner coming into the hide.
As many of you may know,gulls are not my speciality but I had 2 kittiwakes and a Yelliw legged gull.
I think I had an Iceland gull but it was way out,although the bloke next to me,who also upped and left after the dog incident,said it was a 2nd winter Iceland
Old Monday 27th January 2014, 23:02   #3128
Linfordbirder

Quote:
Originally Posted by The sniper View Post
Going to pay a visit to the Essex Coast tomorrow,haven't really decided where but I want to end up at Wallasea for the RLB.
If anyone is about tomorrow and fancies meeting up , let us know,will check on here most of the day!!!!
I had great views of the RLB last Saturday week. I walked east past the conveyor system to an area that appeared fenced off at a gate. Think signage said it was a closed access at that point. The RLB worked its way up due east of me at 3pm. Had a phenomenal display from a peregrine just the other side of the river too.

Good luck
Old Monday 27th January 2014, 23:08   #3129
Linfordbirder

Quote:
Hi Steve.
I visited mucking this morning,only spent an hour or so over there as I got a bit fed up of either dogs barking around the hide or at one point a dog and it's owner coming into the hide.
As many of you may know,gulls are not my speciality but I had 2 kittiwakes and a Yelliw legged gull.
I think I had an Iceland gull but it was way out,although the bloke next to me,who also upped and left after the dog incident,said it was a 2nd winter Iceland
That's interesting as an Iceland was also reported at Rainham this morning I believe. Looks very likely both a 1w and 2w are still present. Interesting that they seem to be staying on the river and not hanging out at Pitsea nor Wennington Tips continually.

Looks like we have an easterly wind flow and dropping temperatures for the latter part of the week.. Dare we hope for a Glauc ot two too? Be nice to have a 'white (-winged) winter.
Old Monday 27th January 2014, 23:34   #3130
The sniper

I don't know enough about gulls to be fair.
I tried a couple of years back to learn but I ran out of patience and I don't mind admitting it,I respect anyone who can have the patience to sift through thousands upon thousands of gulls that to the untrained of us look the same.
Old Tuesday 28th January 2014, 18:18   #3131
The sniper

Visited Wallasea today,love the place!!!
Didn't go all the way as the weather looked like getting pretty naff!!!
Some pics on my latest blog entry!!!!

http://upminsterbirder.blogspot.co.uk/
Old Tuesday 28th January 2014, 19:30   #3132
Frinton BO
Paul Brayshaw

Some indication of an influx of wildfowl today as the wind shifted slightly towards the east. A good selection of duck on the move past Frinton including 527 Wigeon 123 Scoter, 107 Pintail plus smaller numbers of Teal, Shoveler and Goldeneye. The big Pintail total is notable in that there was a similar (but bigger) movement around this time last year, perhaps suggesting that birds are only moving over from the Low Countries once proper colder weather arrives. Shelduck are another species which seems to be moving more in January than late autumn. Be interesting to see if the WeBS counts reflect this.

For those on the year list, a report on EssexBirders group of two Shorelark photographed yesterday along the sea wall below Little Oakley adjacent to South Hall Creek (northern end of Hamford Water).

Paul
Old Wednesday 29th January 2014, 11:34   #3133
vangerover

Out this morning in the rain, hoping it was going to ease off, but I just got very wet! I saw Water Rail at Vange Marsh and Ruff at Wat Tyler CP before I gave up, maybe tomorrow.
Old Wednesday 29th January 2014, 13:09   #3134
The sniper

As per usual the weather people get it spectacularly wrong.
Last nights weather was "Rain will clear by late morning" get up mud morning to see "Rain will be around all day"
I really worry for some of our wildlife,I know January is a traditionally wet month or at least you expect rain and a lot at times but after last years wet winter it appears this years wet stuff is just topping up water levels, the run off from local fields into already full ditches means everywhere is starting to burst and overflow and not too sure how much if our farmland could recover if we have another wet month in February.
Also our vole and small mammal populations must be stretched which us obviously going to be bad news for the birds that rely on them .

Popped over to Thames Chase Pike Lane late morning today,only really to meet someone from the local camera club to show them my pics of barn owl I took up in Norfolk the other week,we ended up going for a walk to look at a few ideas we have for the site with regards for viewing birds and saw the following

3-400 fieldfare,big flock just come in last few days
80/90 redwing,upto now we've only had about 30 on site
1 kingfisher on the brook
2 Woodcock in flooded woodland,must be quite a few more in there!!
2 Snipe in same area
2 Common Buzzard
25 linnets
6 lesser redpoll
c35 Siskin
6 goldcrest

Not bad for a 45 minute stroll
Old Wednesday 29th January 2014, 14:29   #3135
tdodd
Just call me Tim

Quote:
As per usual the weather people get it spectacularly wrong.
Last nights weather was "Rain will clear by late morning" get up mud morning to see "Rain will be around all day"
Although sourced from Norway I find this weather service to be pretty good. Of course there is always the exception to any rule, but you might like to give it a try. There is also an Android app...

http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdo..._detailed.html

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=no.nrk.yr

Combine that with this radar (and other) map....

http://www.wunderground.com/wunderma...0&cams=0&pix=0
Old Wednesday 29th January 2014, 15:26   #3136
The sniper

Thanks,will keep an eye on this,how often is it updated???
Old Wednesday 29th January 2014, 15:41   #3137
tdodd
Just call me Tim

I don't know the schedule for either, but the YR.NO forecast was last updated at 15:27 and the next update is scheduled for around 20:00. It says that near the top right of the web page.

