• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

pan-African field guide (1 Viewer)

Charles Harper

Régisseur
Someone somewhere mentioned a new field guide covering all of Africa (or at least sub-Saharan Africa) but I cannot locate the thread. Anyone remember author/title/publisher?

I need it before the next photo quiz!

Thanks...

Last edited:
Hi Charlie boy, hope the English teaching is going well. I think it's this one

Birds of Africa South of the Sahara
Ian Sinclair and Peter Ryan
Assisted by Patrice Christy and Phil Hockey
Illustrated by Norman Arlott, Peter Hayman, and Alan Harris

Paper | February 2004 | $45.00 / £29.95 | ISBN: 0-691-11815-9
760 pp. | 5-5/6 x 8-1/4 | 359 color plates. 2,100+ maps.

Shopping Cart

Attachments

• j7721.gif
    j7721.gif
    19.5 KB · Views: 180
I can't imagine this book actually being taken into the field but I do feel the urge to have it on my bookshelf! Looks like a good compromise to buying the umpteen volume Birds of Africa.

...And now ordered from Amazon at a good price, $ 31.50 plus $11.50 s & h.

(And well, thanks, Tim, I'm booked solid and thinking of raising my fees.)

steve_nova said:
Just came across this thread, think I will get the book too.

I would look at it first - seems a heck of a lot of birds to cover properly in one book to me - even the West African book by Borrow is a chunky monkey.

Steve

It's not THAT big-- 21 x 15 x 4 cm. Illustrations are good-sized, many lifted from the SASOL So. Africa guide, text is terse but reasonably thorough, clear range maps, easy indexing. Now, I just wish I could get out there and use it..

Charles Harper said:
It's not THAT big-- 21 x 15 x 4 cm. Illustrations are good-sized, many lifted from the SASOL So. Africa guide, text is terse but reasonably thorough, clear range maps, easy indexing. Now, I just wish I could get out there and use it..

I agree, in fact it is just about the same size as the excellent field guide for East Africa alone by Stevenson and Fanshawe. And this with more than 700 additional species! Some of the offset is achieved just by its soft cover.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back