• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

FRETHERNE, Glos. (1 Viewer)

Ian Byrnes

FRETHERNE....only my 3rd visit yesterday.....weather and scenery beautiful ....tide high at 9 am.

Managed to see one of the Little Owls and a bonus...appeared to be a Black Redstart (not 100% sure ...grainy photo below) plus moulting Common Redstart. Hundreds of Gulls, a good number of Shelduck floating with the tide and 5 Barnacle Geese in far distance. 3 Herons and 3 Little Egrets at Saul side of River Severn plus again numerous Gulls.

Plus....from 2 weeks ago Curlew and Shelducks.

Excuse photos...some heat haze affected scope and others long distance.

imgonline-com-ua-resize-RoI6KCxGecoJ.jpg imgonline-com-ua-resize-yuyzEMEwJ1mCs.jpg imgonline-com-ua-resize-WAwm4b53ntp1G.jpg imgonline-com-ua-resize-cfYHGIIMMU.jpg imgonline-com-ua-resize-y3wQ8PMYFAuFLfQr.jpg

Looks fine for a BR to me but i’m no..........;)

This might have a few pointers:t:

https://www.birdguides.com/articles/identification/common-and-black-redstarts/

The Gulls sound worth checking out as numbers are building at the sites i go to.

Good birding -

Laurie:t:

Thanks Laurie

Ideal location for BR ....semi coastal, rocky promentaries and coastal plain.

Gulls and waders worth checking....only short distance from Slimbridge. Better at low tide. Must have been 50 Curlews 2 weeks ago but hard to see everything due to the width of the upper estuary.

(Got some more shots of Peregrine this morning down from Bewdley...will post on Worcs birds).

Last edited:
Yesterday....FRETHERNE just as tide was rising.

Weather good again. Breath taking scenery...superb wader habitat with great surrounding lowlands.

About 10 Avocets, 9 Black Tailed Godwit, Shelduck & numerous Plovers and Gulls all at a distance.

Poor pic........BT Godwits

imgonline-com-ua-resize-vF7BmgZFPadNvr.jpg

Another mild beautiful early morning at Fretherne, near Saul Warth, Glos.

Very fortunate to see the whole Little Owl family taking advantage of the warm rays in the meadow along with numerous Curlews, Shelduck, BT Godwit, Gulls, Little Egret, & Herons on the estuary. Big flocks of Goldfinch on the flood plain along with Swallows, Skylark and Meadow Pipit. Several Buzzards in land.

imgonline-com-ua-resize-uZQ4xp1JJb.jpg imgonline-com-ua-resize-zjTARDmCD6EQi93Q.jpg imgonline-com-ua-resize-Aunlt8xgEsdv.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back