Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Essex Birding

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 79 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Thursday 17th April 2014, 21:27   #3401
Sharp Shin
Stewart Belfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesA View Post
Stilts are apparently still at Old Hall, c500 yards east of the north east corner of the "short walk". So here ish, I guess.

Was kinda surprised they were still there yesterday - very surprised they're there today.
I think that we can now be "surprised" if the birds move on. Loads of birders report seeing them copulating (way hey!), so might hopefully see them stay to breed.

This morning, the Stilts were in the location that James indicated, but became mobile in the afternoon - giving a few folk the run-around.

Love is certainly in the air at Old Hall Marshes, with a pair of Garganey there, both looking quite inseparable.

At high tide, a dozen or so Whimbrel were together in a field south of the Bale Field. And, quite a few (ten or more?) Spotted Redshank could be seen around the reserve. Lesser Whitethroat were vocal in bushes near to the car park.

Quite the place to be today!

Stewart
Old Friday 18th April 2014, 10:21   #3402
Sharp Shin
Stewart Belfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp Shin View Post
I think that we can now be "surprised" if the birds move on. Loads of birders report seeing them copulating, so might hopefully see them stay to breed.

Stewart
No sign, so far this morning. So, before anyone else says it - yes, I know that I shouldn't speak too soon and tempt fate!

Stewart
Old Friday 18th April 2014, 15:58   #3403
Steve_Halstead
Sparrow or Crow?

Quote:
No sign, so far this morning. So, before anyone else says it - yes, I know that I shouldn't speak too soon and tempt fate!

Stewart
No sign of them there today, however, we did get some views of the Long Tailed duck on the salcott channel (birdpics or tom, and I)

F'hoe - Nightingale, hen harrier, marsh harriers - a real good day to be honest. The thing I do not understand is that people have put down that it is there, but there was no buzz, no stampeding folk, the car park was bloody mentally busy today however.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hen harrier.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	492431  Click image for larger version

Name:	ltd2.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	492432  Click image for larger version

Name:	nightingale.JPG
Size:	336.0 KB
ID:	492433  

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 18th April 2014, 16:02   #3404
Original PaulE

Quote:

Stewart
I went this morning my first visit, lovely place no sign of the stilts though,Did see the long-tailed duck, gargenay some lovely Avocets Black-tailed Godwits,a Greenshank a brent goose and my first sedge warbler and Common Whitethroat of the year. I also saw a flock of what i thought were Curlew seemed to big and Bulky for Whimbrel and i couldn't see any head pattern on em, on way back to suffolk i stopped off at the Layer Breton causeway at Abberton where i found 3 Little Ringed Plover and a yellow Wagtail.Earlier had been to the visitor center where i saw the Arctic tern and several Common Terns also a Greenshank and 2 Ruff were nice

Cheers
Old Friday 18th April 2014, 16:08   #3405
Steve_Halstead
Sparrow or Crow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original PaulE View Post
I went this morning my first visit, lovely place no sign of the stilts though,Did see the long-tailed duck, gargenay some lovely Avocets Black-tailed Godwits,a Greenshank a brent goose and my first sedge warbler and Common Whitethroat of the year. I also saw a flock of what i thought were Curlew seemed to big and Bulky for Whimbrel and i couldn't see any head pattern on em, on way back to suffolk i stopped off at the Layer Breton causeway at Abberton where i found 3 Little Ringed Plover and a yellow Wagtail.Earlier had been to the visitor center where i saw the Arctic tern and several Common Terns also a Greenshank and 2 Ruff were nice

Cheers
Was the LRP just running by the causeway?

Sounds like a great day!

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 18th April 2014, 16:24   #3406
Weatherloach

Good views of a pair of Stonechats on Hadleigh Sea Wall yesterday.

Andy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	stonechat1.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	268.0 KB
ID:	492434  Click image for larger version

Name:	stonechat10.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	492436  
Old Friday 18th April 2014, 16:36   #3407
Steve Arlow

touch work today with a few migrants but nothing significant with best being Nightingale at Wakering. Long walk around Wakering Stairs, Oxenham Farm circuit, about 5+miles. Weather started fine then turned cold and windy. Hoping for better to come.

With the Stonechats presumable the Hadleigh Seawall you mean the seawall between Leigh Golf Driving Range and Benfleet Station that runs along Benfleet Creek.
Old Friday 18th April 2014, 16:44   #3408
BirdPics
Essex birder living in Ireland

Best I got of the LTD
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4597.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	300.2 KB
ID:	492437  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4609.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	246.0 KB
ID:	492438  
Old Friday 18th April 2014, 18:37   #3409
Weatherloach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Arlow View Post

With the Stonechats presumable the Hadleigh Seawall you mean the seawall between Leigh Golf Driving Range and Benfleet Station that runs along Benfleet Creek.
Yes that's the one - the old landfill.

