• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Montrose Basin (1 Viewer)

Pancho85

Hi,

I've arrived to Aberdeen this week, and I was planning to visit tomorrow Montrose Basin. I will go there by train, and I was wondering what is the best route I can follow from Montrose Station to see as many birds as possible.

What do you recommend?

Thanks!

Welcome to Aberdeen. You can actually see a reasonable amount from the station platform, which is right next to the basin. It depends a bit on the tide as to how much will be there though. The tide will mostly be low tomorrow but rising towards late afternoon. A rising tide but still with some mud will probably be best e.g. mid afternoon. There's a road that leads close to the shore just north of the bridge (just off Bridge Street) that also gives good views. Otherwise you will have a bit of a walk along some slightly busy roads. The visitor centre is on the south side and gives good views. The A935 gives access to the north side.

I must admit, if you're in Aberdeen without a car and want to see some estuary and wetland birds, I'd strongly recommend that you go to the Ythan Estuary near Newburgh rather than Montrose. A lot of the buses to Peterhead will stop in Newburgh and from there it's an easy walk to the river mouth. The Ythan is much narrower than Montrose and the birds gives good views in most tidal conditions. The upper part of the estuary is a bit harder on foot or by public transport but the lower section is really easy to do.

Thanks Andrew!! Finally I dind't go, I've been birding in Torry and I saw so many interesting birds!!! Next week I will try to go to Newburh then!

Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back