• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Off the coast of Vancouver Island (1 Viewer)

vpr

Any thoughts on this one? I still have quite a lot of trouble with Brandts and pelagics.

Attachments

• unknown_cormorant-small.jpg
    unknown_cormorant-small.jpg
    717.3 KB · Views: 154
One thing that lead me to lean toward's pelagic was that it seemed to completely lack any throat coloring, but I'm not sure that is always diagnostic.

I was surprised by this one, so used a little time on images in the gallery. Most images of brant's showed a bill of equal length to the head behind the base of the bill with Pelagic having a bill closer to 2/3 of that length. This bird seems to have a short bill, but I don't know if there can be issues with the angle of the image making it not representative.

Niels

I think the original photograph is the best one, but I've attached another one which does show a slightly different angle and might give an impression of its shape. The details are not as clear though.

Attachments

• unknown_cormorant2.jpg
    unknown_cormorant2.jpg
    334.5 KB · Views: 20
This second picture shows the bill looking thinner, which inclines me toward Pelagic Cormorant.

Thanks all! I still find these two to be very challenging, and I appreciate all your insight and comments.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back