• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Joseph N's 2010 Year List (1 Viewer)

A trip up to the Angus Glens (Glen Doll) today in search of a bogey bird of mine, Golden Eagle, was successful and thus brings the year list to 206 species. However views were not as satisfactory as they could of been, with views of a pair distantly for about a minute in area where they are often seen very well.

With reports of a Temminck's Stint at Rigifa Pool, just a mile south of Aberdeen, I couldn't resist but go and look for this bird. Soon found on muddy shore close to road, showing well down to 20ft at times. A lovely bird and well worth the after-school trip. This now takes the yearlist up to 207 species

The last month or so resulted in a bit of a hiatus from birding - however I hope to do a lot more birding as the Autumn approaches. Since I last posted I have had my first Great Skua of the year off Blackdog, and yesterday Honey Buzzard at Wykeham Forest, North Yorks, and Long-eared Owl at a site in Durham were both lifers and year ticks. This takes the year list up to 210.

4 Sooty Shearwaters today at Battery Park and a Spotted Redshank at Strathbeg take the yearlist up to 212 species

3 drake Surf Scoters off Blackdog today means my year list is now at 213 species. I have been hoping to get time after time in the last couple of years, so finally seeing them for the first time today was a joy.

A Wood Sandpiper at Rigifa Pool and and a Lesser Whitethroat at Girdleness bring the year list up to 215 species.

A trip on the 5th September down to Lothian was very successful, with Pectoral Sandpiper, Semipalmated Sandpiper and Red-necked Grebe all seen, the latter two being lifers. On the 8th September, getting out on the day of a fall resulted year-tick wise in 2 Pied Flycatchers and 3 Whinchats - missing Barred Warbler and Wryneck was disappointing, however. Nonetheless, the year list has reached the 220 mark, a total I was hoping to reach before I go to Fair Isle in the second week of October .

Last edited:
A fantastic evening's birding down at Girdleness resulted in refinding a Short-toed Lark that had been seen briefly early that day for the first time in several hours, my second sighting of this species in Britain, with good but brief views, and also fantastic views of 4 Lapland Buntings, surprisingly the lifer out of the two birds. They take the year list to 222.

Two more outings have resulted in some fantastic birding, with two very obliging Shore Larks on the 2nd at Donmouth, a lifer for me, and today a Yellow-browed Warbler (my third ever) and Little Stint taking the year list up to 225. I am off to Fair Isle for 5 days on Tuesday, then spending a couple of days twitching in Shetland. With a bit of luck this should be a great trip and will hopefully get me over my new year list target, 230.

It has been a long time since I last posted in here! The year list has risen quite a bit higher since October, pretty much all due to an unforgettable trip to Fair Isle, which included 11 year ticks and 9 lifers. The year list before today was on 237. However a Glaucous Gull at Torry today takes it up to 238. For the Fair Isle year-ticks/lifers, see the year list.

ATB,

Joseph

The year has finally come to a close, and I am immensely pleased by my final total - 240. Since my last post I have managed two new year ticks, with a Green-winged Teal at Kinneil Lagoon, Forth, on the 28th, and a Green Sandpiper at Ashford Reservoirs in Somerset today (I am spending the new year down in Somerset). This has been an absolutely sensational year that I feel won't be rivalled for some time. Next year I will be doing a purely Scotland based year list, so check out that topic to track my birding exploits of 2011.

All the Best,

Joseph

Users who are viewing this thread

Back