• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2020 (1 Viewer)

Went to La Gola first thing, all very quiet but did see 1 crossbill in the woods and a very close up common sandpiper on the bridge handrail. Called in at Maristany, Mute Swan on far side of pond plus common and red crested pochard. Around 100 crag martins none as brown and white as the 3 hirundines we saw at Albufereta yesterday which we thought might be sand martins. On to La Victoria on Alcúdia Bay for an hour sea watching in difficult cold and windy conditions. Saw 20 shearwaters a good way out in a fairly lively sea, I am reliably informed these will be Balearics at this early stage in the year. Hopefully the worst day of weather is behind us, I shall return to La Victoria on a calmer day!

Hi ToniCath. The pies are shop bought, I love to cook but I’m not sure my skills are a match for my local bakery. They are superb, meat and peas, chicken and a vegetarian one too.
They are very popular in Mallorca as are many other delights.
Mike

a.k.a. empanadas, or coccarois

All delicious!

Hi ToniCath. The pies are shop bought, I love to cook but I’m not sure my skills are a match for my local bakery. They are superb, meat and peas, chicken and a vegetarian one too.
They are very popular in Mallorca as are many other delights.
Mike

We look forward to trying them in May.

A little bakery near the petrol station in Puerto Pollenca looks a good bet ?

Well Mike that sounds as though we now have to visit the bakery very soon after arrival, such detours are always welcome distractions.......thank you for the recommendation !!!

Hi Phil
Typical last dates for Alpine accentor in spring are between 3rd and 7th March, usually seen at the tower, Albercutx or the Mirador lower down the road.
Autumn arrivals commence at the very end of November.
Mike

Another great day at Albufera today in the company of Geordie Dave an Mike Swiss.
The usual 25+ Night herons were roosting along the main canal and it was along here we had a perching Kingfisher which sat long enough to get some photos.
From the Sa Roca hides there were 2 Greylag geese, a single Wigeon and good numbers of Teal, Shoveler, Mallard and a few Shellduck. The only waders there were Lapwing and Black winged Stilt until a group of 9 Spotted redshank flew in. Purple swamp hen was also there.
The Cibollar hides held nothing new apart from Water pipit so we moved onto the power station hide. Much to Mike’s displeasure ( we dragged him there kicking and screaming). However this turned out to be a good choice as the best birds of the day we’re seen there. The waders included Spotted and Common Redshank as well as Greenshank. Good numbers of Wildfowl there included Wigeon, Pochard and 4 male Pintail. Also there 3 Black necked grebe amongst the usual Little grebe but the bird of the day was undoubtedly the stunning male Hen harrier that Mike picked up as it flew towards us.
As always a great day with great company.
These are the days!

After the dramas of Albufera I called in at Maristany on the way home just in time to see a female marsh harrier land on a male mallard and hold it under water to drown it before dragging into the edge of the reeds and eating it for tea!! The mute swan is still there on the far side of the pond. Another excellent day.

The Saga continues. Wonderful day out in Lluc, where you are allowed to walk down into the Valley on a Sunday.
Accompanied with Mike and Jane, the three Amigos went forth. The weather was perfect, and the company even better.
First birds seen included Blue tits and Song Thrushes around the Monastery. Three Red Kites flew past.
Further down the Valley, numerous Chaffinches, Chiffchaffs, Robins, Blackbirds, Goldfinches and Song thrush were seen. Possible Mistle thrush was heard but not seen.
At the bottom of the Valley by the small bridge a Cirl bunting was seen.
Several Ravens were seen overhead.
At the end of the Valley, at least 16 Griffon Vultures and 4 Black Vultures appeared.
As we entered the “Hamlet” at the end of the Valley, two Dunnocks were seen or heard.
A pleasant walk back included a few further species, including blackcaps, Crag Martins, Great tits. Two Booted Eagles and a further two Red Kites appeared. Several Meadow Pipits were seen.
No sign of the Yellowhammer that was recently reported near the Monastery.
Thanks Guys for a great day in the wonderful Valley of Lluc.

Attachments

• D961E2EA-0CE4-4C79-B015-097C294B3E14.jpeg
    D961E2EA-0CE4-4C79-B015-097C294B3E14.jpeg
    58.2 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Thanks Mike, Kevin and David for another great day out and some super birding.
The drive home over the mountains in the low evening sun was unforgettable, absolutely stunning.
I even got two Barn owls tonight, one on the way out and a different one on the way home. Rounded off a superb day very nicely.
Cap Ses Salines in the morning.
Mike

A very frosty start to the day with ice on the car.
196 Balearic shearwaters flew east from Cap de Ses Salines but little else of note on the sea.
Two Mistle Thrushes were present and many raptors were in attendance, all local birds including one Bonelli’s Eagle.
Mike

A mid afternoon visit to S’Albufera. Very quiet there in both number of people and birds seen. The weather is still gorgeous, with blue skies and sun kissed reeds.
The usual birds seen there included Purple Gallinule, Water Rails, Common Snipe, Common and Green Sandpipers, Blackwinged Stilts, Teal, Shoverlers, Gadwall, Shellducks, Wigeon, Lapwings, Great White, Little and Cattle Egrets, Cetti’s and Sardinian Warblers, Water pipits, Serins, and several Marsh Harriers.
Amazing to see the Snipe and Water Rails feeding in the open as the sun was going down.
My first Great Crested Grebe of the year was also seen.

