• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Budget" two weeks in July - NW and Papallacta (1 Viewer)

curtA2

Great threads below. Unfortunately, it appears I will be travelling alone, which makes hiring guides much more difficult money-wise. I'm hoping to be able to hook up with others. I think I especially would like a guide for Papallacta/Antisana, and probably Pululahula for Antipittas. My self-inflicted budget is $2k after airfare. But I will sleep on the ground and live on protein powder and noodles in exchange for great birding. Then again, I will probably bust the budget. I have been very limited in birding for a number of years, and am really just getting back in. So, I will be wanting to see everything, but my focus really will be on the flashy stuff. I'll try to photo/video everything too :) But the motivation started as 1. High - Condor, Ecuadorian Hillstar, Giant Hummer, Seedsnipe and their neighbors, 2. Photograph Mountain Toucans and Mountain Tanagers, 3. Antpittas, 4. Flashy hummers of course, 5. 1400 or so other species :) Not necessarily in this order. If I had time, I would put on the backpack and hit backcountry, but this trip will be about maximizing species, photolist and soaking up the crowd pleasers. Fruit feeders for Tanager etc photos will be at a premium for me.
It looks like cheap beds and camping are easy to find, I expect to rent a car, although if guides have cars .... and hit Gunago/Papallacta/Antisana 3-4 days, Yanacocha, Tandayapa, maybe Yellow House/Tangaras, Paz, Un Poco del Choco, Mashpi Amagusa, Mangaloma and Silanche 10 days. (Looks like I'll need to whittle that down, sigh), Plus I'd love some hits like Umbrellabirds, Lyre-Tailed Nightjar, Oilbird, ... Anybody that wants to chat, I'm available as I can think of nothing else but this trip right now :) Anybody that wants to come and share guide and car rental and see a boatload of birds, welcome!

Wow, Yellowhouse lodging is $25 a night including Breakfast. Sounds like a potential base camp. How would that be? Hole up there and make day trips out to all the above named places?

Unfortunately, it appears I will be travelling alone, which makes hiring guides much more difficult money-wise.

The folks at Yellow House in Mindo suggested Julia Patino as a guide back in 2015. She arranged transportation, picked us up at Cabanas San Isidro, guided us en route at Guango & along Papallacta Pass, and picked us up each morning for birding at a number of great locations. She delivered on my nemesis Sunbittern! Highly recommended. Reasonable rates at least back then.

Gary H

She was busy when we visited but they found another guide we used for one day to the lower elevations from Mindo (Milpe etc). I cannot remember cost.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back