• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chile open new trek route (1 Viewer)

Well, I would expect you would see a number of good birds if you walk 2,800km ;)

I don't know the answer to your question, but Chile is definitely a good place to visit.

Niels

Well, I would expect you would see a number of good birds if you walk 2,800km ;)

I don't know the answer to your question, but Chile is definitely a good place to visit.

Niels

Perhaps I didn't phrase it properly? I wondered if it may make any currently, difficult species, more easy to get to now there seem to be some logistics in place?

What species are (currently) difficult in Chile (pure out of interest)?

The ones I can think of are several penguin species that nest on hard to access islands off the coast of Tierra del Fuego - and, of course, a hiking route is not going to change this. Otherwise, perhaps Hooded Grebe, but this is more due to its sporadic occurrence in Chile and remoteness of some of the pools that it might occur ...again, can't see the hiking route making this any easier.

Maybe I am overlooking some species.

Hi Andy,

I've only spent a limited amount of time in southern Chile, but birds were abundant and not difficult to find. Access and infrastructure along large parts of the new route are already very good and includes all key habitats and species, so I don't think this makes a big difference. However, it's a fabulous legacy and will be an amazing experience for those with the time (and stamina!).

You may be interested in this as well: the so-called Bi-Oceanic Railway from Sao Paolo to Peru
https://www.plenglish.com/index.php...analyze-details-of-bi-oceanic-railway-project
https://www.railway-technology.com/...dor-a-new-railroad-to-rival-maritime-freight/

Cheers,
Joost

Last edited:
I agree with Joost's comment about the new route - it is more a legacy and a great experience waiting to happen for the motivated, than it is about access to new habitats/birds.

Ignoring birds that are hard to get on your Chile list, which is a very different discussion, globally hard birds and major Chilean targets that are genuinely hard would be:

Fuegian Snipe: this is one of the harder birds in S America. If a good and accessible stakeout were found it would be a major feat. I'd put my trekking shoes on if I knew I could see this species!

Rufous-tailed Hawk: kind of hard but there is usually a nest known and with a bit of time you will see one.
Blackish Cinclodes: readily gettable via a boat out of Ushuaia so doesn't quite make the cut for me.

Chilean Woodstar, Ticking Doradito, Horned Coot, Diademed Sandpiper-Plover, Ruddy-headed Goose, Magellanic Plover, and many others are certainly great birds but are not really that hard and sites are well known.

Hooded Grebe is essentially a vagrant to Chile as far as I understand, and is readily accessible in Argentina with proper preparation (and is one of the best birds in S America in my opinion, I was not prepared for how gobsmacked I was when I saw it).

Masafuera Rayadito is one of the hardest Chilean species, and certainly is one of the more logistically challenging species of note in S America but isn't really germane to the discussion as I'm pretty sure the trail isn't going to give way to a surprise population of this species :)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back