• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What birds did you see in your lunch break today? (1 Viewer)

Penny Clarke

Thought I would start a birding in your lunch break thread.

Birding in your hours's break, be it at work or school;)

At Mintlyn Crematorium, King's Lynn - 1.10pm-1.50pm

I have just discovered that the crematorium in King's Lynn is a stunning location for birds, with loads of very tall pines, birches and all kinds of trees and shrubs and little streams entwined throughout the memorials and is alive with birds!

8 Siskens, 4 treecreepers, 1 nuthatch, 4 goldcrests, 1 coal tit, 5 long tailed tits, blue tits, 1 great tit, 1 robin, 2 blackbirds, 2 chaffinches and 6 linnets. AND a red admiral and 2 bees!!!!!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Once found a Golden Oriole in my lunch break when i worked as a hospital gardener.The hospital that i was at was excellent for birds ,because it was on the out skirts of Sunderland and it had lots of fields and trees surrounding it.Found several nice birds during my lunch breaks.Often found Tawny Owls roosting in trees.I was watching a Green Woodpecker at lunch time today.

Last edited:
You shamed me into action today Penny. I work ten minutes' walk from Gorleston harbour-mouth but very rarely go there. Today I brought my bins into work with me and this lunchtime I walked to the end of the pier.

There were plenty of gulls wheeling about, mostly Black-headed and Common as far as I could tell. Gulls are not my strong point but there again none of my points are that strong! A boat left the harbour and as it stirred up the water even more gulls arrived to see what they could find.

The wind was very strong and it was pretty cold so, muttering about Penny Clarke and her bright ideas, I turned round to head back along the pier. Then - bingo - in front of me I spotted six beautiful Turnstones drinking from a large puddle. It was what I was hoping to see in the first place. I was able to watch them for a couple of minutes before they flew off, calling loudly.

I carried on to the model yacht pond where there were well over fifty assorted gulls washing and preening themselves in the water. Once again they appeared to be mainly Black-headed, Common and Herrings but there were a couple of Lesser Black-backed among them which were rolling completely onto their backs with their legs in the air and wriggling about to clean their feathers. Very entertaining and they all looked really pristine.

It started to spit with rain so I walked back to work and arrived wind-swept, a bit cold and damp but very much refreshed.

Good idea Penny. I shall try it again but hopefully when it's a bit less windy.

Ron

Last edited:
You shamed me into action today Penny. I work ten minutes' walk from Gorleston harbour-mouth but very rarely go there. Today I brought my bins into work with me and this lunchtime I walked to the end of the pier.

There were plenty of gulls wheeling about, mostly Black-headed and Common as far as I could tell. Gulls are not my strong point but there again none of my points are that strong! A boat left the harbour and as it stirred up the water even more gulls arrived to see what they could find.

The wind was very strong and it was pretty cold so, muttering about Penny Clarke and here bright ideas, I turned round to head back along the pier. Then - bingo - in front of me I spotted six beautiful Turnstones drinking from a large puddle. It was what I was hoping to see in the first place. I was able to watch them for a couple of minutes before they flew off, calling loudly.

I carried on to the model yacht pond where there were well over fifty assorted gulls washing and preening themselves in the water. Once again they appeared to be mainly Black-headed, Common and Herrings but there were a couple of Lesser Black-backed among them which were rolling completely onto their backs with their legs in the air and wriggling about to clean their feathers. Very entertaining and they all looked really pristine.

It started to spit with rain so I walked back to work and arrived wind-swept, a bit cold and damp but very much refreshed.

Good idea Penny. I shall try it again but hopefully when it's a bit less windy.

Ron

Hi Ron

A complete change of scene at lunchtime does you the power of good, even if it is a gale force wind;):t: The wind is what put me off going out today!!!!!!

I wasn't working as such today, but on driving home from an 'induction' to my latest job I did see a large flock of Redwings - always guaranteed to brighten up any rainy, cold winter's day!

Yesterday at work, while outside taking a break...I saw a red tailed hawk, several turkey vultures making their usual rounds...let's of pine and palm warblers...blue jays, northern mocking birds, cardinals and several American crows. Needless to say, it made for a delightful and refreshing break!

I'm very lucky my job as sales rep means i am on the road every day and tend to structure them around a good sight just around lunch time. Most of my top moments have been with a sandwich in 1 hand and bins in the other.
Best to date.
Cattle Egret
Willow Tit
King Eider
Dartford Warbler

Stu

Last edited:
Two males blackbirds having a scrap right outside my office window, one actually had the other pined to the ground at one time. Nuthatch and collared dove

For the last 6 months I've been working at Royal Holloway College in Egham. There's a decent patch of woodland on campus with Nuthatches and Great Spotted Woodpeckers. Grey Wagtails come and go in a small stream - I'm looking forward to seeing if they stay to breed. I've once seen a Siskin flock and once a soaring Buzzard.

Parakeets are a constant presence overhead.

Today I noticed a Stock Dove exiting a hole in a large beech.

James

Today I went to Bawsey in my lunchbreak. Even though its very close to King's Lynn I have never actually been there!!!! It looks fantastic there. Short turfed grass with a path following the vast pit, loads of gorse in flower, birches and pines, it was MUCH better than I imagined it to be. But does look a bit lonely if you know what I mean.

Between 1.10 and 1.50pm:

A fantastic flock in the pines of Siskens, Greenfinches, chaffinches and goldfinches - its a long time since I have seen this many finches together, some were feeding off the pines cones and some were feeding on the ground, I couldn't believe how many there were! Also jackdaws, rooks, carrion crows, jay, pied wagtail. On the water; black headed gulls, common gulls and black backed gulls, 15 canada geese, loads of greylag geese, 2 egyptian geese and moorhens and coots dabbling by the water's edge. I was having such a lovely time, I almost forgot to go back to work!!!:-O

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back