Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Essex Birding

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 79 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Tuesday 20th May 2014, 06:42   #3451
Phil Carter

Having never been to Wallasea, I'm assuming the only directions needed are to follow Creeksea Ferry Road? Any other info would be gratefully received.

Phil
Old Tuesday 20th May 2014, 07:41   #3452
Steve Arlow

That is correct. Once on Wallasea keep going east towards Gapnall's Farm and turn right at the farm and park at the end of the dead end road at the white gate and view ploughed field from there.

Alternatively continue along the road to the RSPB car park and park at the north end of the ploughed field by the 'Spoonbill' sign and view from there. There is a car park at the end of the road, on either side, and birding can be made along the seawall from here.
Old Tuesday 20th May 2014, 07:42   #3453
Phil Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Arlow View Post
That is correct. Once on Wallasea keep going east towards Gapnall's Farm and turn right at the farm and park at the end of the dead end road at the white gate and view ploughed field from there.

Alternatively continue along the road to the RSPB car park and park at the north end of the ploughed field by the 'Spoonbill' sign and view from there. There is a car park at the end of the road, on either side, and birding can be made along the seawall from here.
Cheers Steve, much appreciated.

Phil
Old Tuesday 20th May 2014, 10:18   #3454
Steve Arlow

I don't know if it's been looked for today.

Yesterday it was present in the field till 7.20pm when it flew high to the south. This may have happened previously as someone else was on site prior to me arriving and the bird wasn't present for about 50mins but flew in high over them from the south calling and landed in the field. Perhaps it has some other area it also favours?

Hopefully it will pitch itself up again for others to see it, it is a cracking individual.
Old Monday 26th May 2014, 22:42   #3455
Steve_Halstead
Sparrow or Crow?

Whos about this week?

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 27th May 2014, 07:47   #3456
Steve Arlow

I'm not, off to Fair Isle tomorrow.

Pretty quiet birding wise at present, best I had over the weekend was a Caspian and Adult MedGulls at Bowers Marsh along with the lond staying tip leucistic Great Black-backed Gull. A Peregrine there also plus one over the garden, still no Buzzards over the garden this year which is odd as they were near daily last year.

Shame the Blyths Reed Warbler at Writtle didn't linger for the Essex listers..
Old Tuesday 27th May 2014, 12:04   #3457
Debbie1905

Turtle Dove

Hi, I've had a lovely Turtle Dove in my tiny garden for the last two days. It's been hanging about with the Collared Doves, but is much more timid than them and flies off at the slightest disturbance. Photos below taken through the (rather dirty) double glazed patio doors, and the constant drizzle, so are rubbish naturally. Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Turtle Dove in grass.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	751.1 KB
ID:	498910  Click image for larger version

Name:	Turtle Dove in tree.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	498911  
Old Tuesday 27th May 2014, 19:59   #3458
zomerset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie1905 View Post
Hi, I've had a lovely Turtle Dove in my tiny garden for the last two days. It's been hanging about with the Collared Doves, but is much more timid than them and flies off at the slightest disturbance. Photos below taken through the (rather dirty) double glazed patio doors, and the constant drizzle, so are rubbish naturally. Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it!
That's a great one Debbie!! I have been looking out for one, not seen one yet.
Old Tuesday 27th May 2014, 21:01   #3459
Debbie1905

Thanks zomerset, it was my first too - been looking for two years and it just dropped into the garden. Still around this evening so I'm hoping it will be around tomorrow when the weather will be better for photos.
Old Wednesday 28th May 2014, 13:42   #3460
The sniper

We get many collared doves in my mums garden,am always checking in there just in case we get a turtle but never have,I dream that one day we will.
Coal tit is the best I can manage today,reasonably regular in the Central upminster garden but not for a while
Old Wednesday 28th May 2014, 15:20   #3461
Debbie1905

Our regular mob are: Wood Pigeon, Collared Dove, Feral Pigeon, Magpie, Blackbird, Starling, House Sparrow, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Dunnock, Great Tit, Blue Tit, and that's it, with flyover gulls and Crows as we are close to the beach. Had a Robin for a while but not for a few months, and a Sparrowhawk once last year. Only been in this house since last October, so hope the flyovers at least will increase, but having had this Turtle Dove, who knows what else might drop in for a snack?
Old Monday 2nd June 2014, 17:22   #3462
BirdPics
Essex birder living in Ireland

LENS UPDATE:

Canon 100-400mm
Old Saturday 7th June 2014, 20:24   #3463
BirdPics

Found yet another Black Tern at Abberton this afternoon
Old Sunday 8th June 2014, 06:43   #3464
Andrewpa

Does anyone know anything with regards to the Alpine Swift that was seen in Braintree last night?

