• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for long lost birding pals (1 Viewer)

Larry Sweetland

Formerly 'Larry Wheatland'
Hi all,

I've just discovered Bird Forum and have been out of touch with the birding scene in general for a decade or so, although I've still keenly birded independently wherever I've travelled to. It would be nice to catch up with some of the folks I used to go birding with and find out what they've been up to. I'd love to hear from Dave Curson, Adrian Long, Paul Batchelor, Gavin Haig, Arun Bose,. Roger Safford or Kevin Wilson from the UK if any of you are reading this, or from David Fixx or Rob Hewit from the US. I'd be greatful if anyone else reading this who knows these guys passes on the message .

Yours hopefully, Larry Wheatland

Try putting their names into Google search engine - you'd be surprised how many long-lost contacts can be found this way.

Oh, and I believe Ade Long is birding in Cambs - he found either an American or a Pacific Golden Plover up there a couple of years ago (forget which).

Edit: after a quick Google search, it appears he's working for Birdlife International based just outside Cmbridge... Head of Communications (assuming it's the same guy)

Wow ! Thanks. I guess a PM is a personnal message. I gather you can't leave your email addresses for people on Bird Forum so I'm not quite sure what to do from here.

Larry Wheatland said:
Wow ! Thanks. I guess a PM is a personnal message. I gather you can't leave your email addresses for people on Bird Forum so I'm not quite sure what to do from here.

Send a pm to your friend Gavin and include your e-mail there!!Then he can contact you...which he clearlt wants too!! No trouble!!

Click on Gavins name and you can send a pm!!

Larry Wheatland said:
Hi all,

I've just discovered Bird Forum and have been out of touch with the birding scene in general for a decade or so, although I've still keenly birded independently wherever I've travelled to. It would be nice to catch up with some of the folks I used to go birding with and find out what they've been up to. I'd love to hear from Dave Curson, Adrian Long, Paul Batchelor, Gavin Haig, Arun Bose,. Roger Safford or Kevin Wilson from the UK if any of you are reading this, or from David Fixx or Rob Hewit from the US. I'd be greatful if anyone else reading this who knows these guys passes on the message .

Yours hopefully, Larry Wheatland

Larry, your name seems mighty familiar! Were you at Portland when the Little Whimbrel turned up on S Wales? I remember a chap called Will Duckworth from Bristol at that time - he went to Borneo soon after. Failing that, did you meet a guy called Chris Chapleo many years ago at Beaulieu Road in the New Forest?

Apologies if I'm wrong. Just feeling all nostalgic - Pink Floyd on BBC2 made me cast my mind back.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back