• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull identification in the UK (1 Viewer)

caroleanne

Can anyone recommend any id guides that will help me with gulls seen in the UK? I need quite an easy simple guide that isn't full of detailed information, preferably with good pictures?

The Collins fieldguide is sound except that the treatment of the Herring/Caspian/Yellow-legged Gulls is now not really adequate.

Steve

Can anyone recommend any id guides that will help me with gulls seen in the UK? I need quite an easy simple guide that isn't full of detailed information, preferably with good pictures?

I suggest taking along any of the Seaforth gull experts with you!8-P

The Collins fieldguide is sound except that the treatment of the Herring/Caspian/Yellow-legged Gulls is now not really adequate.

Steve

I remember reading somewhere (maybe on this forum) that the new edition of Collins - out soon I think - deals with some of the gull issues.

Perry

The Macmillan Field Guide to Bird Identification is excellent but tough to get hold of a copy as it is out of print - stupid prices on the second hand book sites.

Yes, Ive seen the Macmillan ones and also the ones on Amazon, but there over £40 and thats a bit expensive for me at the moment. What would be ideal is if someone knows of a layout a bit like the FSC field guides, with the good comparison pictures?

The best guide money can buy is.
GULLS
Of Europe-Asia-&-North-America.
By
Klaus Malling Olsen. & Hans Larsson. The best 45 quid you will ever spend.

The best guide money can buy is.
GULLS
Of Europe-Asia-&-North-America.
By
Klaus Malling Olsen. & Hans Larsson. The best 45 quid you will ever spend.

Pauco,
Excellent as it is, I'd hardly put Olsen and Larsson in the "easy simple guide that isn't full of detailed information" category!

Pauco,
Excellent as it is, I'd hardly put Olsen and Larsson in the "easy simple guide that isn't full of detailed information" category!

Nothing worth learning is easy! you get what you pay for. As the saying goes. "You reap what you sow" ;)

The Olsen and larsson book is certianly to much for a novice, it could lead to some mis-ids, as alot of species look almost the same to the un-trained eye. Its great once you sust the commoner species and want to learn more.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I went onto the website suggested and to be honest was a bit overwhelmed. I'm an ecologist bird surveyor who has to be able to id everything i see, literally. For example the different gull species seen in a large flock of 1000+ strong flying over a rubbish dump. Just an id guide with good clear pictures and a simple description. I'm not at the stage yet to id all the minor differences between the plumage years and had no idea there were colour charts to id the different shades of grey in a gulls wing!. but would like to know just the more commoner species and work upwards.

Caroleanne

The trouble is, gulls ARE difficult, and the plumage differences between ages are important, so what you're looking for doesn't really exist. But yes, the "Collins Bird Guide", by Killian Mullarney, Lars Svensson, Dan Zetterstrom and Peter J Grant, is the best place to start.

Dave

The other good way of getting to grips with the unfamiliar is a bit of personal coaching ie go out with someone who knows their gulls. Sorting out the diff sizes and colours etc of the common ones wouldn't take too long at all, and the young ones would follow soon after . . .

Not volunteering mind as I'm not up your way!

I have a field guide to the birds of Europe by Mullarney, Svensson, Zetterstrom and Grant and published by Princeton Field Guides.

I bought it at Borders.

The Olsen and larsson book is certianly to much for a novice, it could lead to some mis-ids, as alot of species look almost the same to the un-trained eye. Its great once you sust the commoner species and want to learn more.

I have to agree with that statement. Learning gulls requires the K.I.S.S. method at first then as you go and get better, graduate to more detailed work.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back