• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help identify this bird (song) please (1 Viewer)

Windsongs

Hello o:) I’m wondering if anyone can identify this bird via one of its songs I recorded this morning. For the past many months, it is out there every morning (sometimes it starts singing as early as 4:30 am) and most of the afternoon. It’s songs can change after maybe every 7-15 repetitions. It’s quite loud and lovely. I know nothing about birding but have always loved them. This little songstress is in one of the trees here in my apartment complex parking lot but I haven’t seen it yet. I’m in the mountains of western N.C. near the Blue ridge parkway, lots of National Forest and wildlife around.

From the little research I did, I think it might be a sparrow of some kind? Not sure but would love to know. It’s songs bring a smile to my face. They can be very complex and lively and always pretty with the trills, blips and....Like, blowing raspberries lol - very varied little tunes. I’ll upload the one from this morning but will try to catch it again on a morning when it is really going strong and wild. The recording here wasn’t the prettiest I’ve heard, but think it will show what I mean.

(To me it sounds like it’s working out a new song variation [though I have no idea] Usually there is not that much time between each of its songs. Best part starts at 1:40)

Thank you!

Attachments

• Bird July 3rd.mp3
    2.7 MB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Thank you SO much, The Bird Nuts!! Really appreciate your help!! I was just listening and reading up on the song sparrow more since your reply and yes, that’s exactly what she/he is! I’m SO glad to know for sure now. I just love this bird’s songs! Having grown up in New England, as a kid, I remember hearing a whole lot of crows and groaning being woken up to them. Here in the Appalachian mountains I’ve heard the most beautiful birdsongs that sometimes stop me in my tracks and I want to get better at identifying them.

Earlier I was trying to remember a book I picked up a number of years ago but no longer have and couldnt remember the title....after a few google searches, I found it. I think I let someone borrow it before I read it completely. Just thought I’d share here, with this being a birders site, it might be of interest. It’s called:

The Healing Wisdom of Birds: An Everyday Guide to Their Spiritual Songs & Symbolism
By Lesley Morrison

I’m going to order the Kindle version of it since I’ve had some, what I consider spiritual or extraordinary encounters with birds throughout my life and feel a strong connection with them, though really havent explored it very much. Maybe I’ll share my hummingbird experience here if there is a forum for that type of thing. I’ll have to look. :)

Have been reading the spiritual / totem/ animal message meaning of Sparrow now online and I resonate to it.

A sparrow’s song is probably birding 101, as I’ve read sparrows are so common, but I wouldnt know. I feel lucky to have one that sings such pretty songs as such a close neighbor, there singing every morning. As a painter, I’ve just been looking at sparrow photos on google, I’m now feeling inspired to start painting some birds too. I’ll start with the song sparrow. ;)

Thanks again for your help! I’m sure I’ll be back!

Thank you all so much!

The Bird Nuts, Oh wow, How cool !! - a fellow artist here? ! Glad to meet you :) I’d love to see your work as well! I noticed a forum for that type of thing here and will have to explore it more now. What mediums do you work in? Do you work very realistically / detailed or more expressive? For the past decade or so, I’ve been more focused on expressive, loose work (often in water media)...trying to capture a spirit or essence, Lots of glazing and veiling...although I can draw anything realistically quite well, I’ve sort of shifted away from that style of work. Although I appreciate all kinds of work, for me, over time...painting too hyper-realistically became a chore and a bore. I’m feeling like with my sparrow painting, I might try and do a mix of semi-realistic mixed in with the washy, more loose abstract.....tricky combo, sometimes to weave together. Anyway yeah, maybe I’ll share something here. Happy painting to you as well. Thank you & Cheers Xo

KC Foggin, thanks so much! Yes, that’s my girl (boy?) - the one singing out there every day. :) I might be biased but out of all the song sparrow songs I’ve heard online, I think “mine” is the prettiest (suddenly it’s my pet, or winged child LOL ;) My little darling ). The ones online dont do mine justice. Thanks for the youtube vid. Funny, I thought I heard an owl in the background and almost paused the video because I thought it was coming from outside here. Then a commenter said they loved the Mourning Dove in the background and I realized how terrible I am at identifiying bird sounds. Lol I recognized that one though (the background one) only as one I would hear often up north. Thanks again. :)

Grebe or Grackle, thank you for almost sending me on an hours long complicated Google search. Lol. I’m going to accept mine as a Song Sparrow, because it really does sound like one to me too. I think The Bird Nuts is right, but I appreciate your 2 cents :) !!!

Hope you’ve all had a nice holiday weekend.
Bye for now...
��

Last edited:
I mainly do photorealism in acrylics, but I also like to experiment with different media and styles to keep myself interested. I recently started using watercolor and I love it. Maybe I'll post some of my paintings in the Wildlife Art forum.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back