Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Call; Panjin, Liaoning, China

Old Monday 29th June 2020, 07:40   #1
Owen Krout
BF Supporter 2020

Call; Panjin, Liaoning, China

At an isolated pond Dawa County, Panjin, Liaoning, China. This morning, June 29 at Noon.

It is heavily overgrown around the pond and it is itself walled and gated off, so difficult to investigate, but whistling the call myself, I was able to stir up a couple of Yellow Bittern. Black-Crowned Night Heron were also present, but I have never heard any call like this and both are common. Little Grebe and Eastern Spot Billed Duck are also found on it.

No visual on any bird actually calling, but did get this audio. Anybody know what this one is?

Thanks for the help
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 MVI_7053.mp3 (915.4 KB, 25 views)

"You can depend upon the Americans to do the right thing. But only after they have exhausted every other possibility." Winston Churchill

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 29th June 2020, 09:18   #2
Grahame Walbridge

It's an Indian Cuckoo Owen.

Grahame
Old Monday 29th June 2020, 10:03   #3
Owen Krout
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahame Walbridge View Post
It's an Indian Cuckoo Owen.

Grahame
Oh, wonderful! That is a lifer for me! Now to return and get some top notch photos. Probably were hidden in the trees where I did spot a female Black-Crowned Night Heron, which probably has a nest.

"You can depend upon the Americans to do the right thing. But only after they have exhausted every other possibility." Winston Churchill

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 29th June 2020, 21:47   #4
Jeff hopkins

They're a bugger to see. I've heard dozens, but only seen one.

Good luck.
Old Tuesday 30th June 2020, 01:48   #5
johnallcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff hopkins View Post
They're a bugger to see. I've heard dozens, but only seen one.

Good luck.
Interesting - I find them one of the easiest cuckoos to see here in Hong Kong, because they live in open areas and often sing in flight. Not like Large Hawk Cuckoo or, especially, Hodgson's Hawk Cuckoo, where you can be right under the tree they're in and still not see them.
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 01:35   #6
Jeff hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnallcock View Post
Interesting - I find them one of the easiest cuckoos to see here in Hong Kong, because they live in open areas and often sing in flight. Not like Large Hawk Cuckoo or, especially, Hodgson's Hawk Cuckoo, where you can be right under the tree they're in and still not see them.
Well, to be fair, my experience birding in Asia is mostly squeezing in birding around business trips, so I don't get the full immersion experience of a resident. But I agree, Large Hawk-cuckoo is even worse.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: