Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Essex Birding

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 79 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Thursday 27th March 2014, 07:24   #3326
Viv Connett

I always take Rainham as Essex - it has an RM postcode and an 01708 telephone number so that's good enough for me.
Old Thursday 27th March 2014, 07:36   #3327
The sniper

I just use anywhere inside the M25 as London and anywhere with Essex in the postcode as Essex and when places have both Essex in the postcode and are inside the M25 I count them as both,seeing as no one in power can make up their sodding mind
Old Thursday 27th March 2014, 10:05   #3328
Sharp Shin
Stewart Belfield

So, regarding the Essex boundary issue, it would appear that we are left with two positions – a local ornithological position, and a contemporary political position – each with their own ‘logic’:

1. The local ornithological position
This is position adopted by EBwS and found in their Essex Bird Report. As pointed out in post #3321, an important criterion here is consistency. If trends in bird numbers and seasonal occurrences are to be studied, it is crucial that there are consistencies of definitions and boundaries. Hence, Essex County recording needed to stick with the ‘old’ south-western boundary of the river Lee/Lea. I think that this position is the dominant positions amongst birders keeping (and submitting) their own records and lists.
2. The contemporary political position
This position adopts the contemporary/modern political definition of the Essex boundary. In post #3323, James has given an outline of how this line cuts through places like Rainham – and you can get a good indication of its meanderings by looking at Streetmap.co.uk and taking the closest zoom. This position is strictly correct in probably all other meanings and uses of boundaries, but it lacks the consistency required of the ‘local ornithological position’.
When it comes to birders keeping their own lists and records, it is a personal decision and obviously it doesn’t matter what position you take. (Though it may matter when it comes to submission of sightings and records.) However, this said, I think that using Post Codes as a county boundary criteria could prove very misleading. For example, Sudbury, which is well into Suffolk, has a Colchester Post Code! Also, using the M25 as a boundary seems quite arbitrary, as it fits none of the two position described above. As Neil78 points out, the ‘official’ boundary of Essex crosses the M25 several times. (Of course, I understand that the phrase ‘outside the M25’ might be used as loose shorthand.)

Gosh, it’s much easier up here in the north of the county. I was up by Caddewade this morning and I know that if a bird is north of the river Stour it’s in Suffolk, but if it is south of the river it’s in Essex. (If a Diver is swimming mid-stream or an Osprey is flying down the course of the river, I use my discretion - in my favour if I’m Essex listing; shush, don’t tell anyone!)

Stewart
Old Thursday 27th March 2014, 10:55   #3329
JamesA
Crap Birder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp Shin View Post
words
I agree that consistency with historical records is probably the most important factor, to ensure you're comparing like with like. I'm not sure it matters that there's a large boundary overlap between the Essex recording area and the LNHS area. And it makes getting black redstart on your Essex list quite easy; I imagine it's pretty difficult away from town.

As for your osprey river thing, can I count the ravens I was watching all winter in Kent? I mean, I was in Essex at the time (well, Thurrock) and they did fly out over the river a fair bit... it's just very hard to work out how far the went!

Last edited by JamesA : Thursday 27th March 2014 at 14:51.
Old Thursday 27th March 2014, 13:53   #3330
vangerover

In the old days, Essex used to start at Maryland Point at Stratford. Now if you believe the road signs on the A13, it starts at the Five Bells in Vange. I almost live in London! I'll stick to the old boundaries, thanks.
Old Thursday 27th March 2014, 14:50   #3331
JamesA
Crap Birder

Report via BB on twitter that he's received a reliable report of a glossy ibis showing well at "Baddow Meads Res" in Chelmsford, so that's at least third hand news by the time I'm putting it here.

