Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Essex Birding

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 79 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Sunday 6th April 2008, 15:18   #1
Essex Tern
BF Supporter 2020

Essex Birding

There doesn't seem to be a thread on Essex Birding, so thought I would start one......

Highlights from my morning at Abberton Reservoir were:

• Slavonian Grebe (lifer)
  • Year ticks: Yellow Wagtails, House Martins, Swallows and a Blackcap.
  • A nice pair of Bullfinch

It was really odd seeing my first Swallows and House Martins of the year through heavy snow!

Scaup were reported, but I failed to find them.

Malvin.

BF Supporter 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 6th April 2008, 17:10   #2
Original PaulE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvin View Post
There doesn't seem to be a thread on Essex Birding, so thought I would start one......

Highlights from my morning at Abberton Reservoir were:

• Slavonian Grebe (lifer)
  • Year ticks: Yellow Wagtails, House Martins, Swallows and a Blackcap.
  • A nice pair of Bullfinch

It was really odd seeing my first Swallows and House Martins of the year through heavy snow!

Scaup were reported, but I failed to find them.

Malvin.
Hi Malvin
good idea for a thread i quite often go across the border
my favourite sites in essex are wrabness, manningtree and fingeringhoe and i also quite often go to abberton so hopefully i will be able to contribute
would be interested to know of any other decent birding sites especially in the north of the county
cheers
Old Sunday 6th April 2008, 18:03   #3
Essex Tern
BF Supporter 2020

Hi Paul

My main "haunts" are Abberton, Fingringhoe and Tollesbury Wick (with a few occasional others) - I too hope that further decent sites are highlighted by this thread, that was one of my main objectives for creating it.

I feel I tend to stick to a few favourite sites, but I am sure the county has much more to offer, and hope some ideas come through this thread.

Malvin.

Old Sunday 6th April 2008, 19:36   #4
Mike Richardson
Formerly known as Skink1978

I'm often in Essex so I will keep an eye on this thread and will contribute when I can. My girlfriend is originally from South Essex so I tend to bird areas such as Rainham Marshes, Southend etc.
I lived in Colchester for four years so also enjoy visiting sites further north such as Fingeringhoe Wick.

BF Supporter 2008 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 7th April 2008, 11:33   #5
Viv Connett

Good sites

Other good sites include Old Hall Marshes at Tollshunt D'Arcy (parking permit needed) and Shut Heath Wood near Great Braxted. Lesser-spots can be found there..................

Good idea starting an Essex thread BTW, have thought about it once or twice but never got round to it!
Old Sunday 13th April 2008, 19:14   #6
Original PaulE

hi
had reasonable day down in essex today started at cattawade saw a couple of green sandpipers and a rock pipit on the flash although failed to connect with the reported little ringed plover, thanks to the guy who told me at least four places where they had been seen, but no luck.
then this afternoon went to abberton where i managed to spot the summer plumage slav grebes and a female red crested pochard the latter being a lifer for me, thanks to the guy who confirmed the id, also pleased to see some cracking yellow wagtails and a couple of ruddy ducks although i got there to late to see the cattle egret still you can't win them all.
cheers
Old Sunday 13th April 2008, 20:40   #7
Essex Tern
BF Supporter 2020

Spent the morning at Abberton and got the 3 Slavonian Grebe also - much better views for me than last week.

Also had a pair of Smew diving below a Common Tern which was sitting on a post up the far end of the Layer Breton causeway.

Nice views of Blackcap and Chiffchaff in the reserve, however did not see a single Martin or Swallow throughout the morning, which after last week, was a bit of a shock.

Year list now at 99 (94 of those Essex), hoping 100 will be a swift.

Malvin.

Edit: also had a Weasel run straight across the road in front of me at the the visitor centre end of the main causeway.

Last edited by Essex Tern : Sunday 13th April 2008 at 21:23.

Old Wednesday 23rd April 2008, 14:29   #8
Phil Carter

These Essex threads never really seem to get going but I thought I'd chip in anyway. Had a walk round Hythe Lagoons, Colchester yesterday. Nothing to get too excited about really but there was a Whimbrel, a couple of Greenshank, 4 Green Sandpipers, 2 pairs of Avocet, Lesser Whitethroat and Whitethroat. Also Nightingale singing across the river.
Hopefully the thread will get a few more contributors.
Phil
Old Saturday 26th April 2008, 14:49   #9
Original PaulE

had my first black tern at abberton earlier today
cheers
Old Saturday 26th April 2008, 17:11   #10
Viv Connett

will be off there tomorrow. Amother good site - Heybridge Gravel Pits - produced Common and Lesser Whitethroat, Reed Warbler and Common Tern and we heard Cuckoo towards Maldon but it didn't show itself. However we did get at least 4together there this time last year so it is a good site for them.
Old Sunday 27th April 2008, 12:21   #11
Essex Tern
BF Supporter 2020

I gave Shut Heath Wood a go last week - heard plenty of woodpeckers, however failed to see a single one! I did get my 100th bird of the year though, and that was Treecreeper.

Had a walk round Chigborough lakes this morning and saw a fair few summer birds: Whitethroat, Nightingale, Cuckoo, 3+ Turtle Doves, a House Martin and as I was leaving I finally saw a Swift.

Drove home via Abberton causeways. A pair of Slavonian Grebe are still present, as were a few Swift and a Sparrowhawk obligingly sat on a post for a while.