Thanks in advance

Andrew.
Old Sunday 8th June 2014, 08:06   #3465
BirdPics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewpa View Post
Does anyone know anything with regards to the Alpine Swift that was seen in Braintree last night?

Thanks in advance

Andrew.
" Briefly among common swifts drifting north from my garden. Clearly much larger than common and white belly very obvious" David Porter

via EBWS site
Old Monday 9th June 2014, 20:35   #3466
Sharp Shin
Stewart Belfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdPics View Post
" Briefly among common swifts drifting north from my garden. Clearly much larger than common and white belly very obvious" David Porter

via EBWS site
OK, that's my birding strategy for the rest of the summer: lay back on the sun-lounger; binoculars ready at one side; a cool frothy drink ready at the other side; and watch the swifts in the sky over the garden. Tried it today, but no luck; though large periods of time seem blank!

Stewart
Old Wednesday 11th June 2014, 10:57   #3467
BirdPics

SHORT-TOED EAGLE 1 at Bradwell-on-Sea. Flew SSW over Bradwell Bird Observatory (11:26am)
Old Wednesday 11th June 2014, 11:58   #3468
BirdPics

Possible SHORT TOED EAGLE flew SSW over Blue House Farm, Essex Wildlife Trust at 11:36 via BirdGuides
Old Wednesday 11th June 2014, 13:08   #3469
BirdPics

Beeleigh Weir, Maldon on lunch break. Red Kite, Buzzard, Kingfisher, Common Tern, Little Egret, Cygnets and Ducklings but no Short-toed Eagle
Old Wednesday 11th June 2014, 18:42   #3470
vangerover

We reckon that the Bradwell and Bluehouse Short-toed Eagle were the same bird. The Bradwell bird flew SSW which would have taken it over Blue House. It then flew in the direction of Hockley over SOG airspace. When the eagle appeared, it as a fantastic ten minutes until it disappeared from sight!
Old Wednesday 11th June 2014, 19:10   #3471
Sharp Shin
Stewart Belfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by vangerover View Post
We reckon that the Bradwell and Bluehouse Short-toed Eagle were the same bird. The Bradwell bird flew SSW which would have taken it over Blue House. It then flew in the direction of Hockley over SOG airspace. When the eagle appeared, it as a fantastic ten minutes until it disappeared from sight!
That must have been a heart-stopping moment when you first realised what you were looking at. Well done Terry. A first record for Essex!

Was the consensus that the bird had come in off the sea?

Stewart
Old Thursday 12th June 2014, 11:15   #3472
vangerover

We were alerted by the gulls making an almighty din. The original call was for an Osprey but once the others got on it, it was immediately recognised as a Short-toed Eagle. It was low down over the shingle bank looking out from Obs. But once the Herring Gulls and a pair of Peregrine started attacking, it went higher and higher and higher. I had never seen one before but the regulars had seen STE many times in Europe, Africa and Asia. I was struck by the dark hood and the white underparts.

I wasn't sure where it came from, it was suddenly there! It went so high, the scopes were almost vertical, then it was immediately over the Obs and free of mobbing birds it drifted off SSW. Observers were marvelling at the bird, there was no thought of a camera. Someone said "put the news out" and there was more than one call of "I'm not taking my eyes of this bird!"

When we lost it we put the news out to various bird agencies and friends. One Obs. regular was at Bluehouse Fm and saw the STE fly over followed by a Common Buzzard which was much smaller in comparison. A detailed description has been produced for scrutiny. However, as has been said on another forum, we know what we saw. I never thought I'd see such a magnificent bird.

best wishes
Terry
Old Friday 13th June 2014, 07:46   #3473
Steve Arlow

immature Night Heron reported at Dusk at Rainham last night, flew over new the entrance apparently, via Twitter
Old Monday 16th June 2014, 08:54   #3474
BirdPics

Is it me or is Essex totally dead at the moment?
Old Monday 16th June 2014, 10:10   #3475
JamesA
Crap Birder

It's not dead, it's June. Nothing is moving and we're left with the residents/breeders, most of which are spread thin these days.

For what it's worth, (and making an assumption about what you mean by "totally dead"), perhaps change your expectations about what constitutes a good day birding in June?

I spent a happy couple of hours last weekend surrounded by corn bunts, yellowhammers, linnets, yellow wagtails and skylarks, with a little owl for good measure, at a patch of farmland way inland. I suppose in other months, 10 corn buntings wouldn't make a good birding trip. But in June, corn bunts singing and carrying food is an excellent day out, made all the better in a bittersweet way by the knowlege that in our lifetimes they just won't be there. So enjoy them while they are, along with all the rest, before the county really is "totally dead".
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: