• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help With Badgers (1 Viewer)

Ridge Walker

I had a lovley lawn until one morning when I got up. It looked as someone had been there with a rotivator, The top had been dug and turned. I was told it was Badgers. How do you stop them ie. putting something on the lawn to keep them off. I don't want to resort to drastic measures. There may be just one but it keeps coming back This is now 5 nights on the trot and its getting worse. HELP! :stuck: :'D

Ridge Walker said:
I had a lovley lawn until one morning when I got up. It looked as someone had been there with a rotivator, The top had been dug and turned. I was told it was Badgers. How do you stop them ie. putting something on the lawn to keep them off. I don't want to resort to drastic measures. There may be just one but it keeps coming back This is now 5 nights on the trot and its getting worse. HELP! :stuck: :'D

Your best bet's an electric fence:

http://www.badgers.org.uk/badgerpages/eurasian-badger-61.html

You shouldn't have to use it every night - try it for a week or so and just the presence of it should keep them away. It won't hurt the badgers, just give them a nasty sting on the nose. The one you require is only low and fairly inconspicuous, explain your problem to the manufacturers and they should advise you.

Other methods are Reynardine and creosolt - but they're messy and smelly!

Hope this helps.

saluki

Are you sure it's badgers digging? I have known of badgers in my garden for over 10 years and the damage they do is limited to occasional snuffle holes. Most neighbours were unaware of the badgers visiting their gardens each night and any snuffle holes were attributed to grey squirrels. Having said this I know some places do have trouble with them digging under houses and sheds! Several people round here feed them so perhaps that minimises the damage to lawns etc. as, after all, they would be looking for worms. I know that feeding them is frowned on in some circles.

I think it would be illegal to use creosote now as a deterrent even if you could get hold of it.

Susy said:
Are you sure it's badgers digging? I have known of badgers in my garden for over 10 years and the damage they do is limited to occasional snuffle holes. Most neighbours were unaware of the badgers visiting their gardens each night and any snuffle holes were attributed to grey squirrels. Having said this I know some places do have trouble with them digging under houses and sheds! Several people round here feed them so perhaps that minimises the damage to lawns etc. as, after all, they would be looking for worms. I know that feeding them is frowned on in some circles.

I think it would be illegal to use creosote now as a deterrent even if you could get hold of it.

You're quite right Susy. In fact I've just found out that, as from March this year, Reynardine has also been banned - though I'm not quite sure why.

If the damage is occuring at night I doubt it's squirrels that are causing it - the only other mammal I can think of is Wild Boar, don't know if there's a feral population in the area? Foxes eat a great many worms but don't tend to dig for them as Badgers do, simply taking them off the surface on wet nights.

saluki

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back