Old Saturday 3rd May 2008, 18:13   #12
Stuart Read

Yesterday evening (2nd may) was very good at Abberton.
Looking east from the Laver de la Haye causeway there were the pair of Black-winged Stilts, 2 Black-necked Grebes, 3 LRP, 9 Greenshank, 2 Oysterctcher, a flock of 10-12 Whimbrel, up to 4 Hobby a few Yellow Wagtails & a good number of Common Terns

Stuart.
Old Saturday 3rd May 2008, 19:27   #13
Original PaulE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Read View Post
Yesterday evening (2nd may) was very good at Abberton.
Looking east from the Laver de la Haye causeway there were the pair of Black-winged Stilts, 2 Black-necked Grebes, 3 LRP, 9 Greenshank, 2 Oysterctcher, a flock of 10-12 Whimbrel, up to 4 Hobby a few Yellow Wagtails & a good number of Common Terns

Stuart.
wow!
think i might pop over tomorrow if i can think of an excuse the wife will beleive
cheers
Old Saturday 3rd May 2008, 21:35   #14
On-Firecrest
Stuck in a Rutt

I went to Abberton today, dipped the stilts but got the grebe's, a load of common terns, some very showy hobbies (check my blog) a yellow wagtail, corn bunting and a ringed Greenshank. It's a nice place and well worth the visit.
Old Wednesday 7th May 2008, 06:25   #15
Essex Tern
BF Supporter 2020

Picked up 6 year ticks over the weekend.

Brief stop at Abberton reservoir got me the 2 Black Necked Grebe, a number of Greenshank and 2 Hobbies waiting for the day to begin on some fence posts in the distance.

Then moved on to Old Hall Marshes and had some very nice views of Little Terns hunting low over the dykes. I also got Reed and Sedge Warbler.

I failed to get my first ever Essex Bearded Tits, however it is always nice to see 3+ Marsh Harrier and a number of Black Tailed Godwit in breeding plumage.

A nice day's birding.

Malvin.

Old Wednesday 14th May 2008, 12:22   #16
Phil Carter

Saw the Red-Necked Phalarope at The Hythe last night and again this morning, it's a cracking little bird. There was a Hobby about last night and a Short-Eared Owl this morning. Other than that there are Greenshank, Avocet and Black-Tailed Godwit. Haven't seen any Little Ringed Plovers there this year though.

Phil
Old Thursday 15th May 2008, 11:32   #17
jimibird

Great, an Essex thread again, let see if we can keep this one up and running!

Im out every weekend at Fingringhoe (sat morninigs) and try to get to Abberton as much as poss.

I also like the walk from Wivenhoe to Arlesford along the old railway route. Have had all the usual suspects up there this week, Sedge and Reed Warbler, Whitethroat, Lesser Whitethroat, Blackcap etc.

Will post report after comming weekend.
Old Friday 16th May 2008, 15:02   #18
russkie

anyone want company on birdwalk wivenhoe area- if i can fit it in during social engagements pm me
cheers
Nigel
Old Monday 19th May 2008, 12:18   #19
jimibird

Well this weekend went to Hythe pools on sat morning and had a nice gropper in the scrubby vegetion behind the industrial estate. I love that song!

Then I went to abberton (layer breton causeway) in the afternoon where there were thousands of swifts, quite impressive. Also had a nice grey wagtail there.

Then off to Tollesbury in the rain where the wind almost blew me off the sea wall, all the regulars plus a barn owl over the marshes. No warblers in the bushes at all due to the inclement weather!

Sunday morning went to Fingringhoe, all the regular warblers including whitethroat, lesser whitethroat, blackcap, reed warbler and a Cettis was heard. Losts of singing nightingales too. Marsh harrier over the river mobbed by gulls.

Then went to Frinton in the afternoon and Holland Haven scrape, not too much exciting about all the usual waders and gulls.

Then went to Hythe pools on the way home not much exciting there ethier!

So in all, not an earth shattering weekend but good fun none the less.
Old Monday 19th May 2008, 21:57   #20
Phil Carter

Had a quick look at the Hythe this evening. Not a great deal to report but the Avocet numbers were up and a few pairs were mating so hopefully we'll have a bit more breeding success this year. Other than that there was Common Sandpiper and 3 Little Ringed Plovers, which have been in short supply there this year.
Phil
Old Tuesday 27th May 2008, 08:00   #21
jimibird

Hythe Lagoon on sat morning, Avocet, Shelduck, Greenshank, Reed Bunting and Sedge Warbler.

Brightlinsea Marsh in the afternoon, not much about apart from fleeting glimpse of a single Hobby and ususal Gulls

Abberton on Sunday, more swifts that I have ever seen in my life, plus loads of Gulls and Common Terns. 2 Hobbies in front of the visitor centre were fun to watch.

3 Yellow Wagtails on the Layer De La Haye causeway plus the ususal.

No birding yesterday as was at a spa day with my wife, was very near to Hanningfield but was not allowed to leave spa to bird it!

Any one else get out in Essex over the weekend?
Old Wednesday 28th May 2008, 11:46   #22
jimibird

Any one else been out and about in Essex over the last few days?
Old Wednesday 28th May 2008, 14:34   #23
Phil Carter

Hythe Lagoons yesterday had 30+ Black-Tailed Godwit, 5 Common Sands. Greenshank, Little Ringed Plovers plus the usual 17 Avocets, Redshank and Shelduck. Cracking views of a Cuckoo as well.

Phil
Old Wednesday 28th May 2008, 17:05   #24
Viv Connett

haven't had much chance to get out and about locally due to work and weather but will hopefully manage some this weekend.

Abberton/Old Hall/Mersea are on the agenda................
Old Thursday 29th May 2008, 18:21   #25
jimibird

Pretty wet at the Hythe lagoons this PM, soaking in fact!

Usual numbers of Avocet, two Little Ringed Plover, pied wag, one barwit and lots of shelduck. Linnet and reedbunting in the scrub and a few linnet around the dodgey looking warehouses on the walk in.

Jimi
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: