• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Victory 10X56B T*P* vs modern mid-price glass (1 Viewer)

CPShines

Hi all. I have joined the forum as I'm in the market for some used binos under £1000 and everyone here seems to have experience far beyond mine. I have the chance to pickup a pair of Zeiss 10X56B T*P* made in 2000, but I'm concerned with the comments here about them not being as good as the older or newer Zeiss offerings.

If I were to buy new, I would be looking at something like the Vortex Viper 10x50HD or the higher end Meoptas. Do you think these Zeiss would trump those in terms of overall image quality and low light performance?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Even though the ones your interested in are a later version, as etudiant states the focus wheel is almost hidden within the bridge hinge surface, so using them with a winter glove can be tricky. Wonderful light gathering optics but heavy and bulky indeed.

I would admit I was always a fan of the Night Owls and nearly bought a green 8 x 56 for low light use but the weight put me off. I remember well why it was a favourite for those studying animal behaviour at dusk......deer, badgers and birds going to roost or just setting out - woodcock, nightjar and owls ( hence the name ).

P

Last edited:
Thanks for the information Etudiant, much appreciated. The binos that I am looking at are actually a later version than the Nightowl ones in that Flickr discussion. The ones I am looking at are from this range:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/21Z4CHEP06L.jpg

Do you know if the same criticisms apply to this later range?

Those are Carl Zeiss Victory 10x56 B T* binoculars. They were made between 2000 and 2005.

https://www.allbinos.com/78-Carl_Zeiss_Victory_10x56_B_T*-binoculars_specifications.html

They were upgraded in 2006 with the Carl Zeiss Victory 10x56 T* FL which was discontinued in 2014.

https://www.allbinos.com/708-Carl_Zeiss_Victory_10x56_T*_FL-binoculars_specifications.html

Bob

The 10x56mm Victory was not as heavy as the Nightowls at 1200 grams, but as you can see in the photo, it retained the un-ergonomic recessed focusing wheel. Optics were completely different. I never saw a pair, but I did read complaints about the image quality, particularly excessive chromatic aberration. It's definately a binocular you would want to try before buying.

If you can find one in your price range I think the 10x56 Victory FL would likely be a big improvement over the original Victory, unsurpassed by anything newer except perhaps the current Swarovski 10x56 SLC.

The Meoptas are probably worth a look if you can find a store near you to test a pair, very highly thought of. And a new pair comes with a full UK warranty.
Don't rush into it. Please try out a few pairs first.
P

The Meoptas are probably worth a look if you can find a store near you to test a pair, very highly thought of. And a new pair comes with a full UK warranty.

That's my advice as well. The Meoptas are definitely worth a look and quite close to the current alphas.

Hermann

Last edited:
Don't rush into it. Please try out a few pairs first.
P

That's my advice as well. The Meoptas are definitely worth a look and quite close to the current alphas.

Hermann

Thanks for the steer. I think as they are fairly new I don't see many used Meoptas for sale. As I am looking to spend no more than £600 I would need to get something new in the MeoPro range - something like the MeoPro HD 8x56. Are the MeoPro as highly rated for the price as the more expensive ranges? The most likely alternative for me would be the Vortex Viper HD 10x50.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back