• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North Sea Thread (1 Viewer)

Nest?

I am only seeing one crow when out and about at the moment. That's not to say that the other isn't around somewhere. The one I am seeing seems to be collecting materials that may be suitable for nest building. Further investigation needed I think.

Only Fulmar (85+) seen today, but had a Great Skua at close quarters yesterday, and a Guillemot the day before.

Only Two

Only two species on view today, so I photographed both. One hundred and eighteen examples of one seen, and only one example of the other. I'll let you all work out which was which.

I quite like the arty looking shot, although it was purely accidental. :t:

Attachments

• Fulm rsz.jpg
    Fulm rsz.jpg
    529.7 KB · Views: 88
  • Seal rsz.jpg
    Seal rsz.jpg
    717.8 KB · Views: 72
Love the greys. And the fulmars of course. There is a nesting colony of fulmars only about 2 miles from Brora. Love seeing them show up every year.

All Time Platform List

I've been meaning to do do this for a while. The list is made up from my records over the last three years and my memory of the preceding twenty two years. I may have missed one or two species, but will review the list and amend if necessary.

Platform List

1. Barnacle Goose
2. Greylag Goose
3. Pink-Footed Goose
4. Common Eider
5. Velvet Scoter
6. Common Scoter
7. Long-Tailed Duck
8. Red-Breasted Merganser
9. Storm Petrel
10. Fulmar
11. Balearic Shearwater
12. Grey Heron
13. Gannet
14. Shag
15. Cormorant
16. Osprey*
17. Sparrowhawk
18. Water Rail
19. Golden Plover
20. Ringed Plover (d)
21. Curlew
22. Turnstone
23. Ruff (d*)
24. Woodcock
25. Snipe
26. Grey Phalarope
27. Spotted Redshank
28. Kittiwake
29. Black-Headed Gull
30. Common Gull
31. Great Black-Backed Gull
32. Glaucous Gull
33. Iceland Gull
34. Herring Gull
35. Lesser Black-Backed Gull
36. Great Skua
37. Arctic Skua
38. Common Guillemot
39. Razorbill
40. Woodpigeon
41. Collared Dove
42. Long-Eared Owl
43. Short-Eared Owl
44. Wryneck (d)
45. Kestrel
46. Merlin
47. Peregrine
48. Carrion Crow
49. Hooded Crow
50. Great Tit
51. Swallow
52. House Martin
53. Willow Warbler
54. Chiffchaff
55. Sedge Warbler
56. Icterine Warbler
57. Blackcap
58. Lesser Whitethroat
59. Goldcrest
60. Starling
61. Blackbird
62. Fieldfare
63. Redwing
64. Song Thrush
65. Robin
66. Wheatear
67. Grey Wagtail
68. Pied Wagtail
69. Meadow Pipit
70. Rock Pipit
71. Chaffinch
72. Brambling
73. Goldfinch
74. Siskin
75. Yellowhammer
76. Little Bunting (d)

Note – Buzzard species and Redpoll* species also observed

Note 2 - There is a story of an Eagle Owl many years ago, however I could not find enough evidence to support it. The only eye witness I could find, just remembers it as a "really big owl".

So, 76 +2 bird species. More than I thought it would be, but room for improvement. :t:

Could get a lot better in the next couple of days...

It just did. :t:

Lesser Whitethroat spotted hopping about down on the Spider Deck. :t::t:

2018 List
1) Cormorant
2) Great Black-Backed Gull
3) Herring Gull
4) Kittiwake
5) Fulmar
6) Glaucous Gull
7) Gannet
8) Short-Eared Owl*
9) Iceland Gull
10) Red-Breasted Merganser
11) Black-Headed Gull
12) Starling
13) Guillemot
14) Robin
15) Grey Wagtail
16) Common Gull
17) Blackbird
18) Lesser Black-Backed Gull
19) Song Thrush
20) Woodcock
21) Curlew*
22) Woodpigeon
23) Redpoll*
24) Pied Wagtail
25) Long-Eared Owl
26) Carrion Crow
27) Meadow Pipit
28) Common Snipe
29) Great Skua
30) Sparrowhawk
31) Wryneck (d)
32) Swallow
33) Chiffchaff
34) Lesser Whitethroat

Last edited:
I was directed to another migration casualty this afternoon. Arriving at the given location, I found the body of a Spotted Flycatcher. A first record for the platform, but sad that this bird will not be making it to Scandinavia having made it this far.

2018 List
1) Cormorant
3) Herring Gull
4) Kittiwake
5) Fulmar
6) Glaucous Gull
7) Gannet
8) Short-Eared Owl*
9) Iceland Gull
11) Black-Headed Gull
12) Starling
13) Guillemot
14) Robin
15) Grey Wagtail
16) Common Gull
17) Blackbird
19) Song Thrush
20) Woodcock
21) Curlew*
22) Woodpigeon
23) Redpoll*
24) Pied Wagtail
25) Long-Eared Owl
26) Carrion Crow
27) Meadow Pipit
28) Common Snipe
29) Great Skua
30) Sparrowhawk
31) Wryneck (d)
32) Swallow
33) Chiffchaff
34) Lesser Whitethroat
35) Spotted Flycatcher (d)

Nothing new in today, apart from a pipit like bird that flashed by. This morning though, I received a report from one of our electricians, who had seen a Kestrel yesterday afternoon. Historically, May is a good month for Kestrels here.

Only the Fulmar flock and the odd passing Gannet out at sea.

2018 List
1) Cormorant
3) Herring Gull
4) Kittiwake
5) Fulmar
6) Glaucous Gull
7) Gannet
8) Short-Eared Owl*
9) Iceland Gull
11) Black-Headed Gull
12) Starling
13) Guillemot
14) Robin
15) Grey Wagtail
16) Common Gull
17) Blackbird
19) Song Thrush
20) Woodcock
21) Curlew*
22) Woodpigeon
23) Redpoll*
24) Pied Wagtail
25) Long-Eared Owl
26) Carrion Crow
27) Meadow Pipit
28) Common Snipe
29) Great Skua
30) Sparrowhawk
31) Wryneck (d)
32) Swallow
33) Chiffchaff
34) Lesser Whitethroat
36) Kestrel*

Every Cloud

I am not supposed to still be here, but my chopper was grounded by fog in Aberdeen this morning. I still had to check in for the flight at 09:45 hrs, so having climbed all the way up to the admin office in the top of the accommodation block, I decided just to pop up onto the access deck next to the helideck.

The helideck area has produced some good birds for me over the years, but has been devoid of birds this last three weeks. I was not hopeful, but as I reached the top of the stairs, I disturbed a bird that flew onto the edge of the helideck, perched briefly, then dropped down out of sight. I tried to locate it under the helideck, but to no avail.

The first thing I noticed when I spotted the bird were the distinctive white wing bars. When it perched with its back to me, I noted that it wasn't a Chaffinch, that its back/upper wings were greyish, and that there were no distinctive markings on its face. My viewing time had been very brief. Maybe, 5 seconds. I was thinking warbler, but knew something was not right.

Not finding the bird again, I headed into the accommodation to consult my Collins Guide. I was focused on having seen a distinctive white wing bar. The only thing remotely close in the warbler section was a Greenish Warbler, but it was not right. Face was not right and size was not right. I glanced briefly at flycatchers, but nothing stood out.

I headed back to the helideck in the hope of relocating the bird again. Reaching the same spot from where I had first seen it, I was delighted when the bird flew into view again. This time it landed on a handrail about ten feet from me. I started noting features, but the bird kept facing me this time. Black legs and beak, plain brown face, whiteish cream breast, throat and unders. Eventually, after what seemed an age, the bird turned and gave me a dcent and extended view of its wings. There was the greyish back, white wing bar, and blackish primaries. I had my first offshore Pied Flycatcher; a fine female specimen.

The bird flew off again, but when I returned for a third time with a friend, it was back in the same area, and again gave good close views. I returned for a fourth time later in the morning with a camera, but there was no sign.

Fog has now cleared in Aberdeen, so I should be off in a few hours, but it does seem that even fog has a silver lining. :t:

2018 List
1) Cormorant
3) Herring Gull
4) Kittiwake
5) Fulmar
6) Glaucous Gull
7) Gannet
8) Short-Eared Owl*
9) Iceland Gull
11) Black-Headed Gull
12) Starling
13) Guillemot
14) Robin
15) Grey Wagtail
16) Common Gull
17) Blackbird
19) Song Thrush
20) Woodcock
21) Curlew*
22) Woodpigeon
23) Redpoll*
24) Pied Wagtail
25) Long-Eared Owl
26) Carrion Crow
27) Meadow Pipit
28) Common Snipe
29) Great Skua
30) Sparrowhawk
31) Wryneck (d)
32) Swallow
33) Chiffchaff
34) Lesser Whitethroat
36) Kestrel*
37) Pied Flycatcher

Just arrived out on Ekofisk today. Red backed Shrike 2, Pied Fly, Garden Warbler, Tree Pipit, Chiffchaff.
Over the last my work collegue has had Icterine, Marsh, Greenish, Blyths Reed, Nightjar and good numbers of common migs. Birds are still arriving on the high pressure.

Pete

Summer Doldrums

I've been out here for a week, but there is very little to report. To show how bad it has been, the gull count for the week stands at three (all GBBG). Only resident birds are a small flock of Fulmars. Their numbers are generally between eighty to one hundred. Outside of that we've had a couple of Guillemots and a homing pigeon. I wanna go home.

I've been out here for a week, but there is very little to report. To show how bad it has been, the gull count for the week stands at three (all GBBG). Only resident birds are a small flock of Fulmars. Their numbers are generally between eighty to one hundred. Outside of that we've had a couple of Guillemots and a homing pigeon. I wanna go home.

