• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Carl Zeiss 20x60- Question (1 Viewer)

gattobirder

I ordered a pair of 20x60 Image Stabilized binoculars for a customer; they should arrive in the next week or so. I have heard that they are not as robust as other Zeiss models. Do any of you all have any experience with them?

Hi,

I haven't heard about many problems with these bins with correct use - of the two and a half birders I meet from time to time who own and use these - two binos and one with a 20x60S monocular - I think the mono once needed stabilizer repair after a severe shock, but of course you can as easily break or knock out of collimation a normal pair of bins...

What seems to be a fact is that they only come with a 5y warranty and if sth breaks afterwards, repairs will be expensive... very expensive.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/298432-opinions-on-zeiss-20x60-image-stabilized-binos/?p=3806663

Joachim

Because of the more complicated design I think they should be treated with more respect than a standard binocular.
The fact that the button has to be held down is a nuisance, and for many that means that basically the binocular is supported with one hand.
One needs to be strong if using it for an extended period at one time.

A point of concern is how long the magnet/s last at full operational strength. I don't know the answer to that.

However, for resolution, I don't think that any hand held binocular can equal one.

As to repair costs, I suppose that as a percentage of the new price, there won't be much difference compared to another binocular.

The Canon IS binoculars have only a one or two year guarantee, I think.

One could take out a complete accident and repair insurance, but in my experience insurers try very hard not to pay, or find exclusions, unless one deals with a very top end insurer.

P.S.
The resolution was 6.5 arcseconds, compared to 8.5 arcseconds for the Canon 18x50IS, using double stars, so the comment about just 2x extra magnification is by someone who hasn't used both.
I see no point in tripod mounting binoculars for my type of binocular viewing.

If one buys a hand held IS binocular, the whole point is to dispense with a tripod.

I used a Japanese 20x80 Porro and a Soviet 20x60 specially hand made selected binocular for over a decade.
These were used hand held, but mostly braced on anything available.
But I was younger and stronger then.
Even now I have no trouble hand holding cheap 15x70s, although they are not robust, and may break if one coughs too much. :)

Last edited:
There is one niche where the 20x60S can really excel and this is how I have seen it being used:

A very regular seawatcher on the wooden pier in Ostend used it all the time while seawachting, on a tripod, with a big G-clip to keep the stabilizer working all the time without having to touch the bin.

So he could watch for hours, on a pier with lots of vibration because of the waves, without pushing on the stabilizer button. And the view was awesome. Anyone doing seawatching with hard winds (the kind of circumstances where you see most good seabirds) could, in this way, benefit from a 20x60S.

From what I've heard, the stabiliser is somewhat fragile. Mainly problems have come from bumps and knocks during transportation, rather than use. I believe Zeiss provides instructions on handling, and these should be taken seriously.

As for the stabilisation button, some users have taken to viewing with the binocular upside-down, whereby the weight of the binocular helps press down the button. Of course, this requires setting the diopter anew, as left and right eyepieces are reversed, but should work fine.

Kimmo

Hi,

one should avoid knocks (even light ones) at all costs with the stabilisation enabled - I would thus not recommend to have a pair on a tripod with the stabilisation permanently engaged in windy conditions... at least not without making quite sure that the tripod cannot be knocked over by whatever...

Transport damage is also usually caused by something (like case padding or whatever) pressing the stabilisation button during transport.

Regarding using the bins upside down - haven't tried that - but the stabilisation gets less effective when looking up while stargazing.

Joachim

I ordered a pair of 20x60 Image Stabilized binoculars for a customer; they should arrive in the next week or so. I have heard that they are not as robust as other Zeiss models. Do any of you all have any experience with them?

Hi Mate
I have the Zeiss 20 x 60 purchased new last year. In fact it was made only after I placed the order as the dealer did not have it in stock. In enquired with Zeiss about the construction. It's lower half has a strong aluminium base and the upper half is
some special plastic . Yes it does have a light plasticky feel to it . The design has not changed in 30 years and I guess it was made that way to reduce weight . If its new than nothing much to worry as its made with great care and also comes with a vibration test report .I have not seen any reports of new ones with the first owners needing any repair. It should function well for a lifetime with just the recommended care.
Cheers
Vaidya

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back