I think the WunderMap is updated much more frequently, but I don't know how often. I think you could measure it in minutes rather than hours judging from the changes to the display between F5 refreshes.
Old Wednesday 29th January 2014, 16:46   #3138
The sniper

Thanks mate.

Message for Steve Arlow or Other Seabird enthusiasts

Going down to Canvey Point in the morning for a few hours with a few local birders,looks reasonably dry tomorrow,is there likely to be much about,I've never been there before so it's new to me,anything likely to pop up???
I assume the odd diver,auk,gannet etc
Old Wednesday 29th January 2014, 17:36   #3139
Frinton BO
Paul Brayshaw

Based on sea watching off the NE coast the Thames is likely to have divers, some sea duck, kittiwakes and auks. I'm seeing the odd single Gannet now and again plus a Fulmar a couple of days ago but these species are usually very scarce in winter. Little Gull would be a good bet though with two together past Frinton yesterday and two singles today. Sometimes there are similarities between what the extremes of the county see, but other than a bit of wildfowl moving yesterday there hasn't been much more than divers, kittiwakes and the odd Guillemot passing during the last week or so. Steve is more likely to have more local and up to date news though!
Old Wednesday 29th January 2014, 17:40   #3140
The sniper

Thanks mate,am hoping for a decent days birding,will probably start on Canvey then if the weathers ok head to Wallasea for Raptors & Owls etc.
Old Wednesday 29th January 2014, 18:28   #3141
vangerover

Hopefully I will get there for noon, hope you're still there.
Old Wednesday 29th January 2014, 19:03   #3142
The sniper

As long as the weathers not too bad I would think I will be there till at least 1,if not a bit longer,saying that if the weathers bad then I probably won't bother with Wallasea
My numbers 07531088777 if you want to check if we are still there.
Old Wednesday 29th January 2014, 21:39   #3143
neil78

Quote:
Thanks mate.

Message for Steve Arlow or Other Seabird enthusiasts

Going down to Canvey Point in the morning for a few hours with a few local birders,looks reasonably dry tomorrow,is there likely to be much about,I've never been there before so it's new to me,anything likely to pop up???
I assume the odd diver,auk,gannet etc
After the easterly winds there should be a few bits about.

There have been quite a few Guillemots around this year, with one or two Razorbills also reported. I would have thought you'd get Red-throated Diver as well, although there has been a Black-throated knocking around as well.

Gannets are unlikely to be pushed upriver this time of year unless it's raining, but should still be good numbers of Kittiwakes out in the river (usually in the wake of the big container ships).

I expect you're aware, but just in case not, when Canvey Point is referred to as a seawatching location, we don't mean the actual point itself! You should park at the end of Beveland Road (at the SE end of Canvey) and watch from the corner of the seawall there.
Old Wednesday 29th January 2014, 22:35   #3144
The sniper

Thanks Neil,yea beveland road is where we are meeting
Old Thursday 30th January 2014, 20:47   #3145
The sniper

Visited Canvey point this morning,got soaked basically!!!
Plenty of Red Throated Divers and a single Black throat.
Visibility was pretty poor and it was obvious that there was other stuff going up and down the river but all too often it was just a blur.
Plenty of Great Crested Grebes,Cormorants and gulls as well as the usual large amount of waders,can't believe I've never been there before,cracking place despite being wet and miserable!!!!

Went to Thames chase this afternoon
Had a flock of around 25 long tailed tits,Male Sparrowhawk,
Goldcrest,redwings,12 lesser redpolls and a few Siskin!!

Great day out,the sun even came out for 45 seconds this morning and 6 minutes this afternoon!!!
Nice to of met you Terry!!!
Old Thursday 30th January 2014, 21:23   #3146
vangerover

and good to meet you, Bob, after all this time! I only stayed an hour but saw Red-throated Diver and Guillemot. I saw a very distant raft of divers but couldn't sort any out unfortunately. After a visit to my favourite Canvey cafe, I went down to Bowers Marsh. I saw Cetti's Warbler, Corn Buntings, Fieldfares and not much more.
Old Thursday 30th January 2014, 21:32   #3147
The sniper

Visibility wasn't great lol
I will be paying this place a visit again in next few days
Old Thursday 30th January 2014, 21:58   #3148
neil78

If it's raining you could try watching from here:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x...Island,+Essex+[City/Town/Village]&searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf

There's a small shelter with protection from the elements and the car park is free too.
Old Friday 31st January 2014, 06:39   #3149
The sniper

Cheers Neil,information appreciated.If you like distant blurypictures of Divers then check out my blog,link underneath lol
Old Friday 31st January 2014, 20:20   #3150
Himalaya

Have a toss up between London WWT Centre and Rainham Marshes on Sunday. Been to London WWT centre twice and love it of course! Never been to Rainham Marshes but would love to go there one day.

I will arrive in London about 10.45am from Manchester and then can go either way. How easy is it getting to and back from the Rainham Marshes on a sunday? What is it like for bird photography. A friend of mine is interested in coming from Barking and he will be mainly interested im bird photography - how close do the birds come in Rainham Marshes? London WWT is good for regular birds I know.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: