• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Just fancy that... Sabine's Gull in Yorkshire (1 Viewer)

Rob Smallwood

I note with some amusement the record of an adult Sabine's Gull, coming to bread on a canal in inland Yorkshire so soon after an article in British Birds where an old record of a bird shot has been rejected in part because of the likelihood of a summer inland record!

The reasons for rejection went deeper than that I know - but it just goes to show that you should never say never?

Rob Smallwood said:
but it just goes to show that you should never say never?

Well, you *should* never say never, but I think the old record you are referring to is the Ross's Gull recently rejected as one of the Tadcaster rarities, primarily cos the taxidermist involved was a crook. Admittedly being in an inland gull flock didn't help, but even Ross's Gulls can do that occasionally.

Rob Smallwood said:
- but it just goes to show that you should never say never?

Even though the site, and indeed the area is very industrial, it is incredibly productive for birds. This is because it is on one of the main migration routes in the country - from the Humber over to the Ribble. Fairburn Ings / Swillington Ings etc are only a couple of miles away and these sites encourage many birds to hang around. This one has just chosen somewhere a little less salubrious! I grew up around there and can just imagine all the local birders rushing to buy Mothers Pride as I write.

Darrell

Dipped on it last night by 5 minutes, arriving there at 6:10, it having just flown off at 6:02. Driving rain for the next two hours resulted in us leaving at 8 o'clock, luckily it was on our way back south from Durham, so wasn't a twitch. Continual reports of it today are a bit frustrating though, bet it's a cracking bird!

Eagerly awaiting some pics, although i will be incredibly envious!

Dan

Two cracking pictures on Surfbirds - but I don't think that they are of a Sabine's?

There is no rain lashing down, no north-westerly gale shaking the tripod and it isn't a mile out to sea!!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back