Andy
Old Friday 18th April 2014, 21:02   #3410
Original PaulE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitter_bugger View Post
Was the LRP just running by the causeway?

Sounds like a great day!
Yes they were on the Layer Breton causeway on the side between the causeways if that makes sense about half way along
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20140418_141036.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	408.1 KB
ID:	492471  
Old Sunday 20th April 2014, 17:22   #3411
Weatherloach

Plenty of Nightingales singing at Fingringhoe yesterday afternoon. Found a couple Easter Bunnies too!

Andy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ng3.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	253.6 KB
ID:	492737  Click image for larger version

Name:	cc1.jpg
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	492739  Click image for larger version

Name:	bc1.jpg
Size:	242.9 KB
ID:	492741  Click image for larger version

Name:	bun1.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	241.7 KB
ID:	492742  
Old Tuesday 22nd April 2014, 08:24   #3412
JamesA
Crap Birder

Best I could manage this weekend was a slightly mixed singing chiffchaff (presumably) at the north end of LB causeway. It sang the standard chiff song, though each note was slightly "sparrow"-like, before tacking on the first half of a willow warbler type song every now and then. Never saw it, and it didn't sound as good as the mixed-singer at Rainham a while back, but interesting anyway. Kind of.
Old Saturday 26th April 2014, 18:09   #3413
BirdPics

Not a bad time at Abberton today, 5 Black Terns, Whimbrel, Nightingale, Garden Warbler, Wheatear, Green Sandpiper, Yellow Wagtail, SWIFT!!!, Swallow, Kestrel and Buzzard

Some video of the Black Terns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_2mGW9GdnE
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4721-2.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	211.3 KB
ID:	493603  
Old Saturday 26th April 2014, 18:29   #3414
neil78

The Wood Sand at Vange Marsh was still present this morning, and continued to show the whole day.
Old Saturday 26th April 2014, 19:21   #3415
Sharp Shin
Stewart Belfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdPics View Post
Not a bad time at Abberton today, 5 Black Terns, Whimbrel, Nightingale, Garden Warbler, Wheatear, Green Sandpiper, Yellow Wagtail, SWIFT!!!, Swallow, Kestrel and Buzzard

Some video of the Black Terns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_2mGW9GdnE
Tom: not a lot of woodland around at Abberton for Garden Warbler. Am I right in thinking it (they?) was in the woodland edging the old road, north of the entrance gate?

Stewart

PS - I did I flying visit to Abberton myself today and caught up with the Black Terns, but the main surprise was 9 Whimbrel in the grass close to the left-hand side of the new Island Hide. Did you get a photo of them - they looked very obliging?
Old Saturday 26th April 2014, 19:41   #3416
BirdPics

Quote:
Tom: not a lot of woodland around at Abberton for Garden Warbler. Am I right in thinking it (they?) was in the woodland edging the old road, north of the entrance gate?

Stewart

PS - I did I flying visit to Abberton myself today and caught up with the Black Terns, but the main surprise was 9 Whimbrel in the grass close to the left-hand side of the new Island Hide. Did you get a photo of them - they looked very obliging?
Yeah the Garden Warbler was reported by someone else and I took a walk with Viv & Tim along the reserve side of the woodland rather than the old road, the Garden Warbler was singing and we saw it dart from one tree to another. The Whimbrel I saw weren't that close unfortunately, there was one flock that went over and 1 individual on the bank but too distant for pictures.
Old Tuesday 29th April 2014, 12:29   #3417
JamesA
Crap Birder

Seawatching

Hi - a few seawatching questions. My previous Essex seawatching experience is limited almost entirely to the Havering/Thurrock stretches of the Thames, where NE on a rising tide was best. But what weather conditions are best when watching from the Frinton/Walton area? I'm assuming winds with an easterly element still, but beyond that I'm clueless. How tide dependant is it? And is late summer onwards the best time, or can it be productive at this time of year too? Apart from Frinton/Walton are there any other spots in the county away from the Thames that are worth watching from?

