• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I Think It's Finally Spring! (1 Viewer)

Tammie

:hi:
Hi Forum!

Well, you can't trust the weather for spring but I'm finally seeing avian signs of spring around here. I found a redwinged blackbird and a brown headed cowbird on my lawn this morning. One grackle yesterday and about a dozen starlings. My husband saw some geese yesterday morning. The woodpeckers can actually stand the sight of each other without bringing down the neighborhood... two downies on the same suet feeder at the same time! Unheard of! ;)
Some of my missing birds have returned today... I had more evening grosbeaks and a few purple finches today. Still only 3 or 4 chickadees and one nuthatch. Maybe it's the racket from the crows and ravens making them leave for somewhere quieter!
You would think Ontario was split into two worlds... it was in the high 20°'sC today in souther Ontario and only up to 0°C up here! No fair!! I want summer too! :'D

Your numbers all change with every post, Tammie, but I can see what you meant! Good job, posting again.

We've had unseasonably warm temps for about 3 days now, and although I've had no time since Sunday to look at the birds (but my taxes are done, hurray!!), the weather has been spectacular. It's now past 9:30pm, and on the 15th of April, it's still about 70 degrees out, my front door is open with the screen in, and there's a window open in my bedroom. The cats are LOVING being able to stand up at the door and smell the fresh air and listen to the night sounds (me, too!).

Of course, it's coming to an end. There's front predicted to move in, dropping the temps, bringing rain and generally making a mess of Easter weekend (three days off -- yay!!).

But I don't care: my hyacinths are blooming, the forsythia down the street is rioting yellow, my hostas are pushing up steadily, the daylilies are announcing themselves, the columbine is above the leaves -- and as soon as the rain stops, the lawn will need mowing.

SPRING!!!!!!!

'Kay Beverleybaynes, I'm moving in with you!! :( Your place sounds more like summer than spring! It's -11°C here this morning and windy! BRRR! My hyacinths are still under 1 1/2 feet of snow, I can barely make out my tulips, brave souls that they are to pop up in these temperatures. The meadow voles had a grand old time in my yard again over the winter so I have major damage to my brand new cherry bushes and my 2 year old crabapple tree. I have the most faith in my peony tree though... they haven't touched it and last year, it gave me the most beautiful HUGE flower!
It'll warm up eventually..... I think!

It's ridiculously warm over here too...

I was up with the best of 'em in early Jan complaining abou the rain, but since about the 5th or so we've barely seen a drop.

January was the sunniest on records, February was the sunniest for about 20 years, March the sunniest on record...

Things took a slight dip a week or so ago, but it's been warm again since Monday and it's about 25 degrees C (77F) today and glorious. Should about 12C (54F) apparently.

Mind you it's Easter this weekend, so the weather's bound to be rubbish!

Don't say that birdman I'm going to a BBQ on Sunday!

Its meant to be the hottest easter on record as well so it should be a good weekend.

:-C You guys are just being cruel now! It's still -10°C here and blustery. I hear they're calling for snow this weekend. I think it's time to move.....!
It's kind of funny though.... it was almost 30°C in southern Ontario yesterday... today, it's only going to be about 5°! Ouch!

Andrew, considering it's still below zero here and threatening snow again.... you're a cruel, cruel man! :( The only heat we're getting here is from the wood stove!

Gee Tammie, I guess you would rather not hear of my 75 degree days and my mid 50's nights then.
Seriously, it is the first rain free week we have had all month to date and it has been marvelous. Unfortunately the good weather does have a down side here. Takes 20 minutes to make an ordinarily 5 minute car trip.

Tammie, spring is arriving here in Interior Alaska too. Supposed to reach 50 F today, we are over 14 hours of daylight and rising daily.Geese and swans have been showing up at the Refuge all week. I haven't spotted my first robin yet, to me that is the true arrival of spring.

Wow, Kevin, that sounds exactly like here! I always knew I wanted to see Alaska... didn't realize I almost LIVED there! :) No robins here yet either.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back