Can anyone go check? Think I've seen a few people reporting stuff from there on here?
Old Thursday 27th March 2014, 16:29   #3332
The sniper

Seems a likely place for glossy,shame I didn't see it reported as I drove past an hour or so ago but back home now and got no chance of getting up there by dusk
Old Thursday 27th March 2014, 16:29   #3333
Debbie1905

I am a Londoner born and bred, but grew up in Essex: I lived in Rainham for two years which I most definitely considered to be in Essex (that was our address after all - Rainham, Essex RM) and worked in London. I also lived for 9 years in Dagenham, Essex (closer to London than Rainham) and again we definitely thought of ourselves as in Essex. My three children were born in Barking and surrounds and all think of themselves as Essex girls and boys. I was proud to be a Londoner, and as far as we were concerned, London went as far as London postcodes; from our part of London that meant any postcode beginning with an 'E'.
I most definitely think Rainham birds are Essex birds!

For what it's worth...

Debbie
Old Thursday 27th March 2014, 16:35   #3334
The sniper

It is odd,I consider myself as an Essex chap as I was born in Orsett and lived in corringham till I was 5 and although I moved into London area then,I have always been slightly confused as to what I am supposed to be (although I haven't been too troubled by this. )
If I had been born in a London borough,I would consider myself a Londoner with a bit of Essex in me lol
Old Friday 28th March 2014, 10:43   #3335
Linfordbirder

Quote:
Originally Posted by The sniper View Post
I just use anywhere inside the M25 as London and anywhere with Essex in the postcode as Essex and when places have both Essex in the postcode and are inside the M25 I count them as both,seeing as no one in power can make up their sodding mind
I'm with you Sniper.

Failed history at school and rather be out birding than reading tones on land battles and historic boundaries! Postcodes for me! and I distinctly remember when I lived near Valentines Park Ilford, Essex CCC played there; and preceding postcode IG..... was ESSEX.

That means a bald eagle pulling a carp from Fairlop Waters will be an awesome Essex lifer!

Bottom line - Your list is YOUR List!
Old Friday 28th March 2014, 10:52   #3336
Linfordbirder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie1905 View Post

I most definitely think Rainham birds are Essex birds!

For what it's worth...

Debbie

..... If the way they used to call and display at Hollywoods is anything to go on ... I'd definitely agree LOL
Old Friday 28th March 2014, 12:32   #3337
The sniper

Lol,my old stomping ground
Old Friday 28th March 2014, 16:44   #3338
The sniper

I see a decent amount of migrants arriving now in Essex,with decent weather this weekend and more people out birding it looks like a few more will be reported in next couple of days
2 sedge warblers & white throat at heybridge today,plenty of wheatears,sand martins reported as well as a few little ringed plovers
A few yellow wags and willow warblers appearing in the South East and should turn up in Essex next few days,shame I probably won't get much birding done this weekend
Old Friday 28th March 2014, 18:45   #3339
Steve_Halstead
Sparrow or Crow?

A good walk through brookes EWT today with Vange with some great results

8 redwing, 2 sparrowhawk, heard a tawny, 1 treecreeper, long tailed tits, coal tits (all pictures suggest this sadly Vange) Red legged partridge, (very clear in the books me thinks) along with mallards on flight.

Coal over Marsh. - I came to this decision due to the evidence of the wing barring in cases where the back of the head was not evident.

Just to help me out, he also let me out of the shit junction I was stuck at, primarily, I hope you enjoyed the walk and the talk!

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ltt.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	489580  Click image for larger version

Name:	tcreep.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	489581  Click image for larger version

Name:	coal tit.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	276.9 KB
ID:	489586  Click image for larger version

Name:	ctit2.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	236.1 KB
ID:	489587  Click image for larger version

Name:	ctit3.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	304.5 KB
ID:	489588  

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 28th March 2014, 19:22   #3340
BirdPics
Essex birder living in Ireland

I'm being positive,

going to give Abberton a good go tomorrow, around the centre at least anyway, there must be something to find. After some decent pictures as well.

Osprey would be nice, even if it probably would just be a flyover.

Can't think of anywhere else to go anyway. Still need to ask mum for a lift so if that falls down just ignore this post.
Old Friday 28th March 2014, 19:26   #3341
Steve_Halstead
Sparrow or Crow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdPics View Post
I'm being positive,

going to give Abberton a good go tomorrow, around the centre at least anyway, there must be something to find. After some decent pictures as well.