Thanks all.
Old Tuesday 29th April 2014, 16:57   #3418
Frinton BO
Paul Brayshaw

Hi James. I'll give a fuller answer on the sea watching when on a computer back at home but after almost eight years of pretty much daily watches I've drawn a few conclusions and still have many questions!
Weather is far more important than tide. There is a school of thought that says the offshore sand banks discourage birds from moving inshore but I'm still very open minded on this and don't think it really has much influence relative to weather.
I'll come back to weather....;0)
Location wise I am biased as I have a sea view from home but Frinton does seem
To offer some advantages over local sites. Walton pier tends to deflect birds out to sea, from where they cut across to Suffolk (northbound birds are often not seen at land guard and are distant at the naze as a consequence). The shape of the coast to the south often means birds are further offshore at holland haven than Frinton - it is surprising that we have failed to track some fairly obvious birds between sites (going both ways) in the past. Watching from the sluice or greensward shelter by the car park are the best locations at the haven. The latter gives a bit more height over the sea which helps in stormy weather.
There is the same dilemma at Frinton. Watching from the greensward gives height and a further horizon and better views in stormy weather, but will miss waders and terns passing close in. Add to that a clear overland route through hamford water (terns, waders and even skuas) which rejoin the coast anywhere between Walton pier and holland on sea and it can be difficult to know where to watch from! Autumn arrivals seem to focus on the tower blocks in Frinton but this may just be perception as it is where I am!
Nowhere else is heavily watched - bradwell gets good coverage and then it is the outer Thames sites which get the benefit of birds tracking the north kent coast
Autumn is certainly best but there as the possibility of good movement throughout the year. I'll post again later in that too

Paul
Old Tuesday 29th April 2014, 21:05   #3419
Weatherloach

Turtle Dove seen briefly at Heybridge gravel pit this evening.

Also is the second one a sedge Warbler? Thanks in advance.

Andy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	turtledove.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	494139  Click image for larger version

Name:	warbler.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	494140  
Old Tuesday 29th April 2014, 21:49   #3420
vangerover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frinton BO View Post
Hi James. I'll give a fuller answer on the sea watching when on a computer back at home but after almost eight years of pretty much daily watches I've drawn a few conclusions and still have many questions!
Weather is far more important than tide. There is a school of thought that says the offshore sand banks discourage birds from moving inshore but I'm still very open minded on this and don't think it really has much influence relative to weather.
To offer some advantages over local sites. Walton pier tends to deflect birds out to sea, from where they cut across to Suffolk (northbound birds are often not seen at land guard and are distant at the naze as a consequence). The shape of the coast to the south often means birds are further offshore at holland haven than Frinton - it is surprising that we have failed to track some fairly obvious birds between sites (going both ways) in the past. Watching from the sluice or greensward shelter by the car park are the best locations at the haven. The latter gives a bit more height over the sea which helps in stormy weather.
There is the same dilemma at Frinton. Watching from the greensward gives height and a further horizon and better views in stormy weather, but will miss waders and terns passing close in. Add to that a clear overland route through hamford water (terns, waders and even skuas) which rejoin the coast anywhere between Walton pier and holland on sea and it can be difficult to know where to watch from! Autumn arrivals seem to focus on the tower blocks in Frinton but this may just be perception as it is where I am!
Nowhere else is heavily watched - bradwell gets good coverage and then it is the outer Thames sites which get the benefit of birds tracking the north kent coast
Autumn is certainly best but there as the possibility of good movement throughout the year. I'll post again later in that too

Paul
Thank you for this detailed insight into sea-watching.

best wishes
Terry
Old Tuesday 29th April 2014, 23:08   #3421
johnbuchanan
Keepin' on searching...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherloach View Post
Turtle Dove seen briefly at Heybridge gravel pit this evening.

Also is the second one a sedge Warbler? Thanks in advance.

Andy
Great photos- Turtle Dove is excellent!
And yes it is a Sedge Warbler (most obviously due to broad supercilium and streaky back)
John
Old Wednesday 30th April 2014, 08:26   #3422
JamesA
Crap Birder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frinton BO View Post

Paul
Paul - thanks very much for this, very kind to take the time to put it in writing. I look forwards to your weather/movement stuff later!
Old Wednesday 30th April 2014, 14:30   #3423
Frinton BO
Paul Brayshaw

OK, so weather and time of year. This is my gut feel view rather than anything I have done statistically – I’m sure that will come as I have all the data ready should I ever get the urge (and the time) to do it properly - I’ve 8 years of data with over a million birds logged (although how many times an individual Brent has been counted over the years is anyone’s guess!)