Sorry to hear that you're in the doldrums, but it will get better soon.:t:

I'm in a bit of a holding pattern here, too, stuck between spring migration and July herons/shorebirds. My consolation prize is watching Tree Swallows fledge from my box.

A bit more showing yesterday and today. Yesterday saw a Grey Seal and then an unidentified whale turn up. Also, the first Herring Gull for a while showed up, followed by four today. Also today, I've seen a very definite increase in Gannet activity, including a group of six being pursued by a Great Skua.

Dog Days

THe dog days of summer have continued, with very little to report this week. Fulmar flock is still present, and Gannets pass by in ones and twos. The odd Herring/Great Black-Backed Gull also seen to pass by. I've also been seeing Guillemots on a fairly regular basis, with more sightings recorded than in any previous year.

This morning brought my bird of the week. A (I'm guessing young?) Great Skua. Unusually, this one was sitting close in to the platform. Most of my sightings are fairly distant fly bys, so nice to see the bird at rest. We seem to do really well for Great Skuas, with forty sightings in 2017. The records for the NSBC in the few years up to and including 2016 only show single figures of sightings per annum, so we must be on a main route or something. I think that this bird is our fourth this year.

Attachments

• GS RSZ.jpg
    GS RSZ.jpg
    552.3 KB · Views: 48
Newsflash

After 25 yrs and 6 months working in the North Sea, I've just seen my first ever offshore Puffin. Great Skua just got knocked to second place as bird of the month. :t::t::t:

2018 List
1) Cormorant
3) Herring Gull
4) Kittiwake
5) Fulmar
6) Glaucous Gull
7) Gannet
8) Short-Eared Owl*
9) Iceland Gull
11) Black-Headed Gull
12) Starling
13) Guillemot
14) Robin
15) Grey Wagtail
16) Common Gull
17) Blackbird
19) Song Thrush
20) Woodcock
21) Curlew*
22) Woodpigeon
23) Redpoll*
24) Pied Wagtail
25) Long-Eared Owl
26) Carrion Crow
27) Meadow Pipit
28) Common Snipe
29) Great Skua
30) Sparrowhawk
31) Wryneck (d)
32) Swallow
33) Chiffchaff
34) Lesser Whitethroat
36) Kestrel*
37) Pied Flycatcher
38) Puffin

Update

Nothing but Fulmars today. Very warm and very calm, with 140

Time for an update of the platform's all time list. Yesterday's Puffin and last months Spotted and Pied Flycatchers to add to it. It has felt like a hard spring and summer, but when I really look back at it in detail, it has been great. :t:

Platform List

1. Barnacle Goose
2. Greylag Goose
3. Pink-Footed Goose
4. Common Eider
5. Velvet Scoter
6. Common Scoter
7. Long-Tailed Duck
8. Red-Breasted Merganser
9. Storm Petrel
10. Fulmar
11. Balearic Shearwater
12. Grey Heron
13. Gannet
14. Shag
15. Cormorant
16. Osprey*
17. Sparrowhawk
18. Water Rail
19. Golden Plover
20. Ringed Plover (d)
21. Curlew
22. Turnstone
23. Ruff (d*)
24. Woodcock
25. Snipe
26. Grey Phalarope
27. Spotted Redshank
28. Kittiwake
29. Black-Headed Gull
30. Common Gull
31. Great Black-Backed Gull
32. Glaucous Gull
33. Iceland Gull
34. Herring Gull
35. Lesser Black-Backed Gull
36. Great Skua
37. Arctic Skua
38. Common Guillemot
39. Razorbill
40. Puffin
41. Woodpigeon
42. Collared Dove
43. Long-Eared Owl
44. Short-Eared Owl
45. Wryneck (d)
46. Kestrel
47. Merlin
48. Peregrine
49. Carrion Crow
50. Hooded Crow
51. Great Tit
52. Swallow
53. House Martin
54. Willow Warbler
55. Chiffchaff
56. Sedge Warbler
57. Icterine Warbler
58. Blackcap
59. Lesser Whitethroat
60. Goldcrest
61. Starling
62. Blackbird
63. Fieldfare
64. Redwing
65. Song Thrush
66. Spotted Flycatcher (d)
67. Robin
68. Pied Flycatcher
69. Wheatear
70. Grey Wagtail
71. Pied Wagtail
72. Meadow Pipit
73. Rock Pipit
74. Chaffinch
75. Brambling
76. Goldfinch
77. Siskin
78. Yellowhammer
79. Little Bunting (d)

Note – Buzzard species and Redpoll* species also observed

Back on duty today, I have been greeted by half a dozen or so Common Gulls, which are not that common here. There are also about a dozen GBBGs present and sixteen Fulmars. The odd Gannet seen to be passing.

At the weekend, before I arrived, one of the guys managed to grab a photo of another visitor.

Attachments

• Kes RSZ.jpg
    Kes RSZ.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 69

Users who are viewing this thread

Back