• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

One little side-step: Monsieur Canivet in Canivet's Emerald Chlorostilbon canivetii … (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Here´s a little bonus that I accidently happened to stumble upon when I tried to follow the trail of Monsieur Pesquet (see thread The mysterious Monsieur ... ) in a possible connection to a certain mentioned "M. Canivet" (in the assumption, or long-shot, that he was either a friend, colleague or acquaintance, hopefully being equal to the Emmanuel Canivet in "canivetii" (in HBW Alive) … and there he was! Mr. Canivet … another almost unknown man, as in:

● Canivet's Emerald Chlorostilbon canivetii LESSON 1832 a k a "Fork-tailed Emerald" or "Canivet's Fork-tailed Emerald"
= The French (taxidermist alt. conservator) Emmanuel Jacques Canivet (1796–1849), from Carentan.

He was apparently born 4 May 1796, in Carentan (a small rural town, in the Region Basse-Normandie, Normandy), North-western France (74 km West of Pesquet's Caen), son of Jacques François Louis CANIVET (1764–1808), and Anne Françoise ADDE (1755–1823) … later in life he worked as "Préparateur au musée communal" (at the local Museum) in Mons, Belgium … where he died the 11 December 1849 – at the age of 53.

See link to LA GRANDE FAMILLE CANIVET written by one of his relatives! No rock-solid proof, but I think the author, "C. Canivet", know the subject. Also compare with the link to Geneanet.

I think it´s fairly safe to say: One mysterious eponym less!

PS. Even if it didn´t take me any further regarding mr. Pesquet.

Last edited:
Birth record (Carentan, An IV, E26) here p. 64/207 at 16 Floréal IV (so maybe born 5. May 1796 if I did not miss a hier).

Last edited:
Birth record (Carentan, An IV, E26) here p. 64/207 at 16 Floréal IV (so may born 5. May 1796 if I did not miss a hier).

This part of the text is not easily readable, but I think it says, indeed, "[...] la citoyenne Anne Ade âgée de trente-six ans, son épouse légitime est accouchée de hier au midy, en son domicile Rue de lisle, d'un enfant mâle qu'il m'a représenté et auquel il a donné les prénoms de Emanuél [sic] Jacques [...]".

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back