• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Griswold's UK Birding Year 2019 (1 Viewer)

Took the pup for a walk down the Mumbles today for an ice cream. A nice and easy tick for #200 as this species nests on the pier. Great to hear their calls. 5 Grey Seals just around from the pier as well.

200. Kittiwake

Tomorrow I’m heading to Skomer with my youngest. An absolute must if you’re in the area.

Attachments

• 105770E0-4F03-492C-914B-67120D3CE550.jpeg
    105770E0-4F03-492C-914B-67120D3CE550.jpeg
    155.4 KB · Views: 8
Had an absolutely brilliant day with my youngest yesterday. Left the house at 06:00 and arrived at Martin's Haven at roughly 07:40. Luckily we just about managed to get on the last boat that was departing to Skomer at 12:00. Will leave earlier next time:eek!:

Killed some time by walking around the headland. Max is loving taking photos at the moment so the time went really quickly. Plenty of Stonechats, Whitethroats, Fulmars, Gannets etc.

Over on the island the seabird spectacle should not be missed. It really is worth the trip if you're even remotely in the area. Thousands of Auks all along the cliffs and nesting Kittiwakes mixed in along with Fulmars. Max absolutely loved the Puffins which were coming as close as a couple of feet in some areas. He was also landed to spot the only 2 Chough of the trip.

Arrived home at 19:00 and watched the last of the recorded SpringWatch episodes. A good end to a cracking day out:t:

201. Puffin
202. Guillemot
203. Razorbill

Took a half day this afternoon and headed up to Slimbridge. Thanks to the birder from the Midlands for getting me in the right area for this bird. A lifer for me and very unexpected:t: Shame the heat haze meant the view was pretty poor.

204. Little Bustard Lifer #9 B :)

Then, as I was in the area, I stopped at Frampton for the Common Terns.

205. Common Tern

Rich

A mad dash down to Penclacwydd after work today. So rushed I got halfway and had to return home for my wallet!! No worries. Lifer in the bag. A great bird and good to meet Chris whom I follow on Twitter.

206. Collared Pratincole Lifer #10 B :)B :)B :)
207. Mediterranean Gull.

Had my lunch break at Pembrey Harbour yesterday. A great place at this time of the year for this species.

208. Sandwich Tern

Cracking day out with my 8 year old and Kev today. Up at 4 and headed straight to Pittville Park, Cheltenham. Soon our target was found by a birder I presumed to be local:t: . Max got on to it before me so he was absolutely chuffed.

209. Black-crowned Night Heron Lifer #11 B :)B :)B :)

Nice view of a Sparrowhawk in the park along with a GCG and 2 young. Next it was off to Goldcliff.

In hide 1 another birder got on to a Green Sandpiper. We stayed as I saw another Sandpiper very briefly, that did not appear to be a Green. After 10 mins or so it showed better and another year tick was had in the form of a Wood Sandpiper. Thought we might have missed out on the recent influx.

Max added a few further lifers in Glossy Ibis, LRP and Ruff and then it was off to Newport Wetlands. Very quiet here but Max did pick up a couple of new RSPB pins. An excellent day.:t:

210. Wood Sandpiper
211. Green Sandpiper

Attachments

• IMG_7586.jpg
    IMG_7586.jpg
    623.5 KB · Views: 8
Having a cracking holiday on Mull with the family. Added:

212. Blue-winged Teal. Lifer# 12:t::t:
213. Tystie
214. Manx Shearwater
215. Red-throated Diver.

Headed down to Ogmore yesterday with the hound. Some decent birders down there and good company. The Wryneck that’s been there for a few days gave excellent views. Big thanks to the birder from Yorkshire who let people use his scope. Spectacular plumage on the bird:t:

216. Wryneck

Attachments

• DC4B5543-D0BC-4576-9B0F-DEB2CC1BB87C.jpeg
    DC4B5543-D0BC-4576-9B0F-DEB2CC1BB87C.jpeg
    744.1 KB · Views: 9
Cracking day out at Strumble yesterday morning with 2 birders I know via Twitter (though I’ve met Tom several times at Kenfig) and Kev. Risso’s Dolphin was a lifer for me but we also had Common Dolphins and Harbour Porpoises.

Some great birds though I did struggle to pick some out giving some of the distances involved - Peregrine, Chough, Fulmars, Manxies, Gannets, Shag, Auks etc. etc. Added the following to the year list:

217. Arctic Skua
218. Bonxie
219. Leach’s Petrel Lifer #13 B :)B :)B :) Big thanks to Tate for this one.

Rich

It’s been a long time since I’ve been able to add to my year list so it was great to add 2 yesterday. Highlight of the day though was meeting Kev’s baby boy for the 1st time. A very handsome little man.

Anyway. Off we went and parked up at Rest Bay. Then a quick walk along the coastal path. Bud enjoyed playing with the other dogs in particular the other 2 Vizslas. He was noticeably more muscular but they were bitches.

Lifer number 14 was sat up on the fence being harassed by Wagtails and Pipits.

220. Red-backed Shrike Lifer #14 B :)B :)B :)

A further short walk round to Sker and the Long-tailed Duck was still on the flooded area. Good to catch up with Bernie too.

221. Long-tailed Duck

Next it was off to the Knapp. Not for a year tick but to hopefully see a species we both like. On arrival we were told it had flown off an hour and a half ago so we went for a walk along the beach with Bud. On returning the Bunting stood out like a sore thumb. I’ve been lucky enough to see Snow Buntings on 3 separate occasions this year. Great little birds.

Attachments

• 641D5E8E-BC8D-44F0-8BE5-774CA53AACE9.jpeg
    641D5E8E-BC8D-44F0-8BE5-774CA53AACE9.jpeg
    299.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 8C26DF7A-C143-4BFD-983D-20A56D4D1D63.jpeg
    8C26DF7A-C143-4BFD-983D-20A56D4D1D63.jpeg
    570.3 KB · Views: 9
  • AA19135A-2FC8-471C-A659-214E33F9CEC0.jpeg
    AA19135A-2FC8-471C-A659-214E33F9CEC0.jpeg
    341.1 KB · Views: 7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back