Winter
Red-throated Divers are offshore from mid-late December until late March but timing of numbers etc varies. There tends to be an influx in late December, then in some years birds are offshore continually, or they disappear offshore/elsewhere and turn up depending on where the food is. Fresh onshore winds will be most productive, usually SW – late skuas, Kittiwakes in particular, but anything from NE-SE-SW is worth a look.

Spring
Early spring then light to moderate winds between NE and S. There seems to be a good chance of adult Gannet passage as soon as there is any strength in a wind from the east, whilst divers and cormorants are also involved.
By April, then a moderate onshore between E and S might produce the odd skua, some Common Scoter passage (some years v noticeable as in 2013), whilst lighter winds will see Brent departing but these are crack of dawn birds. Mornings with light winds will generally see some Black Headed Gull passage (plus diurnal land migrants). Fulmars are best seen in April and May- in light winds often flying along the edge of the undercliff over the Greensward. Stronger winds see them over the sea more as expected although they can appear at any range in any conditions.

Late April- early May – easterly element is best. Might produce a few terns and waders (Barwits and Whimbrel) – often get a wader passage on a sunny evening with birds heading into a decent headwind. Hit and miss for other things, but if a strong enough easterly then chance of a skua perhaps.

Summer
June tends to be a quiet month – perhaps some Swift movement and if any decent breeze then a chance of a few Gannets. Fresh NE can give a small evening movement of adult Kittiwakes which are presumably birds heading back to the Suffolk colonies. Returning Curlew are most prominent – a decent SW breeze needed to get them down over the sea and visible. Similar in July but a increasing variety of waders, often a good passage of presumed immature Common Scoter and some terns appearing from mid-month. Best chance of movement of the latter is late afternoon and evening with a light onshore breeze.

Autumn – which I’m including August to December!
August is terns and waders as per July, with a few skuas appearing and wildfowl as the month wears on. Also chance of shearwaters increases etc. Best conditions seem to be strong SW, particularly following a weather window where birds leave the ?Low Countries? in fine weather only hit an Atlantic depression tracking east. This applies throughout the autumn , so big movements of Brent, Scoter and Dunlin (for example) can occur.
Other species (notably Brent and wildfowl) move with an E-SE tailwind so from mid-September a switch in wind direction to the east will result in movement, although sometimes not until lunchtime or early afternoon, presumably as birds left at first light. Brent move in numbers from mid September to end October, with lots of Wigeon in with the earlier movements.

However, strong winds from the North (anywhere between NW and NE) can see a northward passage of birds re-orienting from the Outer Thames area. Sometimes you can see the southbound passage but it is unusual and often distant (e.g. 2012 I think when 500+ Gannet and 100+ southbound skuas one day was exceptional) . Peak passages of Gannet back north normally occur the day after a good northerly blow.

For shearwaters – particularly Sooty- a mid-September fresh SE-E wind is best and birds can be quite close in off Frinton and Holland Haven. Manx are just as likely to be seen heading south as well as north and generally into a headwind. Rarer things like Cory’s (both those fully identified and distant probable) have been seen in both fresh SW and SE-E conditions - best chance is after a strong SW-W airstream which has either pushed birds around Scotland into the North Sea or pushed them up the Channel.

By November focus is more on seaduck and waders – best chance of a few Velvet Scoter, Goldeneye, Goosander, movement of Shelduck, Eider and Mergs, plus other oddities – smaller auks, Snipe etc. The variety in early November watches is challenging at times although numbers are reduced compared to November. Same conditions again are best – autumn 2013 saw some huge Dunlin movement as winds freshened rapidly from the SW following a clear night. This also give the excitement of Starling and thrushes arriving,

Seaduck passage can continue right through December, and then it is a case of waiting of the divers to return in numbers.

Just realized I haven’t mentioned diurnal passage during the autumn… Perhaps slightly off topic but since I’ve written an essay already I might as well include them next!
Hope this is of some use and I haven’t bored the pants off you all. If there was something moving at sea today I probably would have written less ;0)

Paul
Old Wednesday 30th April 2014, 14:34   #3424
Frinton BO
Paul Brayshaw

Graph of birds per 10 day period (month 1 January to 12 December) seen whilst sea watching at Frinton attached for information. Hourly coverage isn’t allowed for – I generally put in more time when there is greater passage so would expect a similar profile. However clearly shows where it is best to put the effort in! (totals include diurnal land migrants so a lot of hirundines and finches in September and October respectively).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bird distribution.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	494233  
Old Wednesday 30th April 2014, 15:15   #3425
JamesA
Crap Birder

Paul - thanks again, a fantastic guide.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread