• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

System Restore for IPad (1 Viewer)

KC Foggin

Very, very long time member
Supporter
United States
Is there any way to do a system restore to IPAD?

I do not like the new Word with Friends that I just updated and want to go back to the old one.

I was under the assumption that in the Apple Walled Garden, all upgrades are one-way, no going back.

For cloud-based services (Words with Friends, Pokémon Go, Netflix), often you can be locked-out of the app until you upgrade, so they become effectively mandatory.

Last edited:
Yeah, it really is not fun when they change it and the experience gets worse, or buggy. I've been effectively locked-out of cloud-based apps by a buggy upgrade and had to wait until they upgraded again with the bugfixes. |:(|

I'm a bit confused - are you talking about going back to an earlier version of an app, or to an earlier version of the operating system?

The latter may be impossible unless you have a back-up saved specially. Apple does indeed make that impossible in the sense that after a certain date you can't get a copy of that version of the operating system.

Andrea

Hello KC,

I am happy to read that you have survived the prolonged disastrous weather in the Carolinas.

If you have an old backup, on a computer or in the cloud, you could restore the original settings and use the backup to return to your favorite apps. However, you might not be able to add apps which have updated for the new IOS. Eventually, your iPad may be obsolete.

At least, I think that is what you can do.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

One of the ten commandments of computing should be "Back Up!"
Yeah, except mobile computing kinda changed that dynamic, as did desktop browsers.

As you pointed out, a "backup" is only useful to a point if it also relies on a master cloud. So your backup may have taken place when you had Version 10.4 of Birds with Friends, but if the current version in the cloud/store is 10.6 when you restore the backup, that version gets pulled (with exceptions for your version of the operating system, in some cases).

It's more of a crap shoot than I'd prefer, but such seems to be the way of mobile computing (and auto-updating desktop browsers). At least my desktop computer is backed-up regularly and I never auto-update the operating system.

"Desktop computing" is slowly becoming an anachronism, so the future aught to be interesting...

Yeah, except mobile computing kinda changed that dynamic, as did desktop browsers.

As you pointed out, a "backup" is only useful to a point if it also relies on a master cloud. So your backup may have taken place when you had Version 10.4 of Birds with Friends, but if the current version in the cloud/store is 10.6 when you restore the backup, that version gets pulled (with exceptions for your version of the operating system, in some cases).

It's more of a crap shoot than I'd prefer, but such seems to be the way of mobile computing (and auto-updating desktop browsers). At least my desktop computer is backed-up regularly and I never auto-update the operating system.

"Desktop computing" is slowly becoming an anachronism, so the future aught to be interesting...

Hello Calvin,

I do not have a smart 'phone but I do have both an iPod Touch and an iPad, which I regularly backup to a home computer, which in turn is backed up monthly to Time Machine. Some items, bank payments, personal business correspondence and some photos, do go right to the cloud,

I am an OAP who sees little point of being always connected.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back