• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rodent ID please (1 Viewer)

Unless you have a particular reason to suppose these might just be House Mouse I'm definitely thinking you've got Brown Rats. Get the poison baits, kill traps and .22 in pronto.

John

Thanks for the replies.
I was rather hoping that they were House mouse - mus musculus.
They are way too small for Rats but the thought that they're juveniles is still nagging away at me. Someone else that I've asked leans towards mice.
At the moment it's 2-1 for the rat. Grrr.

Which ever they are I strongly advise that you use traps rather than any kind of rodent poison as you don't want to put your bird life in a dangerous circumstance.

Which ever they are I strongly advise that you use traps rather than any kind of rodent poison as you don't want to put your bird life in a dangerous circumstance.

In the UK you are obliged to put poison in places that other wildlife will not get to e.g. poison boxes that the rats have to climb into to get to it. It is an unpleasant thing to have to do, and you need to keep an eye out for dead/dying rats in the garden and then dispose of them: but older rats are canny and will usually avoid kill traps. Poison is thus indispensable if you wish to eliminate an infestation rather than just constantly killing juveniles.

Even then you may end up having to shoot old, scarred, wily rats that are too smart to fall for your deadly blandishments.

I suggest stopping feeding the birds for a while as well.

John

Thanks for all the replies.
Poison isn't an option, I have a hedgehog in the garden as well as at least three cats that visit every night.
I've not seen them since but I'm permanently trail camming the garden and I would have thought they'd be after the hedgehog food but nothing as yet.
Perhaps the neighbours cats which I curse every day will come to my help.

Thanks for all the replies.
Poison isn't an option, I have a hedgehog in the garden as well as at least three cats that visit every night.
I've not seen them since but I'm permanently trail camming the garden and I would have thought they'd be after the hedgehog food but nothing as yet.
Perhaps the neighbours cats which I curse every day will come to my help.

I've certainly had a new attitude to feline visitors since the last infestation in our street. The humorous cat that left the body of one of its ratty victims spreadeagled on the glass roof of a neighbour's conservatory left me in stitches.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back