• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss USA service report (1 Viewer)

marcsantacurz

Back in August I bought some 7x42 bga t*p on auction. The optics were very nice but the focuser was uneven and the hinge stiff in places. It looked like a fair bit of sand and other crud had built up over the years.

I sent them in to Zeiss USA for cleaning, and Zeiss received them on Oct 10. It took a while, but they finally shipped them back on Nov 5 and I got them in my hands Nov 9 (East coast to West coast shipping). They cleaned, adjusted, lubed, aligned, and replaced the eye cups. They even included a little microfiber lens cloth. No charge!

The focus and hinges are now nice and smooth. The diopter adjustment is maybe even a little too loose, but it is easy to get it setup and does not slip.

Summary: Cannot argue with free service, and I am very happy with the results. Though it did take 3.5 weeks, plus shipping.

Marc

Great report.

I have to share that I called Zeiss with a warranty question yesterday morning. They were not open yet and I did not leave a message, thinking I'd just call them back later in the day. Well, much to my surprise, I got a phone call from someone in the NY office who saw my number on the call record. They called to ask if there was anything they could do for me, and the same gentleman who called was able to answer my warranty question.

Now that's what I call good old fashioned customer service, and I wasn't even a customer yet!

Now that I have my Conquest HD's, I think Zeiss may have a customer for life now.

For some reason my 8x42 Victory HT, which were fine, all of a sudden suffered from collimation error. I sent them to Zeiss USA and they were serviced and sent back in a timely manner. There was also good tracking of the product from receipt at their service center to notification of the return shipment.

Back in August I bought some 7x42 bga t*p on auction. The optics were very nice but the focuser was uneven and the hinge stiff in places. It looked like a fair bit of sand and other crud had built up over the years.

I sent them in to Zeiss USA for cleaning, and Zeiss received them on Oct 10. It took a while, but they finally shipped them back on Nov 5 and I got them in my hands Nov 9 (East coast to West coast shipping). They cleaned, adjusted, lubed, aligned, and replaced the eye cups. They even included a little microfiber lens cloth. No charge!

The focus and hinges are now nice and smooth. The diopter adjustment is maybe even a little too loose, but it is easy to get it setup and does not slip.

Summary: Cannot argue with free service, and I am very happy with the results. Though it did take 3.5 weeks, plus shipping.

Marc

3.5 weeks sounds incredibly swift for any sort of bino servicing, IMO.

I sent in my 8X42 FL for a lag in the focus travel, now bar in mind this was very minor. Zeiss USA stated that since the operation was within factory spec, if I wanted to send them in to re-do the focus it would cost me, I said OK. Just got them back today and the focus is more firm - my preference, and no more slight lag. They even sent me some additional lens covers with a strap and cleaning cloth.
I am very pleased that they will still service the older glass, kudos to Zeiss.

I hate any lag in a focus wheel on a glass.

Andy W.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back