• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Getting a Celestron ultima80, but which tripod? :/ (1 Viewer)

Chilt

So I’ve been looking quite a bit at tripods and I have around £50-60 to spend on one! I’ve seen one call the zomei q666 which is £53 and seems decent quality for the price but it’s ball head, will a ball head be okay as a beginner and the fact my scope won’t be massive and heavy? Any recommendations on a decent but withinmy budget tripod and head?

Thanks

Chilt

A Velbon sherpa would be the best bet within that budget, can't say I've ever heard of Zomei. With a large 80mm its a good idea not to scrimp on the support, as a cheap tripod won't offer sufficient dampening and as a result you won't be getting the best out of your scope. If you don't mind the weight, a used manfrotto is another option in that price range and should provide a good level of support.

A Velbon sherpa would be the best bet within that budget, can't say I've ever heard of Zomei. With a large 80mm its a good idea not to scrimp on the support, as a cheap tripod won't offer sufficient dampening and as a result you won't be getting the best out of your scope. If you don't mind the weight, a used manfrotto is another option in that price range and should provide a good level of support.

The Velbon on Amazon is coming in at £91 which I can’t afford :( I use to have a manfrotto years ago but sold all my gear :(

A ball head with an 80mm is definitely not recommended! Here are a few good options within your price range; velbon sherpa, Slik able, Slik D3 and a slight old fashioned but probably stable Cullmann or even this RSPB tripod. Also worth keeping an eye on London Camera Exchange etc for a good used option.

I’ve heard a lot of people mentioning velbon! So I may just go with them! Cause the amazon reviews ain’t amazing but those people are getting them
For a DSLR camera! So gunna go and do my research now :)

Thanks for all the help and still welcome for feedback

Chilt

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back