Attachments

• 3EFE70BF-A7EA-42BA-82F2-F8648F3DB7B7.jpeg
    3EFE70BF-A7EA-42BA-82F2-F8648F3DB7B7.jpeg
    318.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 5E173186-6D79-4836-81EE-79F59EF3338E.jpeg
    5E173186-6D79-4836-81EE-79F59EF3338E.jpeg
    368.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 035A830C-FC30-4E87-B2B8-E8FD1A1CE7AB.jpeg
    035A830C-FC30-4E87-B2B8-E8FD1A1CE7AB.jpeg
    230.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 9476C192-FE59-4FDF-8B7A-D3F6A09533B2.jpeg
    9476C192-FE59-4FDF-8B7A-D3F6A09533B2.jpeg
    226.1 KB · Views: 55
  • C7360EB4-80B2-4CBB-8FF0-08886F4469FB.jpeg
    C7360EB4-80B2-4CBB-8FF0-08886F4469FB.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 51
Went to the south of the island today and after clearing frost from the car drove down to meet Kevin at Salobra de Campos and once the low mist cleared it was a beautiful sunny morning. A word of warning there is still a lot of standing water about and you will need wellies to get along Eddies Track. There were around 40 flamingo with the usual shelduck, plenty of marsh harriers, a grey plover and 11 curlew together with 30+ linnets and a single bluethroat that was playing hard to get. We went round to the salt pans at the Es Trenc road and from the side of the road saw Kentish and ringed plover, little stint and Dunlin. We then called in at Colonia de Sant Jordi and saw several hundred golden plover on one of the islands in the sea behind Hotel Marques. Next stop was to the polo pitches at Sa Barrala which produced 40-50 lapwing, several hoopoe and 40+ skylark. Our final visit was to the monastery at Randa late in the afternoon for 2 red kites and a grey wagtail but sadly no ring ouzel. Another wonderful day in the Mallorca winter sunshine!!

One of the best “Tourist” spots for family (and birding) up North is in the Roman Ruins in Alcudia. The old town also has some of the best restaurants and great chocolate cake!
As the ruins are surrounded by the Mountains and near to the sea, the position offers great opportunities for bird watching.

Birds seen included Booted Eagles, Kestrals, Marsh Harrier, Hoopoes, Cattle and Little Egrets, Yellow legged and Audouins Gulls, Cormorant, Serins, Goldfinches, Chaffinches,Chiffchaff, Black Redstart, Song Thrush, Meadow Pipits, Greenfinch and White Wagtail.
Dunnocks and wrens were seen on a previous visit last year.
The Trees are in Bloom again.

A quick stop at S’Albufereta on the way home provided 20 Flamingoes, 5 Marsh Harriers, 3 Great white Egrets, Sandwich terns, and the usual ducks.
No sign of the Bluethroat recently reported at the tower.

Attachments

• 941BBFA8-D85C-4A69-9AE8-9ABE9094CF7D.jpg
    941BBFA8-D85C-4A69-9AE8-9ABE9094CF7D.jpg
    339.2 KB · Views: 47
A more leisurely day today starting out at the Depuradora where a single Ibis was the highlight then on to the Doghouse, S’Amarador platform and Cami des Poll where again there was little to be seen. Arrived at Albufera just as a school trip was leaving and seemed to have the whole place to myself. With water levels quite high there were almost no waders around, a couple of snipe and spotted redshank and nothing else. There was a great crested grebe in the canal next to the main bridge but it was staying close to the reeds at the waters edge. I was beginning to think it was going to be a quiet day as I went on to the Bishop hide at Es Cibollar and immediately spotted a peregrine falcon sat on a mound in the grassed areas north of the hide towards the hotels. I’m guessing it had just eaten as it seemed happy to sit and preen for over half an hour. Eventually it made a move to sit on the tall bare tree (the one like a telegraph pole) only to be chased by a male hen harrier that came in from the right hand side. After a bit of a scuffle the harrier continued on to the left in the direction of the power station where Mike Swiss, Kevin and I had seen it just a couple of days earlier. It just shows that even on the quietest of days you’re only one or two birds away from a memorable trip out. Tomorrow Mortix!

Local visit to La Gola and Campanet on another beautiful day.

Birds seen at La Gola included Common Sandpiper, Sandwich Terns, Little Egret, Grey Heron, Audouins Gull, Yellow Legged Gull, Moorhen, Sardinian Warbler, Water Pipits, Chiffchaffs, Robins, and Song Thrush.

This was followed by a walk around the fields in Campanet.
Birds seen included RedKites, Booted Eagles, Kestrals, Red Legged Partridge, Serins, Cirl Bunting, Goldfinches, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Black Redstarts, Song Thrush, Great Egret and Cattle Egret.

Although no special birds were seen today, it was still an amazing day for January.

Went to Mortix this morning on a beautiful, sunny winters day. The vineyards were alive with small birds that were very active and not always easy to identify. Plenty of cirl bunting, greenfinch and goldfinch were mixed in with the dozens and dozens of black redstart and chaffinch. About 200-300 yards short of the reservoir I found at least 6 brambling in a small wooded area. A little further on I had a brief sighting of a blue/grey and pink warbler that may have been a Dartford Warbler, it seemed to be showing too much pink to be a Balearic. At about 11.30am the first vultures appeared, a distant group of 4 that were too far away to identify. It was later at around 1pm when I got views of 10 together, some definitely griffon and at least 2 very dark and probably Black Vultures. There were plenty of blackcaps about and dozens of small thrushes, those that I could ID were all song thrushes. In 6 hours I saw 5 people other than a few workers at the vineyards. A magical day in a magical place that is rapidly becoming my favourite walk in the north of the island

Forgot to mention dunnock in the steep valley below the reservoir and blue tit at the top of the valley near the turn off to the refuge

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back