• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandwell Valley (3 Viewers)

Four and a half hours down the Valley today but away from the open water very little about.
Covered much of Salters up as far as Sots Hole and the paddocks. Good numbers of Chaffinches and Goldfinches with 20+ Redwings around the paddocks.
256 Coot on Swan pool. No sign of the Yellow legged Gull early on.

Hybrid gull and Oystercatcher still on FML.

Had a very good day at the rspb Sandwell valley today from 7.20 - 15.45 and picked up over 50 species highlights

Red Legged Partridge in pet cem.
Yellow legged gull - swan pool up close to island with a LBBG
Gadwall 30+
wigeon 15
Little egret 12+
Common Gull
Hybrid gull x1
Mistle Thrush
all on Swan Pool

2 Male Pheasants opposite the entrance to Forge Mill farm just behind the metal gate

Oystercatcher x1
Pintail in the corner of the F/M POOL down by the railway track end
Peregrine Falcon on mast's by F/M farm

Willow tit on feeders by visitor centre
Coal tit on feeders by visitor centre.

Snipe opposite hide in reeds under bank.
Buzzard under attack by Carrion crow over visitor centre.

Didn't see any Redpoll, Brambling or Siskin so will have to return to catch up with them.

Complete list of species seen today -

Magpie, Lesser black backed gull, Carrion crow, Jackdaw, Wood pigeon, Rook, Blackbird, Robin, Raven, Red legged partridge, Great tit, Dunnock, Black headed gull, Hybrid gull, Redwing, Fieldfare, Mallard, Pheasant, Mistle thrush, Moorhen, Canada goose, Goldfinch, Song thrush, Coot, Tufted duck, Little grebe, Gadwall, Mute swan, Great crested grebe, Goldeneye, Wigeon, Ring necked parakeet, Teal, Yellow legged gull, Wren, Chaffinch, Common gull, House sparrow, Long tailed tit, Blue tit, Peregrine falcon, Goosander, Oystercatcher, Grey heron, Bullfinch, Greenfinch, Feral Pigeon, Coal tit, Buzzard, Pied wagtail, Lapwing, Common snipe, Grey wagtail, Sparrowhawk, Pochard, Starling, Willow tit & Reed bunting. 57 species for year list & 2 hybrid or feral species

Little Egret 12+ where did you have them were the Pheasants in the maize field?
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
Sorry mis-type should have been Little Grebe the Pheasant were in the field opposite the entrance to the construction site at forge mill farm to the left of the farm on the opposite side of the road by the metal gates about 20ft apart looked to see if I could see any females but none seen.

Or as you walk from the Pet Crem they would be on the right hand side.

Is the Caspian and the hybrid one and the same bird?

Hi Phil, it is the same bird. I think the opinion is that it is a Caspian Gull even though the greater covert pattern appears to be an anomaly on what I was taught to look for. When I first viewed the photos, it was this reason for me labeling it as a hybrid. Talking to some very respected Gull gurus, people are getting more lenient on what is classified as a Caspian these days. So where do you draw the line between pure and hybrid? There is no denying the Sandwell bird is a beauty. The more recent photo of it standing shows it off nicely.

Cheers Steve

Hi Phil, it is the same bird. I think the opinion is that it is a Caspian Gull even though the greater covert pattern appears to be an anomaly on what I was taught to look for. When I first viewed the photos, it was this reason for me labeling it as a hybrid. Talking to some very respected Gull gurus, people are getting more lenient on what is classified as a Caspian these days. So where do you draw the line between pure and hybrid? There is no denying the Sandwell bird is a beauty. The more recent photo of it standing shows it off nicely.

Cheers Steve

Nice one Steve :t:
Good Birding YAMYAM

League Table 17/01/19
Steve Lilly adds Shelduck to his Valley List

01. Pete Hackett 212 Red Throated Diver
02. Dave Saunders 210 Great White Egret
03. Tim Hextell 202 Red Throated Diver
04. Matt Hadlington 195 Great white Egret
05. Mel Jones 186 Hawfinch
06. Pete Forbes 180 Little Egret
07. Hughie King 178 Wood Sandpiper
08. John Clarke 174 Great White Egret
09. Dave Waite 173 Red Kite
10. Dave Jackson 173 Yellow Legged Gull
11. Simon Edwards 172 Ruff
12. Terry Parker 171 Common Scoter
13. Steve Lilly 162 Shelduck
14. Pete Carless 159 Black Redstart
15. Tracy Saunders 156 Ring Necked Parakeet,
16. Mike Ixer 152 Red Legged Partridge
17. Steve Roper 145 Great white egret
18. Craig Reed 135 Tawny Owl
19. Richard Eyres 133 Garganey
20. Bob Slater 125 Great Northern Diver
21. Carl seabode 123 Garganey
22. Andy Thomas 121 Mandarin
23. Richard Davis 118 Garganey
24. Matt Gibbs 112 Green Sandpiper
25. Jason Davis 112 Wood Sandpiper
26. Wali Taylor 111 Red Legged Partridge
27. Kev Wardlaw 97 Garganey

Good Birding YAMYAM

League Table 17/01/19
Caspian Gull added to several Valley Lists

01. Pete Hackett 213 Caspian Gull
02. Dave Saunders 211 Caspian Gull
03. Tim Hextell 202 Red Throated Diver
04. Matt Hadlington 196 Caspian Gull
05. Mel Jones 186 Hawfinch
06. Pete Forbes 180 Little Egret
07. Hughie King 179 Caspian Gull
08. John Clarke 175 Caspian Gull
09. Dave Waite 173 Red Kite
10. Dave Jackson 173 Yellow Legged Gull
11. Simon Edwards 172 Ruff
12. Terry Parker 171 Common Scoter
13. Steve Lilly 162 Shelduck
14. Pete Carless 159 Black Redstart
15. Tracy Saunders 156 Ring Necked Parakeet,
16. Mike Ixer 153 Caspian Gull
17. Steve Roper 146 Caspian Gull
18. Craig Reed 135 Tawny Owl
19. Richard Eyres 133 Garganey
20. Bob Slater 125 Great Northern Diver
21. Carl seabode 123 Garganey
22. Andy Thomas 121 Mandarin
23. Richard Davis 118 Garganey
24. Matt Gibbs 112 Green Sandpiper
25. Jason Davis 112 Wood Sandpiper
26. Wali Taylor 111 Red Legged Partridge
27. Kev Wardlaw 97 Garganey

Good Birding YAMYAM

After Mike's Caspian Gull prediction coming True here we go again with Mike's new prediction and Steve Roper predicting Great Skua

Myself :- Cattle Egret
Matt Hadlington:- Red Rumped Swallow
Simon Edwards:- *Red Necked Phalarope
Dave Waite:- Bearded Tit
Steve Lilly:- Black Winged Stilt
Tim Hextell:- White Winged Black Tern
John Clarke:- Bee- Eater
Pete Hackett:- Night Heron
Andy Purcell :- Common Crane
Rob Preston:- Black-throated Diver
Mike Ixer:- Woodchat Shrike
Steve Roper:- Great Skua

*Red Necked Phalarope listed in Birds of Sandwell Valley but placed in square brackets a bird shot in Handsworth in August 1887 may have been in the recording area

Good Birding YAMYAM

Pete Carless also predicted Caspian Gull for the next Valley first so here's to you Pete see what else you can send us :t:
Good Birding YAMYAM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back