Osprey would be nice, even if it probably would just be a flyover.

Can't think of anywhere else to go anyway. Still need to ask mum for a lift so if that falls down just ignore this post.
Is there no Colchester bus route?

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 28th March 2014, 19:35   #3342
BirdPics

No need! we're good to go.

And yes Coal Tit by the way
Old Friday 28th March 2014, 20:54   #3343
vangerover

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitter_bugger View Post
A good walk through brookes EWT today with Vange with some great results
Thanks for showing me around, some great birds, pity we never got to see a Marsh Tit though. Definitely Coal Tits and RLP and don't forget the Grey Heron!
Terry
Old Saturday 29th March 2014, 21:56   #3344
Linfordbirder

Kent today - wife wanted to see a Hoopoe .... and just had to deliver! Cracking bird well worth the trip over the bridge and not far too.

Then Elmley Marshes - Reserve looking great and a photography delight .... for those who can take decent shots! Closest thing we have to a safari drive, as you can use your car as a hide along the 3.5 mile track. Nice chat to Gareth son in law of the owner too.
Old Sunday 30th March 2014, 19:05   #3345
Steve Arlow

This cracking guy still around Pitsea, I do like white-winged Gulls
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Iceland Upload.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	489955  
Old Sunday 30th March 2014, 21:04   #3346
BirdPics

Some pics from Abberton yesterday. Not much of note to report, no Ospreys despite favourable conditions.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4170.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	316.1 KB
ID:	489967  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4183.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	339.0 KB
ID:	489968  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4225.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	234.3 KB
ID:	489969  
Old Monday 31st March 2014, 12:45   #3347
Sharp Shin
Stewart Belfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdPics View Post
Some pics from Abberton yesterday. Not much of note to report, no Ospreys despite favourable conditions.
I do like the photo of the drake Red-crested Pochard. Wildfowl pictures can often appear dull and pretty lifeless, but you've managed to captured some character in this bird.

I was at Abberton late morning today and the number of Black-necked Grebes has swollen from two to six! With the additional presence of two Slavonian Grebes, there's quite a Grebe-fest happening in Hide Bay. (However, unlike previous sightings of the pair of Black-necked Grebes where there was clarity in the air and the sun was glinted in their red eyes, today it was quite hazy there.)

Stewart
Old Monday 31st March 2014, 14:18   #3348
JamesA
Crap Birder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp Shin View Post
I was at Abberton late morning today and the number of Black-necked Grebes has swollen from two to six! With the additional presence of two Slavonian Grebes, there's quite a Grebe-fest happening in Hide Bay.
Is there anywhere to view Hide Bay from after hours these days? Thinking about popping over to Abberton when I get home but I've honestly hardly ever done that part of the reserve since the old centre was knocked down.

I spent an hour or so looking/listening for marsh tit in Brookes Wood yesterday, but apart from one brief snatch of song that was probably a marsh, didn't get any. One, poss two LSWs, bullfinch and loads of yellowhammers in the surrounding fields made up for it though.
Old Monday 31st March 2014, 15:32   #3349
neil78

I would think you must be able to get a view, albeit distant, from LDLH church, although have never tried.
Old Monday 31st March 2014, 20:02   #3350
Sharp Shin
Stewart Belfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesA View Post
Is there anywhere to view Hide Bay from after hours these days? Thinking about popping over to Abberton when I get home but I've honestly hardly ever done that part of the reserve since the old centre was knocked down.
As Neil says, you can probably get a view from the Church at the top of the hill. I noticed that there is now a footpath that seems to connect the Church to the gates of the Visitor's Centre, and that skirts Hide Bay.

This said, it would probably be worthwhile discovering the weather conditions. I as said in my earlier post, it was very hazy looking over the water at Abberton today. Similar conditions, would give poor views from any sort of distance. Not sure what caused the haze today, but the couple of showers we had here in Colchester brought deposits of Saharan sand.

Stewart

Last edited by Sharp Shin : Monday 31st March 2014 at 20:19.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: